Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 7:31:35 AM EDT
Is that a good idea?

I mean, this family has a 10-year old kid that needs looking after 3 nights a week, so they will take her in and let her live there rent-free if she looks after the kid. They are pretty well off, so the house is real nice, she said.

What do you think? A good arrangement?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
not really
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you sleep over?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can you sleep over?

You're a comedian aren't you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Only if they were so well off they had a seperate guest house.

Hell, I probably still wouldn't want to do it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#6]
how old is she, what are her plans for life, what are the plans for you two, there are alot of facts that are needed to give you an answer
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
how old is she, what are her plans for life, what are the plans for you two, there are alot of facts that are needed to give you an answer

She is 19, and a college student. We're just dating, not talking about marriage yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you, I really appreciate you sharing her with us....

My wife is very excited.

Thanks again.
lol

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to date a german girl in college that was an au-paire (sp?).  She and her friends were basically never happy with their families.  They liked the kids and all, but the parents were moderately weathly and tended to treat people like their servants/slaves.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
cant find the "worthless without pics "deal!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I remember what happened the last time I posted pics of my girlfriend. I don't know if I want to do that again.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Jude Law mean anything to you?

Did you know Robin Williams divorced his wife and married his nanny?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I hear ya .......................I just couldnt resist saying it
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Jude Law? No.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmmmm, a 19 yr old nanny is many 10 yr old boys dreams.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember what happened the last time I posted pics of my girlfriend. I don't know if I want to do that again.

Link?...............

Seriously.....It doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me.  She's going to college so most of her attention is probably in that direction.  She'd have a place to live, rent free, plus make a little cash along the way.  She wouldn't have many living expenses while she's doing it either.  It's not like she's looking to make a career out of nannying.

She should probably get it up front that she is a nanny, and not a maid, doesn't wash cars, or windows etc, etc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#18]
It's already been posted so what the hell.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Didn't your girlfriend learn anything from Kim Bauer?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Didn't your girlfriend learn anything from Kin Bauer?
www.netzeitung.de/img/0064/132164.jpg

who?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#21]
If the income was right I'D be a live in Nanny!

Too many variables to offer a sound opinion.  In any case, good luck.  If the money's right and it's a temporary thing (0-2 years) then sure.... depends on your relationship and working conditions....if you have a place where you two could be alone, it should be fine, I would think.

ETA: Pretty girlfriend you have there, Hokie approves.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Didn't your girlfriend learn anything from Kin Bauer?

who?

Your 24FU is week young grasshopper, you have much to learn.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It's already been posted so what the hell.

img385.imageshack.us/img385/6900/blackgown1mz5uj.jpg

img385.imageshack.us/img385/5825/katie6eg4xc.jpg

Shieeet, i'de let her be my nanny :)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a very bad taste in my mouth about live in Nannies, but will keep quite for now.   Her boss was ok, but did try to swindle her out a few grand...

It might be ok, but could be a crock.  I have male friends who babysit aptment buildings (loe's, who get free rent), and ranches (ranch managers).  They like the gig, but theres do not involve 10 year old brats much either.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you think posting a thread about her wanting to be a nanny won't get dirty comments about all the things we would do if she was our nanny?  

Seriously though:
My wife was a nanny for a few years. She went through an agency (which was a joke), but after one day the mom hired her on the side. She wasn't live in, but after a while we started watching the house when she was gone, sometimes watching the kids for a few days when she was gone on business. She was a business woman who was divorced and had two kids. She was working alot, and my wife ended up taking care of everything, laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning house, pick kids up from school, fix dinner (she became almost a surrogate mom to these kids). She had a big house w/ a pool we could use anytime they were gone, she gave my wife Christmas presents and a bonus, payed her cash/check. It had it's benefits. I think it was ok with me because there wasn't a dad around, and I didn't have to worry about some guy trying to pull something with my wife. Mom had to get used to us also, because it's weird having to leave your kids with someone you don't know (at first). We all became friends (almost like family). After my wife decided to leave the mom realized she wasn't spending enough time with the kids and that my wife was taking care of her whole house, she got a part time nanny, stayed home more, met a nice guy with 2 boys, and got married (we even went to the wedding). I think it worked because of the situation there was. She used to watch kids for another lady (friends of her families church) and it ended up being a nightmare.
Your girlfriend being as cute as she is, call me paranoid, but I'd be worried about the dad checking her out all the time (which I would if she were my kid's nanny, no offense). Plus it might become a weird living situation with her living there but only taking care of the kid 3 nights a week. Is she going to start being expected to do more, are they going to dangle the job over her head? What kind of living arrangments are there? If they have a seperate apartment/living quarters away from the house (or at a wing of the house if it's big enough) where she wouldn't have to walk through the house or have to check-in with/pass by the family on the way out that might be ok. I think if it's just them letting her stay in a room in their house to take care of their kid 3 nights a week, they might have "good intentions" of trying to help her out or get someone to watch their kid "on the cheap", but that would be a little weird. I'd be nervous.

My .02 cents. More where that came from.

By the way, what is her living situation now/reason she would consider this gig? Dorm/apartment too expensive, not at the point in your relationship you guys could/would share an apartment? Just wondering for insight, none of my business really if you don't want to share.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I am in need of a live in nanny.  Please have your g/f ex-g/f PM me.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#27]
My cousins did it. One had a great ime she went to Europe and traveled all over. The other cousin was treated like crap. It really depends on the family you're doing it for.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Does she get to wear one of these?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#29]
So, what happened?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#30]
damn I read the post wrong.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
How old is daddy???  I don't like the sound of it, I've heard too many stories where daddy puts the wood to the nanny/au pere' when mommy isn't around.  A guy I worked with and his wife decided to get an au pere' for their little one...  It wasn't too long before he got caught messing around with the little helper.  It didn't turn out good.  Say you've got a cute little nanny running around the house, at the very least you'll probably flirt with her some even if your happily married...  but lets say the marriage has it's flaws, things could get interesting.   You never know though, it could work out fine!!   Good luck however it turns out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

LMFAO!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I was a nanny for 9 months.  I will never, ever do that again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
How old is daddy???  I don't like the sound of it, I've heard too many stories where daddy puts the wood to the nanny/au pere' when mommy isn't around.  A guy I worked with and his wife decided to get an au pere' for their little one...  It wasn't too long before he got caught messing around with the little helper.  It didn't turn out good.  Say you've got a cute little nanny running around the house, at the very least you'll probably flirt with her some even if your happily married...  but lets say the marriage has it's flaws, things could get interesting.   You never know though, it could work out fine!!   Good luck however it turns out.

+1000
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top