Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2005 11:31:41 PM EDT
As some of you may know, the wife and I are buying acerage to build a new house on. This is the one we decided on:

www.houseplans.com/plan_details.asp?id=4346&st=42

So, any cool gadgets and gizmos you think would be a must have for a new home, let me know about them. I'm already looking into fingerprint recognizing door locks.

Kris
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful looking home.

Post pics of the whole process.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Wire the whole house for cable and network.

Possibly make a slightly raised platform to bolt your safe onto?

prewire for an alarm system - doors, glass break, contacts, fire

Have a home theater setup? prewire for the speakers.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks nice.  If you are building your own house how about a subterrarean pistol range?  Dont skimp on the environmental stuff like ventilation and lead-catchers though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Already planning to do most of that. As for the safe, I plan to build a sement vault in the basement.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend the money to put in a good HVAC system. Do NOT buy it from the builder. Hire your own HVAC contractor to do the work once it has been built.

If you have any questions about this feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

Great layout,  I like that the master is downstairs.

Congrats!

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Think you could get the tub in the master bath changed out to a large shower with a glass door and install multiple shower heads?

How are you going to do the hot water - centran heater, or insta-heat at each tap?

ETA: Do you have to go through the bathroom to get to the master closet?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
ttt
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it a lot!  I sent the link to my wife.  She's itching to have a house built too.  I would probably go for the fourth bedroom and maybe a three car bay (if possible).  Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So, any cool gadgets and gizmos you think would be a must have for a new home, let me know about them. I'm already looking into fingerprint recognizing door locks.

Kris

one minigun per window.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Deffinately have it wired with Cat 6 for gigabit ethernet.  Nice looking home, do you plan on landscaping it like the picture?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Xceltronix

I have the autocloser and it attaches to my Craftsman (or any) opener and will timeout and automatically close the garage door.  It can be temporarily disabled and accepts an I-button open signal.  The I-button key FOB terminal is an option, but I have the NEW fingerprint reader to open/close my garage!  It debuts this week and I have been beta testing it!  It will be on their website soon, and it is going to debut this wednesday at a security conference in New York.  It is sweet.  It holds many PIN, temporary PIN, and of course fingerprints.  It sends a 64 bit code to the receiver for opening/closing the door.  The fingerprint part is sweet when it is not wet or sweaty.  The fingerprint reader can also talk to another little I-button receiver that will activate a door strike (preferably fail-secure).  Check them out - you can also get the autocloser at www.smarthome.com.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

make sure the smoke/fire detectors are connected to the alarm system because most builders cheat on this...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Put a seperate phone line in the vault
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Already planning to do most of that. As for the safe, I plan to build a sement vault in the basement.

So that's what Peter North is doing now days.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Have fun building the house
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Yo Kris, where are you building her at?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
House is too small for a custom built on acreage. You need to eclipse the magic mark of 2000 square feet. Over 2500 would be better and 3000 if you can swing it. I say this due to resell value.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
a decent fire suppression system isn't going to be as expensive if you include it in your original construction and can save a bundle on insurance.  Besides, in your vault, have a CO2 system, not only douse fires, but makes the area uninhabitable for burglars and co2 is cheap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Spend the money to put in a good HVAC system. Do NOT buy it from the builder. Hire your own HVAC contractor to do the work once it has been built.

Yes what he said with a couple of add ons, put in HVAC before you insulate and rock it.
Go with an upgraded system that controls moisture in all seasons with dehumidifier/humidifier and variable air flow.
Also might as well put in the electronic air cleaner.

Go with the highest energy efficient rating you can afford in the furnace (My two 93 %) and go with at least a 14 seer for the air cond. (rebates help bring down the cost a little)
You won't be wasting the money, trust me on that.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1 That is an awesome idea
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 That is an awesome idea

Put emergency cell phone in with external antena in case BGs cut the phone line.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
buddy of mine had a great idea.

put a grease pit in the garage.  fix a setup where you can get *under* your vehicle.

my buddy doesn't even work on his own cars, other that oil changes.  it's saved him a ton of money on repairs.  you can see if the shock really is leaking, or not.... or the tranny...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So that's what Peter North is doing now days.

Yep, I'm retarded. The sad part is, I know how to spell cement.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yo Kris, where are you building her at?

Lapeer. It's going to be on M-24 just north of the city and about 5 miles from the pit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
House is too small for a custom built on acreage. You need to eclipse the magic mark of 2000 square feet. Over 2500 would be better and 3000 if you can swing it. I say this due to resell value.

I want to keep it under $250k for the build. With my gun buying and such, I don't want to spend much more. Also, once I finish the basement, it will be near the 3000 sq ft mark.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
a decent fire suppression system isn't going to be as expensive if you include it in your original construction and can save a bundle on insurance.  Besides, in your vault, have a CO2 system, not only douse fires, but makes the area uninhabitable for burglars and co2 is cheap.

I'll look into the fire system. I want to use the vault as a safe room too, so I don't think that would be a good idea in there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I would agree with that.  One of my friends just built a 2300 sq ft house on an acre lot and the lot is still huge compared to the house.  If you are going through all the hassle of a custom build you should make it larger.  My friends house is one of the smallest in her neighborhood...meaning if you ever sell the house people aren't going to be paying top dollar for it because of the small size.

BTW, as with most new construction by the time it's done you will hate your builder and you will be begging for standard door locks just so you can get the darn thing finished.  

As for cool things, it's not that noticable but you should look at putting insulation in the interior walls of the bedrooms and bathrooms.  It's not that expensive compared to the overall value of the house and very easy to do before the drywall goes up.  I told my friend this over and over while she was building her house but she was so frustrated with the builder that she didn't want to bother.  Now she is complaining that everyone in the living room can hear whoever is going to the bathroom that sits just around the corner.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Put a sink with hot/cold water in the garage.  Put a drain in the garage floor.  Insulate garage walls and get insulated garage door.  

Have the HVAC guys duct the garage.  Also, extra wiring, even rough in for bathroom.  Later,if you need/want more space, and  since you are on acreage, turn garage into living space and build freestanding garage.

Lots of 110 outlets on exterior.  Prewire for exterior lighting.  Both security and landscape lighting.

Gas lines so you can switch to gas or electric appliances as times change.

Have wiring set up to run a genset for power failure.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#31]
What's the garage for? Storing boxes?

A garage that size is pointless. Don't be expecting to park your vehicles in there. Unless, of course, you drive clown cars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes what he said with a couple of add ons, put in HVAC before you insulate and rock it.
Go with an upgraded system that controls moisture in all seasons with dehumidifier/humidifier and variable air flow.
Also might as well put in the electronic air cleaner.

Go with the highest energy efficient rating you can afford in the furnace (My two 93 %) and go with at least a 14 seer for the air cond. (rebates help bring down the cost a little)
You won't be wasting the money, trust me on that.

Thank you for clarifying that. You should have your HVAC sub in just as they are finishing the frame of the house, before the electricians and plumbers start taking space. Duct is the biggest and hardest to run through out the house so we get first dibs on space.

Jrzy is dead nuts when he says go for the good stuff. 90%+ variable speed furnace, humidifier for the dry winters and electronic spaceguard air filter, 13+ seer A/c system and a high efficiency hot water tank. You will be saving a ton and the comfort level is wonderful.

Also go with name brand equipment. Trane, York, Carrier, Rheem. Check into extended warranty plans. I sell a 10 year parts and labor warranty package for around $600. That is the cost of two service calls and parts over a ten year period. You would be nuts to think that you won't have a service tech out to your house twice in ten years for your HVAC equipment.

Lots to ponder when building a house. I'll be glad to give you any advice I can
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice house.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Less gadgets, more square footage.  The plan shows 1666 sq. ft.  I recommend bigger.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Good plan, take yourself over th the Sf forum, I am getting ready to break ground. I have been posting over there. THink about modular, yu can custom them even build them foirm your plans. I am having the best HVAC put in like $13,000, but it is better than they will require for a few years.

And they make a new vinyl siding that has a foam back, it is R4 by itself. Make your garage 10 or so feet longer, just some more walls and trusses...you get a nice shop.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

A garage that size is pointless. Don't be expecting to park your vehicles in there. Unless, of course, you drive clown cars.

The builder is changing the garage to a 24' x 24'. I told him I want to be able to park my Silverado in there with the GTO. There is also a 30' x 40' pole barn already on site. It needs some TLC, but we can make it nice. 24' x 24' will be plenty for the two vehicles.

Kris
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Phone lines and cable in the kitchen, garage and bathrooms (near the toilet).

Cable & phone(digitalTV) over the fireplace for the flat screen.

Network in every room as well.

Wire for security cameras and ceiling mounted/wall mounted speakers.

Digital night vision.

ETA: hardwired generator & line conditioner, if you can afford them.

Electrical spike protection, including cable and phones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Less gadgets, more square footage.  The plan shows 1666 sq. ft.  I recommend bigger.

You guys forget that it is only the two of us. We don't have kids nor do we plan on them (we take measures to make sure there are no "accidents" either) We don't plan to sell the house. At least not in the next 10 years or so. The basement will be finished also, so that will add more square footage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I think you are going to need a sandbag nest up on the roof so you have a place to put the 1919.

Good thought. I'll run that past the wife.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#40]
With all the roof lines, I'd recommend the sticky rubber instead of tar paper under the  shingles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#41]
The interior balcony (sp) over the front door is a nice touch, and good for those "front door ambush" scenarios.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I like it a lot!  I sent the link to my wife.  She's itching to have a house built too.  I would probably go for the fourth bedroom and maybe a three car bay (if possible).  Very nice.

Concur with Sandguard.  If you have the ducats, go with the extra bedroom.  Install your own door and make it windowless (but put in firing ports).  OK, they're actually handy for in-laws when they visit and they will visit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Fire suppression is a good idea for sure, duplex outlets, 250 Amp service or more, one ton more for the A/C unit than what would be "recommended", insulation inside interior walls for noise dampening, and low maintenance materials for the exterior of the home.

Lots of good ideas already posted.

Just remember one thing, and don't gloss over it. Strongly consider the tips/ideas given NOW, and if you want any of them, put them into the house WHILE it is being built otherwise it will cost a lot more in time, money, and frustration after the house is done and you're living in it. Don't skimp either because you get what you pay for and going cheap or not doing something you would have liked to WILL cost you later on.

Congratulations and post pics and update during the build.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#44]
If you are on acreage you might want to think about views to the outside all around your house. I just built a house on 12 acres and I love my covered front porch and my screened in back porch, something to think about. Many people need to have their garages face the front of the house because they live in town and do not have enough room to have a side garage door. You have the space you might want to think about putting the garage door on the side of the house. Make sure you run two coax cables to each TV outlet if you are going to have satellite because DVR requires this if you want to watch one channel and record another. Insulate you garage. If money permits, insulating the interior walls is nice. Don’t put up drywall in the garage. Use 3/8 plywood and pegboard instead that way you can nail/screw anything anywhere you want and you don’t have to worry about finding a stud. Also you won’t dent the soft drywall when doing manly things in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#45]
You should have a secret passage that opens when you pull a certain book out of the bookcase.

Guess what goes on the other end of the secret passage?

Could be a high tech laboratory or perhaps a torture dungeon, depending on your own personality.

A safe room with huge pile of precious gems might be nice also.

There, i gave you some excellent ideas, now RUN WITH IT.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Get infloor radiant heat in the basement floor.  I did that, and it's nice in all year round.  I have it on a thermostat, and the heat naturally rises, so it helps heat the upper floors.

www.wirsbo.com/main.php?pm=1&mm=1&sm=0&pc=homeowner/ho_mm1sm0.php

Get the A/C and radiant floor on the cycled powered if your utility company does that.  It'll save you money and you won't notice the cycling.

Plan the room layout for the basement.  It will affect loadbearing walls, elect, egress windows, etc.  Remember to get the basement bathroom roughed in and any needed floor drains.  Also get any windows stained in any unfinished areas.  They'll get sun damage without it.  Get the HVAC ductwork planned out for the basement.  You don't want to move wires/lights, etc if you decide to finish the basement, and they need to all a lot of ductwork.

Another thing: See if you can remove the wall between the LvgRm/DngRm and the HearthRm which will give you a Great Room.  I think you'll like that layout.  My kitchen, dining room and living room flow into each other.  If the wall is loadbearing, you should still be able to handle that with a manufactured beam and a wellplanned column.

My biggest 'complaint' about the plan is the second floor.  I would suggest that you put that floor space on the ground floor.  It's easier to move things if you don't need to go up stairs.

Also consider going with larger interior doors.  I went with 3-0 doors, and I like the extra width.  I'm a big guy, so that might be one reason.

If you can afford it, go with a Corian or similar surface in the kitchen.  You have two or three seams which can cause a laminate to lift if there's any water (and it's a kitchen, so there will be lots of water).

Just checking:  Is this the floor plan you really want?  It may have much of what you want, but you're not really stuck with what someone planned for some other house.  Your builder can make changes to that if you wish.  Just throwing the handgrenade into the planning cycle....

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Install some tiny IR cameras in every room. Trust me, when you break in the laundry room in a husband/wife kinda way, the video will be worth keeping.

Oh, and mount some handlebars on the headboards.

Also, put a urinal in, it'll save your marriage down the line.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Kris,

Does the builder own the land?

Chris

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Nice home.  The architecture is beautiful.

How much is this going to run you? 250k?  Is that with or without the land?

Max
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The builder is changing the garage to a 24' x 24'. I told him I want to be able to park my Silverado in there with the GTO. There is also a 30' x 40' pole barn already on site. It needs some TLC, but we can make it nice. 24' x 24' will be plenty for the two vehicles.

That's much better.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top