Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:55:53 PM EDT
I've owned guns for 8 years without any problems, but I "think" I may have very irresponsibly lost my Kel-Tec P32.

I have a gun cabinet I keep all my handguns/rifles/shotguns in locked away. Only I have the key.  Guns stay at my parents house which I just moved back to temporarily cause I'm looking to buy a new house.  They are about to move out of here but are keeping this house for me to stay at until I buy.

Anyway, long story short, I haven't seen the P32 in 3 months, and I thought for sure it was in my cabinet.  Well I opened it up the other day, looked everywhere, it ain't in there.

Last time I remember seeing it I went on a vacation road trip and pretty sure I put it in my bag.

Either:
A) Someone took it out of my bag at the hotel room.
B) I misplaced it around the house when removing it from my bag. (Very irresponsible and unlike me, but possible).

My best guess is B), because I usually do a thorough check when leaving a hotel.

So should I call and report it stolen, or am I just screwed and liable forever?  D*mn I'm so p*ssed at myself!  Anyone else ever do this?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You best make sure you have the serial number... spend a week doing a thorough search and then report it stolen.

Oddly enough, this situation is part of my aversion to "small" guns.  Good luck...

- BG
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
think of the last place you had it. report it stolen on that day.

If you do end up finding it...well, I cant say what the course of action would be.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
A similar thing happened to me. I had an NAA mini-revolver sitting on a shelf in my bedroom. One day I noticed it was gone, so I figured that my wife (now ex-wife) had shot it and put it away or something. A few days later I asked her about it and she thought I had put it away.

It turned out that my 18-year-old brother-in-law was breaking into our house while we were at work and helping himself to my wife's cigarettes and our cookie jar money and watching TV while he was playing hookie from school. He had bugged my wife's cousin to buy a handgun for him and been turned down repeatedly. About the same time my revolver came up missing, he had stopped bugging his cousin about buying him a handgun.

I reported it stolen, but she didn't want me to turn him in because it wouldn't do any good. Her parents would have bailed him out and gotten mad at us. They had a history of covering his sorry butt for him. He denied everything, of course. All I could do was swear an affidavit that it was stolen so I wouldn't be implicated in anything.

One example of his spotty past was when he stole a bunch of bicycles from another neighborhood. One of his friends would drop him off and he would grab a bike out of a garage and take it home or he would put it in the back of his truck. A few days later, his father noticed about a half dozen bikes in his shop(my ex-bro-in-law was a criminal mastermind...he thought that his dad wouldn't notice 6 or 8 bikes under a tarp in his own shop) He and his dad loaded them up and got rid of them somewhere and a Deputy came by asking about the bikes after his friend got caught and squealed. They all denied everything and the bikes were gone so there was no evidence. Great people...luckily I'm no longer a part of that psycho family..
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
think of the last place you had it. report it stolen on that day.

If you do end up finding it...well, I cant say what the course of action would be.

Keep the Police report number and call them and let them know that you found it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone here had their mother or mother-in-law, don't remember which, lose a revolver. Years later, he found it under the passenger seat of his SUV, where he had looked for various other things numerous times and found nothing of the sort.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I was about to go to work one night and noticed I didnt see one of my guns around, the safe was full so had a few under bed and around. I tore my house apart looking for it and running short of time before work, I called the PD to report it stolen.(was a few unexplained events leading up to me checking for all guns). The next day I tore apart the house again and low and behold my gun was in my safe. (i must say I had a bad breaker and electric was out to my closet the safe was in and it was tucked in the the corner so I didnt see it on the first 5 searches.)  I called the detective up and explained that I found it and sorry for his trouble.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I lost a handgun once .

Like you . I though it was in the safe ,
and didn't remember when I last saw it .

I was pretty sure it wasn't stolen since
nothing else was missing and I never
carried it , but after tearing the house
apart I couldn't find it ...

I was dreading having to report it as missing
since everything is listed on your permit
here in NY , you really have no choice if it's
gone . So I got the forms and filled them out ,
but before I turned them in I did one more
fine tooth comb search of my home .

I found it in pieces in my spare gun parts box .
When I saw the slide , the memory came back
to how it got there . I had taken it apart to
steal the recoil spring for another gun I wanted
to take to the range and left it apart so I would
remember to get a spring kit for it .

So much for that idea

Any chance of something like that happening
with you ?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Speaking as the PO-lice....report it now.  You have no idea who may have possesion of it and what their intnetions are.

Speaking as a fellow gun-owner who misplaced an Officer's Model for a couple of years....man, that sucks.  

Sheep

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Go ahead and report it missing, I take calls like this every month...

Not a big deal, but If you do find it, YOU NEED TO CALL BACK AND LET SOMEONE KNOW!

It is going into a data base that is nation wide.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone lose a .25 Auto in PA?

Handgun Found Along Road

This is strange because this is a SMALL rural town.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder about some of you guys sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Meh.

Idiot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Meh.

Idiot.

Meh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top