Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 7:58:35 AM EDT
Pest Control Workers To Help Fight Crime

http://www.local6.com/news/4831973/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- One of Central Florida's largest pest control companies has been recruited by police to help fight crime, according to Local 6 News.

"Our point is not to invade people's houses or make them feel like their privacy is being invaded. It's just to try to have an extra set of eyes and ears out there," Truley Nolen worker Ronnie Rachels said.

Technicians from Truly Nolen Pest Control of America are being trained by local law enforcement to spot anything unusual as they visit customer's homes.

"Our vehicles really get into the bowels of the neighborhood and we're back there where all the homes are, in the cul-de-sacs," Truly Nolen spokesman Barry Murray said. "And part of being a good neighbor is looking out for one another."

The pest control workers will call police if they see something unusual during their stops, according to the report.

"The pest control technicians who are coming to your home to investigate termites don't have any law enforcement capabilities, but if they see some two-legged creatures trying to make their way into your home, they'll call the police." Local 6 News reporter Deborah Garcia said.

"Our point is not to invade people's houses or make them feel like their privacy is being invaded. It's just to try to have an extra set of eyes and ears out there," Truley Nolen worker Ronnie Rachels said.

"Our vehicles really get into the bowels of the neighborhood and we're back there where all the homes are, in the cul-de-sacs," Truly Nolen spokesman Barry Murray said. "And part of being a good neighbor is looking out for one another."

The company unveiled the program Wednesday.

The Orlando Police Department and Orange County Sheriff's Office told Local 6 News that they need all the help they can get.

"Because they're not a police car, a lot of criminals, bad guys aren't going to be suspicious." Orange County sheriff's Captain Steve Jones said. "Time is of the essence. If you have somebody that is getting ready to do something, the sooner we know they're there the sooner we can be on our way to get to them."

"Truly Nolen wants criminals to know and be warned that if you see the company's yellow VW bugs, you are being watched," Local 6 News reporter Samantha Knapp said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if this is a dupe.

Just great.  So what is to be considered "unusual"?  Would a shotgun in the closet be considered unusual by some?  Tannerite on the shelf in the garage or in the basement?  Are these guys simply going to fill out a check-sheet and turn it in to the police after each time they come to service a house?

I don't like the implications of hiring someone to kill bugs only to be spied on for the .gov.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything they find is SO getting tossed out of court. I can just see the appeals now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Id love for some pest control worker to report something going on in my house.  There would be more than just bugs dead in my house!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
How can anything that a person invited into your home sees and reports to the police be thrown out?  I do think it is a shameful way around the 4th admendment but still if you invite them into your home and they witness something they can tell the police all they want and based on such testimonity get a search warant!  If I am wrong tell me why!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]
A quick 10 second search for the word truly shows this http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=379969
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top