Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2005 7:59:22 PM EDT
Needs:  Medium frame woman, needs for self-defense at home (in case I'm ever not at home). NOT for a CCW.

Choices so far at the local shop:

1) USED Sig Pro 40 in .40 cal for $440 (probably negotiable)
2) USED Sig .40 cal (226???) for about $500 (not likely negotiable)
3) NEW Springfield XD .40 cal for about $570 (not negotiable)
4) NEW Glock .40 cal (model 4473????) (not negotiable)

Sorry for the incomplete information.  Hope it's enough to form an opinion.  She likes the fact that the Springfield is light like the Glock but not too light to amplify recoil.  I lean toward the Sigs but she thinks they are too heavy and big.

Advice please.  I've tried to research this, but I'm having a bit of trouble making a final decision.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks for legitimate replies.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
SHE needs to decide.

Take her to a range the rents, and let her pick one out.

I'm up to about 5 guns for the wife now, the last was a .38 spl Taurus revolver - which she hates, and she can shoot the shit out of my 1911, which she didnt' think she could hand the recoil of.

Go figure.   Now if I can just get her to be able to rack the slide....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
XD
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
XD, no question
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you checked out the Sig P239 and P232?

ETA: found at good prices, used, on CDNN, I think.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SHE needs to decide.

Take her to a range the rents, and let her pick one out.

I'm up to about 5 guns for the wife now, the last was a .38 spl Taurus revolver - which she hates, and she can shoot the shit out of my 1911, which she didnt' think she could hand the recoil of.

Go figure.   Now if I can just get her to be able to rack the slide....

Don't worry.  She will make the final decision.......it's going to be her handgun.  She specifically asked me to ask here, for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1 on the 239...but you should really let her pick some up and hold them.

HH
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
XD

Why?  I hear nothing but bad things about other Springfield products.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don't worry.  She will make the final decision.......it's going to be her handgun.  She specifically asked me to ask here, for some reason.

See if you can get her out shooting them before buying, that's what I'm saying here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

She picked them all up at the shop.  She is leaning toward the XD, but wanted more input because my handgun knowlege is wanting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See if you can get her out shooting them before buying, that's what I'm saying here.

Ah.  Good point.  I'm not sure I can arrange that.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked the 232, owned one and had to sell it, but was happy that one of the local LEO's (who are pretty cool where I lived) got it, so wasn't a total waste.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

+1 on the 239 in .40S&W
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Sig man myself, but as stated above...if she doesnt like it you've just bought yourself another Sig..and still  be looking for something for her.    What feels comfortable in her hand is what matters, if its going to be "hers".  

I have a P226 in 40/357s.   I have both barrels which is always fun. The 357(s) is always a fun home protection round, if she misses, the white flash will blind the intruder enough for her to have another chance....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Has she tried holding a S&W or Ruger 3" revolver?  Some women really like revolvers, and they know that the gun will go bang all 6 shots...and wouldn't get freaked out if an auto jammed for some unknown reason.

Revolvers typically feel really good in the hand, so maybe that's the ticket.....

HH
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Get her a Glock 19 or 17 with a 33 rd Glock magazine. Loaded with your choice of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Has she tried holding a S&W or Ruger 3" revolver?  Some women really like revolvers, and they know that the gun will go bang all 6 shots...and wouldn't get freaked out if an auto jammed for some unknown reason.
Revolvers typically feel really good in the hand, so maybe that's the ticket.....

HH

this is EXACTLY why i got my S&W 357 revolver--i shot guns belonging to friends before i decided on mine
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]
giacutter: Has you wife ever shot before? Is somewhat experienced in shooting? A pistol would be not an ideal first gun for a newbie type shooter.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

HH

She fired a .38 revolver and didn't like it.  Fired a .357 revolver and HATED it.
I think she views revolvers as ineffective and undesirable.  But I'll double-check with her.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Let her shoot lots of guns.

She'll know when she gets the right one.

Make it be like "shopping"

Which it is, actually.

When she gets the right one....wow.  You'll know.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
giacutter: Has you wife ever shot before? Is somewhat experienced in shooting? A pistol would be not an ideal first gun for a newbie type shooter.

She has shot many handguns in the past and is rather proficient with them; in fact she is a better handgunner than I at this point.

I have tried to sell her on the AR or even a "Lady Bushmaster/Carbon-15" type rifle for home defense, but she is most comfortable with a handgun....therefore I will likely forgo the SEBR in order to get the handgun for her.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Which it is, actually.

+1

Exactly....same thing happended to Mrs. HH, and now we both carry 239's in 9mm.

HH
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sig man myself, but as stated above...if she doesnt like it you've just bought yourself another Sig..and still  be looking for something for her.    What feels comfortable in her hand is what matters, if its going to be "hers".  

You're probably right.  I really want the Sig for her, but I should back off.  I think I may be pushing it too hard because it's the one I would want.  Thanks to everyone for helping straighten me out.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which it is, actually.

+1

Exactly....same thing happended to Mrs. HH, and now we both carry 239's in 9mm.

HH

This appears to clearly be the best option.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
What ever you/she picks, I'm glad to see another man arming his wife in the even that he isn't there to protect her. Good job.

I'm thinking something in 9mm might be for her, since she hated the 38 and 357, I'm guessing that the 40 and 45 might be too snappy for her, but then again, I'm not married to her.

Have you looked at Walther P99 in any of the calibers? 40/45/9? They are great handguns and feel amazing, not to mention she can change the backstraps to fit her hands.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

HH

+1
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What ever you/she picks, I'm glad to see another man arming his wife in the even that he isn't there to protect her. Good job.

I'm thinking something in 9mm might be for her, since she hated the 38 and 357, I'm guessing that the 40 and 45 might be too snappy for her, but then again, I'm not married to her.

Have you looked at Walther P99 in any of the calibers? 40/45/9? They are great handguns and feel amazing, not to mention she can change the backstraps to fit her hands.

I'll look into it.  I don't want to hijack my own thread, but I think that the .40 is a  superior caliber overall and the recoil is not significantly worse than 9mm, but again, we'll have to find a way to get her to the range with a nice selection to get her opinion.

Nice avatar, BTW.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife eventually decided on carrying a S&W Model 60 Snub Nose .357 but she carries it loaded with +P .38 Specials.  We have a 3" Model 60 that she enjoys shooting at the range and it serves double duty as a house gun.

She likes shooting the Glock 23 she bought me for my birthday a few years ago, more than I (a 1911 type of guy) do but she has trouble working the slide.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]
A woman's perspective?  I'm a small to medium framed woman.  My home defense isn't a handgun - its a shotgun.  When I went to the police academy they taught us that the ratchet of the shotgun deterred more crimes then anything else.  Do her a favor, buy her a pump action shotgun [under 300 dollars].  Its the safest, best home protection money can buy.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

When I went to the police academy they taught us that the ratchet of the shotgun deterred more crimes then anything else.

Patty

Or just buy a TAPE RECORDING of the racking sound!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I went to the police academy they taught us that the ratchet of the shotgun deterred more crimes then anything else.

Patty

Hey now, no fun if you can't follow through!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

False advertising?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

False advertising?  

Really.  Could you imagine making someone Poop em full with a tape recording?  Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
A woman's perspective?  I'm a small to medium framed woman.  My home defense isn't a handgun - its a shotgun.  When I went to the police academy they taught us that the ratchet of the shotgun deterred more crimes then anything else.  Do her a favor, buy her a pump action shotgun [under 300 dollars].  Its the safest, best home protection money can buy.

Patty

I have offered to purchase her a shotgun or lightweight AR for home defense use.  She insists on a handgun. It is strictly her preference.  It's what she is most familiar with and most comfortable with.   Personally, when I'm at home and hear a bump in the night, I grab the 16" AR.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

+1

I was at the range with Mrs Goon the other day and, she saw me do a transition drill from Shotty to pistola.  

I re-holstered,a nd, she said:  "Show me how to do that."  

I went on to explain it was all just muscle memory, so as to not freak out if a misfire happens.

I don't buy the revolver/auto-misfire "freakout" aregument.  If you are going to carry it, train on it.  It's your choice as to whether you're going to freak out.

-tap
-rack
-bang

Not busting on anyone, just sayin'.

Oh, next range day,

-Warm ups
-Transition drills

Family fun.

Revolvers are......Quaint.  If that's what she likes, buy her one
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

I have offered to purchase her a shotgun or lightweight AR for home defense use.  She insists on a handgun. It is strictly her preference.  It's what she is most familiar with and most comfortable with.   Personally, when I'm at home and hear a bump in the night, I grab the 16" AR.

Has she shot the AR?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Well then I would recommend a 38.  Simple, accurate and deadly.  I wouldn't use my AR as a home defense.  Those puppies hit hard and fast.  I can't imagine what the back stop of one is.  I would imagine worse case scenerio a single shot could go through a perp, a wall, and beyond?

Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Has she shot the AR?

Frequently.  Likes the lack of recoil and it's fine at the range, but even though it is only a 16", she says it is too heavy to hold for long for a home defense role.  Her opinion, not mine.  I have to get something she feels comfortable with up front, or there is the risk of her balking at using it when the time comes.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I wouldn't use my AR as a home defense.  Those puppies hit hard and fast.  I can't imagine what the back stop of one is.  I would imagine worse case scenerio a single shot could go through a perp, a wall, and beyond?

Patty

A whole new can of worms and a new thread entirely.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#41]
giacutter,
Check out the S&W sigma 9ve or 9gve. My wife didn't like the Rugers I had but really liked the Sigmas at the store. Trigger pull was good  and lack of levers to be operated was a definate plus. Short story, she practiced with it a couple of times, took her CCW course with it , passed no problem, and even took it to San Antonio with her on an overnight business trip last month when I couldn't accompany her. And let her try it out and buy it on her own, it kicks in the "shop and buy" mode thing  big time. And down here they cost 300 as compared to a glock for 500 - and it 's the same gun. Check'em out. And go over to the S&W site to learn how to lighten the trigger pull. And if you insist on a .40 they sellem for the same price.
leroy
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

I know this lady who is deathly afraid of guns but she keeps one of those old credit card sales machines on her nightstand.  You know, the kind you insert the carbon copy form into.  It makes a sound similar to a pump action shotgun.

I agree with you Patty, the best overall HD gun is a 12g pump action shotgun.  Second best is a 20g.  After that revolvers.

Edit: IMHO the most important thing about a HD gun is reliability.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Well then I would recommend a 38.  Simple, accurate and deadly.  I wouldn't use my AR as a home defense.  Those puppies hit hard and fast.  I can't imagine what the back stop of one is.  I would imagine worse case scenerio a single shot could go through a perp, a wall, and beyond?

Patty

Patty, I understand what you're saying...Lord knows, it's been

My wife really likes the AR.  If a guy is breaking down the door, I give two craps less about penetration.  Perp gets dead.

'Course my walls are rock

My wife still goes for "her" shotty on instinct.  20 gauge remmy 870.  First one I ever bought her for "Goat defense"  

That's the one she used a few weeks back as detailed on other threads.

I'm sure the woman in question will find the right piece when she shoots it
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't use my AR as a home defense.  Those puppies hit hard and fast.  I can't imagine what the back stop of one is.  I would imagine worse case scenerio a single shot could go through a perp, a wall, and beyond?

Patty

I'd be interested in the consensus.  I've shot a 125 pound deer from 200+ yards away with my AR.  I doubt my 1500 sq ft house would slow the projectile down much.  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

I know this lady who is deathly afraid of guns but she keeps one of those old credit card sales machines on her nightstand.  You know, the kind you insert the carbon copy form into.  It makes a sound similar to a pump action shotgun.

I agree with you Patty, the best overall HD gun is a 12g pump action shotgun.  Second best is a 20g.  After that revolvers.

Edit: IMHO the most important thing about a HD gun is reliability.

Well women in general [myself included] are fickled that is for sure.  My aunt has a tape recording of a Doberman.  Personally, I live in an area with NO CRIME and I have an arsenal.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
giacutter,
Check out the S&W sigma 9ve or 9gve. My wife didn't like the Rugers I had but really liked the Sigmas at the store. Trigger pull was good  and lack of levers to be operated was a definate plus. Short story, she practiced with it a couple of times, took her CCW course with it , passed no problem, and even took it to San Antonio with her on an overnight buisness trip last month when I couldn't acompany her. And let her try it out and buy it on her own, it kicks in the "shop and buy" mode thing  big time. And down here the cost 300 as compared to a glock for 500 - and it 's the same gun. Check'em out. And go over to the S&W site to learn how to lighten the trigger pull.
leroy

I posted a question about SW sigmas a while back in the handgun forum and got the almost unanimus opinion that they were terrible guns.  I'll have to rethink that now.  Thanks for the tip.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Has she shot the AR?

Frequently.  Likes the lack of recoil and it's fine at the range, but even though it is only a 16", she says it is too heavy to hold for long for a home defense role.  Her opinion, not mine.  I have to get something she feels comfortable with up front, or there is the risk of her balking at using it when the time comes.

It's her opinion that matters.  I have a hard time with the "Heavy" issue, but, hey, it's her choice.  Whatever it is, train her on it hard.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

+1

I was at the range with Mrs Goon the other day and, she saw me do a transition drill from Shotty to pistola.  

I re-holstered,a nd, she said:  "Show me how to do that."  

I went on to explain it was all just muscle memory, so as to not freak out if a misfire happens.

I don't buy the revolver/auto-misfire "freakout" aregument.  If you are going to carry it, train on it.  It's your choice as to whether you're going to freak out.

-tap
-rack
-bang

Not busting on anyone, just sayin'.

Oh, next range day,

-Warm ups
-Transition drills

Family fun.

Revolvers are......Quaint.  If that's what she likes, buy her one

I went from carrying an auto to my revolver. Autos are really neat, but I have learned that the fewer problems the better. I just don't understand the desire to carry 45 rounds or more of handgun caliber ammo as a "solution" to a bad situation. A car is your most powerfull weapon. Rifle then shotgun are next. The handgun is only a time-delay device to change your situation.

I also love the full size 1911 guys who don't actually carry all the time (sometimes never) who talk dirt about smaller caliber pistols or revolvers. "Hey man, don't mess with me. I've got a really big pistol in/at my house, car, trunk etc." It worked for me for years and I can still strip my auto with my eyes closed but for real continuous concealed carry I think the revolver is still a contender. Especially for beginners or those who will infrequently train. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm pretty sure the .38 is the easiest, safest handgun for women.  I would recommend it.  Personally I carry a 1911 but its because I do not have unlimited resources and its what I have.  I like the .45 caliber but would rather have something smaller and lighter [like your wife is requesting].

Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

I'd be interested in the consensus.  I've shot a 125 pound deer from 200+ yards away with my AR.  I doubt my 1500 sq ft house would slow the projectile down much.  

Patty

Hey, leave the fawns alone! I got 140 pounds of meat off my last 4 point.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top