Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the .38 is the easiest, safest handgun for women.  I would recommend it.  Personally I carry a 1911 but its because I do not have unlimited resources and its what I have.  I like the .45 caliber but would rather have something smaller and lighter [like your wife is requesting].

Patty

She really doesn't like revolvers.  I really don't know why.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread is starting to bring a smile to my face.  The other night, I was going over HD applications of the shotty and, my wife finished one of my sentances with that "racking" thing.

I got the AR, and, put in a mag with dummy rounds.  I got the shotty out and said..

"Listen"

I overhanded a 12 gauge dummy round into the shotty, and, racked the slide forward, then, go the AR and, hit the slide release, and, chambered  a round.

"Do you hear a difference?"

She laughed...

"Not much"

Me niether.  Good case in point though.  Women, like men, learn when shown.  Bottom line, though, is she's gotta be comfortable as possible with one weapon, just like any beginning shooter.

Myth gives way to fact.  She'll get it
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the .38 is the easiest, safest handgun for women.  I would recommend it.  Personally I carry a 1911 but its because I do not have unlimited resources and its what I have.  I like the .45 caliber but would rather have something smaller and lighter [like your wife is requesting].

Patty

She really doesn't like revolvers.  I really don't know why.

Well to be honest me either.  They're bulky and slow.  They're not as pretty.  Go head laugh.  Its pathetic.  I really like my husband's .380.  Its so cute I want to pinch it.  But I really like the caliber of a .45.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This thread is starting to bring a smile to my face.  The other night, I was going over HD applications of the shotty and, my wife finished one of my sentances with that "racking" thing.

I got the AR, and, put in a mag with dummy rounds.  I got the shotty out and said..

"Listen"

I overhanded a 12 gauge dummy round into the shotty, and, racked the slide forward, then, go the AR and, hit the slide release, and, chambered  a round.

"Do you hear a difference?"

She laughed...

"Not much"

Me niether.  Good case in point though.  Women, like men, learn when shown.  Bottom line, though, is she's gotta be comfortable as possible with one weapon, just like any beginning shooter.

Myth gives way to fact.  She'll get it

I liked the story about the old lady who kept the old credit card carbon imprinter machine at her bedside to "rack the slide" when she felt endangered.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]

these are the 2 i got for my GF

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has she tried holding a S&W or Ruger 3" revolver?  Some women really like revolvers, and they know that the gun will go bang all 6 shots...and wouldn't get freaked out if an auto jammed for some unknown reason.

Revolvers typically feel really good in the hand, so maybe that's the ticket.....

HH

+1

I was at the range with Mrs Goon the other day and, she saw me do a transition drill from Shotty to pistola.  

I re-holstered,a nd, she said:  "Show me how to do that."  

I went on to explain it was all just muscle memory, so as to not freak out if a misfire happens.

I don't buy the revolver/auto-misfire "freakout" aregument.  If you are going to carry it, train on it.  It's your choice as to whether you're going to freak out.

-tap
-rack
-bang

Not busting on anyone, just sayin'.

Oh, next range day,

-Warm ups
-Transition drills

Family fun.

Revolvers are......Quaint.  If that's what she likes, buy her one

I went from carrying an auto to my revolver. Autos are really neat, but I have learned that the fewer problems the better. I just don't understand the desire to carry 45 rounds or more of handgun caliber ammo as a "solution" to a bad situation. A car is your most powerfull weapon. Rifle then shotgun are next. The handgun is only a time-delay device to change your situation.

I also love the full size 1911 guys who don't actually carry all the time (sometimes never) who talk dirt about smaller caliber pistols or revolvers. "Hey man, don't mess with me. I've got a really big pistol in/at my house, car, trunk etc." It worked for me for years and I can still strip my auto with my eyes closed but for real continuous concealed carry I think the revolver is still a contender. Especially for beginners or those who will infrequently train. Planerench out.

I carry a .40 with 12+1.  Big enough round, and large enough capacity.  Anyone that thinks you can't conceal a Walther P99 is out of thier mind.

Brother, if you like the revolver, go with god.  Not my choice, and, I don't think it's a smart choice, but,t he main thing is having the ability to put 'em downrange when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
No love of HK????  Damn near as reliable as a wheel gun.

USP in fullsize or compact
P2000 in compact or sub compact

Your choice of caliber.  Add a can if you so desire, or if you just think they are cool
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/rogerdodger11/walther_p99.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/rogerdodger11/cz75b_comp.jpg

Yikes...Some serious Buckage there brutha.

Walther is a good choice, though.  Mine's gone bang every time I pull the trigger with ammo in the mag
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Me likey!  How much for one of those?

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Ruger SP 101. She does not need the semi-autos, unless she is going to shoot quite often.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Your choice of caliber.  Add a can if you so desire, or if you just think they are cool

From what I understand about HK's and silencers, your proposal would require me to
1)sell my car to buy the gun and
2) go to Federal (ass-pounding) prison for the can

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand about HK's and silencers, your proposal would require me to

HK's are not that expensive!  I got my USP 45 for 500 plus tax.  Shop around.  Why would you be going to prison over a can?  Cause your to lazy to look up proper procedure on filing paperwork?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HK's are not that expensive!  I got my USP 45 for 500 plus tax.  Shop around.  Why would you be going to prison over a can?  Cause your to lazy to look up proper procedure on filing paperwork?

I stand corrected. That sounds suprisingly affordable.  

And yes, far too lazy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/rogerdodger11/walther_p99.jpg

Me likey!  How much for one of those?

Too much.  I got one.  I know.

Ge the S&W99...Same weapon, les money and you can mount an m3 on it casue the $%^&&%#%^^ RAILS AREN'T PROPRIATERIAL!!!!!!!

*whew*

Sorry.

I'm still mad I didn't do my homework.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
giacutter,
Check out the S&W sigma 9ve or 9gve. My wife didn't like the Rugers I had but really liked the Sigmas at the store. Trigger pull was good  and lack of levers to be operated was a definate plus. Short story, she practiced with it a couple of times, took her CCW course with it , passed no problem, and even took it to San Antonio with her on an overnight buisness trip last month when I couldn't acompany her. And let her try it out and buy it on her own, it kicks in the "shop and buy" mode thing  big time. And down here the cost 300 as compared to a glock for 500 - and it 's the same gun. Check'em out. And go over to the S&W site to learn how to lighten the trigger pull.
leroy

I posted a question about SW sigmas a while back in the handgun forum and got the almost unanimus opinion that they were terrible guns.  I'll have to rethink that now.  Thanks for the tip.

The last thing I consider when buying a gun is price.  The Sigma is a less expensive knockoff of a Glock.  The Sigma is not a bad gun but there are better.  If cost is an issue then I would suggest having a look at the Taurus Polymer Frame semi-auto line if you and your wife insist on a semi-auto.  You may want to have a look at Kahr's offerings too but they are more targeted for CCW use.

Once again, in agreement with Patty, for ease of use and reliability the best handgun for HD is a revolver.  .38 Special is enough, .357 Magnum is better.

We're not talking about a Zombie Attack situation here.  Satistically in most Home Defense situations one or two shots are fired at a range of less than ten feet to drive away, incapacitate or kill a single assailant.  Under these circumstances the firearm in question need to do one thing.  It needs to go off when you pull the trigger.  Even the cheapest Charter Arms Revolvers do that more reliably than any semi-auto handgun on the market.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has she tried holding a S&W or Ruger 3" revolver?  Some women really like revolvers, and they know that the gun will go bang all 6 shots...and wouldn't get freaked out if an auto jammed for some unknown reason.

Revolvers typically feel really good in the hand, so maybe that's the ticket.....

HH

+1

I was at the range with Mrs Goon the other day and, she saw me do a transition drill from Shotty to pistola.  

I re-holstered,a nd, she said:  "Show me how to do that."  

I went on to explain it was all just muscle memory, so as to not freak out if a misfire happens.

I don't buy the revolver/auto-misfire "freakout" aregument.  If you are going to carry it, train on it.  It's your choice as to whether you're going to freak out.

-tap
-rack
-bang

Not busting on anyone, just sayin'.

Oh, next range day,

-Warm ups
-Transition drills

Family fun.

Revolvers are......Quaint.  If that's what she likes, buy her one

I went from carrying an auto to my revolver. Autos are really neat, but I have learned that the fewer problems the better. I just don't understand the desire to carry 45 rounds or more of handgun caliber ammo as a "solution" to a bad situation. A car is your most powerfull weapon. Rifle then shotgun are next. The handgun is only a time-delay device to change your situation.

I also love the full size 1911 guys who don't actually carry all the time (sometimes never) who talk dirt about smaller caliber pistols or revolvers. "Hey man, don't mess with me. I've got a really big pistol in/at my house, car, trunk etc." It worked for me for years and I can still strip my auto with my eyes closed but for real continuous concealed carry I think the revolver is still a contender. Especially for beginners or those who will infrequently train. Planerench out.

I carry a .40 with 12+1.  Big enough round, and large enough capacity.  Anyone that thinks you can't conceal a Walther P99 is out of thier mind.

Brother, if you like the revolver, go with god.  Not my choice, and, I don't think it's a smart choice, but,t he main thing is having the ability to put 'em downrange when the SHTF.

I hear ya. I just have seen too many guys who don't shoot much themselves bellying up to the counter with their wife who knows even less (usually nothing) about firearms and asking the clerk for the Glock, Colt, Ruger etc. auto pistol for his wife to own with extra bullets and clips.

I suggested a revolver to a lady corrections officer who was intent on buying a full sized Glock fowty because that was the only thing the guy at the range had shown her. It didn't fit her hand, she had no intention of becomming a gun nut and training, and when she finally purchased it she dropped it in her purse and the bottom of the grip/magazine was sticking out the top!

I applaud those who train and pack autos. My shooting mentor is a former IDPA champion but the revolver is still the MOST reliable firearm for CCW. The chances are slim I will ever have to use my CCW again but the odds are even slimmer that I will need more than 3 rounds and as long as all the rounds fire when I want them to I'll be fine. I am an aircraft mech/machinist/pilot by trade and simple is reliable in my book.

Autos are superior if you constantly carry and train but don't write off the revolver just yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
if u shop around u can pick up a Walther for 5 bills.

Anything can be used for CCW, its about budget

my first carry gun was a choice between a P-11 or an EAA Witness 10mm
I picked the 10mm of course, $275 new and not a hiccup
most people here prolly think its a POS but it served a purpose.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The key words hear are "Damn near as".

The same can be said for any quality semi-auto handgun Sig Sauer, Glock, Springfield, Kimber and so on.

Revolvers don't ever have Feed Jams or Stove Pipes.   Revolvers are susceptible to Miss Fires, Hang Fires and Squibs but these are largely related to malfunctions are most largely related to ordnance quality/reliability as apposed to gun reliability.

With a revolver if its a missfire you don't have to clear the gun.  You just have to pull the trigger again.  If it's a hang fire or a squib in a life and death situation regardless of whether you have a semi-auto or a revolver in your hand you are fucked.

"Help me decide on a handgun for the wife.  Medium frame woman, needs for self-defense at home (in case I'm ever not at home). NOT for a CCW."

giacutter, you can listen to the reality of the situation or you can listen to what you want to hear.

(1) USED Sig Pro 40 in .40 cal for $440 (probably negotiable) (the Pro-Series are the least reliable offering in the Sig Sauer line)
(2) USED Sig .40 cal (226???) for about $500 (not likely negotiable) (good gun, reasonable price)
(3) NEW Springfield XD .40 cal for about $570 (not negotiable) (Way over priced)
(4) NEW Glock .40 cal (model 4473????) (not negotiable) ( No price listed read on.  There is no Glock Model 4473.  4473 is a form you fill out when purchasing a gun.  Glock .40 S&W Models are generally the compact 27, mid-sized 23 and full size 22.  NIB a fair price is $479 but they can be had for less in some areas.)

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#20]

I hear ya. I just have seen too many guys who don't shoot much themselves bellying up to the counter with their wife who knows even less (usually nothing) about firearms and asking the clerk for the Glock, Colt, Ruger etc. auto pistol for his wife to own with extra bullets and clips.

<Rant Mode>
Indeed, collectivelly their knowledge/understanding of firearms is comparable to the average persons understanding of a Nuclear Reactor.  So they consult with their local Joe Gun Ninja who tells them. "If your gunna buy a gun get a Glock or whatever."  Because that is "da-shit".

Then their mind is set.  They walk into the fucking store and the guy says, "We're looking for a home defense gun for her."  So you ask, how much experience does the lady have with firearms.  They generally say, "None." or "Very Little."

So you guide them over to the revolver counter and he patiently listens while she nodds her head a lot while her eyes roll into the back of her head.  Then he says, what about the Glock 22 or the H&K USP45 Compact or even better the guy asks how about this Phoenix Arms 22lr or the Hi-Point 9mm.

Sometimes, she doesn't want a revolver because he doesn't want a revolver and the whole fucking thing is a ruse so she can buy a gun because he can't pass a background check.  "Honey does this Para-Ordnance Double Stack feel good in your hand?"

"Why yes dear, (as she holds the gun as if it were a dead fish) I like it. I'll buy that one."

giacutter, get whatever the fuck you want.  In spite of or in recognition of any advice given here.  When the rubber hits the road that is what will happen anyway.

Perhaps the Glock 4473 would be the best all around choice for you and your wife.  Don't listen to anyone who may have offered intelligent advice based on their presonal experience.
</Rant Mode>
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The key words hear are "Damn near as".

The same can be said for any quality semi-auto handgun Sig Sauer, Glock, Springfield, Kimber and so on.

Revolvers don't ever have Feed Jams or Stove Pipes.   Revolvers are susceptible to Miss Fires, Hang Fires and Squibs but these are largely related to malfunctions are most largely related to ordnance quality/reliability as apposed to gun reliability.

With a revolver if its a missfire you don't have to clear the gun.  You just have to pull the trigger again.  If it's a hang fire or a squib in a life and death situation regardless of whether you have a semi-auto or a revolver in your hand you are fucked.

"Help me decide on a handgun for the wife.  Medium frame woman, needs for self-defense at home (in case I'm ever not at home). NOT for a CCW."

giacutter, you can listen to the reality of the situation or you can listen to what you want to hear.

(1) USED Sig Pro 40 in .40 cal for $440 (probably negotiable) (the Pro-Series are the least reliable offering in the Sig Sauer line)
(2) USED Sig .40 cal (226???) for about $500 (not likely negotiable) (good gun, reasonable price)
(3) NEW Springfield XD .40 cal for about $570 (not negotiable) (Way over priced)
(4) NEW Glock .40 cal (model 4473????) (not negotiable) ( No price listed read on.  There is no Glock Model 4473.  4473 is a form you fill out when purchasing a gun.  Glock .40 S&W Models are generally the compact 27, mid-sized 23 and full size 22.  NIB a fair price is $479 but they can be had for less in some areas.)

Thanks sysop, and to everyone, for the input.  Helpful threads like this alone are worth the price of the membership.

Follow up:  I may be able to get a friend to show the wife some of his handguns at the local range.  He has a 9mm, .45, .380 and a .22.  I'm not sure which models he has, but I know he likes Rugers and Colts.  We'll see what she likes.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top