Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 6:38:06 AM EDT
have a co-worker that is having troubles- her clutch was going all the way to the floor (working fine) but sometimes would stay down.  replaced the master/slave cyl. and clutch itself.  still does it  

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
anybody?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of guesses:

1) Air in the hydraulic system. Bleed the lines.
2) Kinked clutch cable. Inspect and repair/replace as required.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#3]
clutch cable?

where is this if its hydraulic?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#4]
There is an adjustment for that. I am not sure for what cars, but try pulling the clutch pedal up away from the floor then let it drop and pull it back up again a few times. If I recall correctly. If not, you may have to pull it up and then press it to the floor and then back up each time to help set it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
It's probably the slave cylinder.  When you replace a master cyclinder you should also replace the slave (funny car part terms)  Then bleed the lines for air with new fluid.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
try bleeding it.

most likely it is caused by air in the system, or there is a kinked hydrolic line allowing air to seep in.

some cars have a clutch engagement adjustment rod in the back of the pedal. if you can get yourself positioned to look up at the pedal you should see a set nut that keeps the rod from turning, if you loosen the nut you can turn the rod either clockwise or counterclockwise. try adjusting it a bit in either direction and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Whoops, read your post too fast.  Didn't see he did the slave too.  I'd guess air in the lines.  Make sure when you're bleeding the lines to keep adding fluid so it won't suck in more air in the resivior.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#8]
That's odd because so many people have told me that Toyotas are so reliable that they'll run for 750,000 miles with no maintenance of any kind, in fact you almost don't even have to put gas in it in and they still run.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]
first thing i thought was air - but what returs the pedal to up position ?  is it the returning hydraulic fluid to the master cyl, or is there a mechanical return, like a spring.

could a bad throwout bearing do this or not?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
It is the spines on the clutch plate that push the throwout bearing away from the motor, forcing fluid back into the cylinder, pushing back on the pedal, but the pedal itself should just be hanging there attached at the rod. I still think pulling up on it, way up on it will do some sort of self adjustment.

I read something on toyta trucks that apparently the throw out bearing/fork might have a spring to pull it back. Also that when changing out the master and slave cylinders you may have to ajust the push rod to get free play adjusted properly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top