Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:38:22 PM EDT
I was talking to the shop I purchased my Kimber stainless ultra carry II from. Told him about the constant problems. He tells me he will send it back to kimber. I told him I had interest in a glock 19 or the full size stainless kimber. He told me I could swap it out for the Kimber or glock (with cash back). I think I am opting for the glock at this point. The Kimber has been a PITA since day one. Not very accurate either.

Think I should get the glock and 200$ back? He tried to talk me into staying with my ultra carry because I already have grips and extra magazines for it. At this point I don't care about loosing 40$ I have extra in it.

I am having a wierd problem. This will happen with both my brand new kimber magazines and my colt magazine. Also will happen with my grandfathers 3 colt magazines (he has a colt defender). I will be shooting and the slide will hold back. Just like it is out of rounds. It sometimes happens on the 2, 3, 4 shot ect. Doesn't do it at any particular time. Normally it will do it a couple times every 100 rounds. But I have had it happen 3 times in one 7 round magazine.

I do not trust this gun to carry...at all. It isn't even that accurate. Its heavier than a glock 19 and holds half the ammuntion.

Think I should send the Kimber back or just get a glock and the cash. I could use the cash. As of right now I am leaning away from Kimber and away from 1911's all together.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Im selling my G21 because after I bought a 1911 I didnt like my Glock anymore.  Dont know, its up to you.  Sounds like you got a lemon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Try new magazines.  Get a couple of Wilson #47D mags to see if the problem continues.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
6 magazines all yield the same exact problem. But none of the magazines malfunction in my grandfathers Colt defender.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
6 magazines all yield the same exact problem. But none of the magazines malfunction in my grandfathers Colt defender.

Understood.  FWIW, my TLE was a bit "temperamental" with the Kimber OE mags and Colt mags.  It runs 100% with Wilsons.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem with my Stainless Pro Carry II. Wound up replacing the factory slide stop with a properly fitted Wilson Combat version. Now it locks back when it should.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Go Glock if it's important for it to go "bang" every time.
And I said, "bang" not "kaboom!" you haters!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of problems was yours having?

I don't understand it. Why would it lock back like this. It doesn't even sound like a magazine problem.

Gun at the shop (supposedly owns 9 1911's) showed me something interesting. With all of my magazines besides the colt the slide stop (lever that holds it open) just barely engages the slide. I took apart my kimber mags and cleaned them. Now my black kimber mag will move the slide stop lever completely up. However I shot 2 mags worth and it held back once. I am holding it very tight...definetly not limp wristing.

I'd like to carry this thing..its the perfect size. But I don't trust it to go bang everytime.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
II don't care about loosing 40$ I have extra in it.

<SIGH!>

What? I think my life would be worth more than a set of hogue grips and an extra magazine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd bet you are using a hi thumb grip and hitting the slide release causing the slide to lock back.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I already check that. There is no way I am hitting the lever. Hell I was shooting today with my thumb way way back nowhere near the lever. Still does it. It also does it when I shoot left handed. So my thumb wouldn't even be close to the lever.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#13]
How is the operator? This happens to me, my grandfather, my father, my friend, my brother. If you pick up this gun and shoot 2 mags through it I guaruntee it would do it.

I shot 100 round through a colt defender and it was flawless. Only time I have seen the colt malfunction was whenever my grandfathers wife shot it and when we shot winclean through it. Been perfect besides that.

Sorry if I am being an asshole but I can imagine you guys can understand why. I really had trouble coming up with money for a pistol. Spend 795$ on a Kimber because they are supposed to be God's gift to pistol owners. To find its a lemon. My 1988 model taurus pt99 has only had one malfunction in 16 years. It stovepiped because my friend was shooting it sideways for some reason. Its a 350$ 16 year old gun and it is far more reliable than my 800$ kimber.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Kimbers are jam-o-matics.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I already check that. There is no way I am hitting the lever. Hell I was shooting today with my thumb way way back nowhere near the lever. Still does it. It also does it when I shoot left handed. So my thumb wouldn't even be close to the lever.

Is it an extended one? Or is the the GI type? I am not a fan of the extended one's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Get something you trust.

I trust my Kimbers.    I only use Wilson 47D's.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I do not believe its extended. It is pretty small. It is pretty hard for me to get my thumb on it to push it down. I usually just rack the slide. I rarely use the lever.

How much are the wilson magazines?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#18]
If it was me, I would get it fixed.  

The only gun that I would trust over my Kimber would have to be a revolver.

Sorry your having problems, good luck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I do not believe its extended. It is pretty small. It is pretty hard for me to get my thumb on it to push it down. I usually just rack the slide. I rarely use the lever.

How much are the wilson magazines?

$20 to $25 TOPS!   Don't pay more.

I don't have any as small as the ultra carry.   My smallest is a Pro CDP II (full sized grip, 4" barrel) and it runs like a champ
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
What works for joe, may not work for bob.

Try the Glock, get the cashback and you'll be happier.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Shit how did you know my name was Joe. J/K anyways.

I am sure the full size kimbers are more reliable. I have heard about any short 1911 is unreliable. I had planned on buying a glock the day I purchased the Kimber. Somehow got a bite from the .45 fairy and have been unhappy since.

I could just be looking for something to be mad at. I've had a shitty week.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like an out of spec slide stop....  Possibly 'bad' mags, but I'd wager a tank of gas on a bad slide stop...  Very inexpensive part to swap that would DEFINITELY be covered by Kimber's warranty.....    If you feel the need to trade... Trade it on the full size stainless model..

If possible, please measure and post dimensions of your slide stop, specifically the 'ear' that protrudes into the magwell.

I own 3 Kimbers (after owning 2 colts and a Springfield) and find them to be the best bang for the buck by far...   In fact, with the exception of my 870 and Remington-Rand 1911, they will be the LAST firearms I'd part with if I ever had to sell off the arsenal.

ETA- You could always just send it back to Kimber for warranty service.. They will make it right.

ETA^2 - As much as I liked my G30, I'd steer friends away from any Glock 45..  That cartridge was never intended to be fired from less than a 5" barrel. If your confidence in 1911's has been shot to hell and back, I'd get a G19 before considering a 21/30/36.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock will serve you well - a 17 was my very 1st handgun.

But....... I love the 1911.   I've got (5) Kimbers now and they all work great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd replace it [the slide release] or send the pistol to Kimber and give them a chance to fix it. I have never had a problem with premature lock on a 1911, I think just replacing it might fix it. It's out of spec I'd bet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Buddy of mine has some electronic micrometers. I could check the slide stop. It fits inside the hole smoothly. Not tight...maybe alittle loose if anything.

I still may just get a glock...only because I have been kicking myself in the ass for not getting it to begin with. The Kimber wasn't what I was hoping. I am personally a better shot with a glock 19 than I am with my Kimber. Thats just me personally. I shot 200 rounds through a glock 19 and 600 throught my kimber. Still a better shot with the 19 with less experience and a shitty trigger. (compared to the kimber).

The kimber trigger pull is very very nice. The fullsize looks like a kickass gun. Would be a great home defense/duty size pistol. But it would be a huge gun to carry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I am talking about the little square part that hits the mag follower, and will only go thru the hole if the slide is lined up properly. Problem with the smaller 1911s is everything[problem] becomes exagerated the second they get past commander length.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

full sized Kimber...........But it would be a huge gun to carry.

I carry that Pro CDP II every single day.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#28]
How big are you? I am only 5' 8 1/2'' and 162lbs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#29]
The potential problem with the slide catch isn't its fit to the hole in the frame, rather the length of the 'ear' that protrudes into the magwell being too long...  Since they buy the 'small parts' from McCormick, there is the possibility of getting some blems...  You'd be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to part with it without some diagnostics..

The biggest mistake I ever made was parting with a stainless pro-carry at a loss, only to realize shortly thereafter the issue was a weak recoil spring and extractor that was fixed by some hand-tweaking.

Buying a 1911 is like buying an 85 year-old lady's garage kept classic car... Nearly all of them need one or two MINOR tweaks or TLC and suddenly run like champs.... Neglect to inspect and make the minor and inexpensive tweaks and you'll think you have a lemon...  Make the tweaks, and you'll be in 1911 BLISS.

ETA - For those that claim a full-size is HUGE to carry, I'm 5'11" and have carried a 5" 1911 daily for the past 10 years... Dated my wife for 4 months before even she noticed it. Thin pistols CAN be easier to conceal than short brick-style FAT-SLIDED pistols (GLOCK)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#30]
My 2cents,,,if you like the glock go for it.
i hava a kimber custom eclipse II, love it,
it doesnt like anything but, wilson mags, wont go into full battery with anything but.
so i tried 1 and ended up buying 10 more and selling off all the other brands i had on ebay.
wilson has perfected the mag, runs snag free thru my Colt gold cup and Detonics.
i agree it is the slide stop, you say it is a bit lose in fit?
that could well be the problem,it is popping up from recoil. try an exchage on that for 20 bucks or take another as a loaner from someone and if  that isnt it, trade for the glock or the full size
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Get the Glock.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't throw the whole gun out because of a bad slide stop. Send it back. If it happens that often, they will find the prob. and fix it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a Kimber TLE RLII full size with the rail and I carry it concealed (IWB) in a Milt Sparks Watch 6 holster.  It conceals quite well and I don't find it very uncomfortable.  It is one sweet shooting pistol;  accurate, well made, and nice looking.  I did have to get different mags though, I got a lot of FTF, Chip McCormick (SP?) power mags took care of the problem..  I had a Glock and never had any problems with it but IMO the Kimber is better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I may just have it sent back. I can't decide.

I also want a glock for my carry/outdoors pistol if that makes since. I do a lot of hiking. Plan on doing a 72 mile 4 day hike through some mountain areas soon. Would like a pistol I can take along. I'd be afraid to ding up the Kimber. A glock I can treat like my AR15 without worry. Scratches add character.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Get a Sig
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I have the same gun....................but mine is the black Ultra Carry II. I was having the same trouble with mine, I changed out the slide release and my ejector. the problem is keeping that thing in your hand and with its short stroke(recoil) it is a bugger for jamming and smoke-stacking. changing out the parts help it so much that the problem is not there anymore. push with your primary hand and pull with your supporting hand, really helps steady the gun and cures most of the problems without purchasing parts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#37]
it is my understanding that all compact 1911's aren't that reliable not just Kimber's.  My full size CDPII is one of my favorite pistols.  I have never had a problem with it.  

Have you even shot 4-500 rounds throught the pistol yet??

If you have and your still having problems then i would definatly send it back,  or trade it in for the full size Kimber over the Glock!  If the man will let you do that
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I would definately send it back to Kimber. Once they get it working and if you still don't want it trade it in. It should work fine with most mags, once thats established, get a few 47Ds or some Powermags for carry.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#39]
1911's are not as reliable as other handguns and never will be. That is a simple fact.
Many a pistolsmith has made a living and retired because of
the 1911. Why are the so many companies making "bullet proof" after markets
parts for the 1911? What is so wrong in the first place?
Any one who says "Not even a hick-up" about their 1911
has to come to grips with reality.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Go Glock if it's important for it to go "bang" every time.

And I said, "bang" not "kaboom!" you haters!  

Sig makes a better pistol than Kimber OR Glock.  Reliable out of the box (as opposed to the Kimber) and ergonomic (as opposed to the Glock).
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#41]
For some reason I really just don't like sigs. I hate the way they feel. Which may seem strange since I like glocks.

I am probably going to trade the Kimber for something else. I will have to check it out and see. I'd get a full size 1911 if I didn't want to carry this gun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I may just have it sent back. I can't decide.

I also want a glock for my carry/outdoors pistol if that makes since. I do a lot of hiking. Plan on doing a 72 mile 4 day hike through some mountain areas soon. Would like a pistol I can take along. I'd be afraid to ding up the Kimber. A glock I can treat like my AR15 without worry. Scratches add character.

Treat the Kimber like an AR - any marks add character, just like you said.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

can you get rid of him, make it look like a geriatric accident, and then take his gun?  that would be my plan.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

can you get rid of him, make it look like a geriatric accident, and then take his gun?  that would be my plan.

They don't make 'em like they used to.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't make 'em like they used to.....

No, people still have sex to make other people........... still make'em like they used to.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
1911's are not as reliable as other handguns and never will be. That is a simple fact.

You're quite the "expert" eh? I have plenty that chug right along eating whatever I throw at them, [cept some way out of spec PMC]  Mine just must be "magical". But Glocks are PERFECT, right?
If you knew ANYTHING about 1911s, you would know that some of the problems started happening when the specs were tightened up to gain more accuracy. They did, but at the expense of reliability. A true spec 1911 built with quality parts will run and run and run. Accuracy is NOT because of the tightness of the slide to frame fit like so many companys must think, it is the fit of the BBL and it's lockup. I have 60 year old 1911s that still run fine because they were built correctly and with the proper parts. The 1911 is not and never will be as easy to build as the newer gun designs. Part of the new designs were so they could be built cheap, fast and with unskilled labor. The 1911 suffers when it is built with those methods.

And please, dont tell me Glocks, Sigs or ANY other gun always runs flawlessly, because I know better, EVERY gun type out there can, will, and does choke on occasion be it due to dirt, poor maintainance, bad or out of spec ammo, broken parts or improper grip. Thats just the way it is. Some even KABOOM. on occasion, are barred from using lead bullets, and other hokey stuff. But most of the time they do work and work well. Just like a properly built 1911.

While it is true that many companies make a living selling 1911 parts, thats just because of the incredible interest still generated by the old warhorse. And yes indeed, some parts are crappily made, that is not the fault of the gun design, it is a fault of the manufacturer and the almighty dollar. Stamped sheet metal is a hell of a lot cheaper to punch out then a 3D part is to make, that is just common sense. But in 94 years I want to see if a company is still making parts for some of the "wonderguns" of today, and I will want to see a G17 still being produced.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Get the Glock and sell the extra Kimber stuff on the EE or trade it for glock stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#48]
If is a II series kimber dump it
if it is a older non II I would try some wilson mags they work wonders

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

A Kimber is less reliable than a Lorcin.  Who woulda thunk?

I suppose that's why people are still buying 1911s after they have been on the market for 94 years - less reliability.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

full sized Kimber...........But it would be a huge gun to carry.

I carry that Pro CDP II every single day.

Ditto, (Internal extractor)...........

Sickmac, why not just send it back to kimber??

They may wind up replacing the pistol??

My Kimber, is VERY accurate, and will eat anything I've fed it.      
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top