Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:58:24 PM EDT
I HATE these suckers... trying to figure out what is triggering them... Sometimes its bright lights, or smells or heat... I dont know. Once minute I feel fine then my vision becomes impaired and call it a day... pop some Tylenol and hide under the covers for a few hours.

Now I am better but I have a dull headache for the next two days.

I used to get them like 14 years ago... been OK for about 10 years then once every 2-4 months I get one.

Anyone else had this problem and what did you do to get rid of them?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I get a nasty migrane about once a month. I take a couple Excedrin Migrane, and sleep. I wake up with no headache.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
coke and asprin.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I get a nasty migrane about once a month. I take a couple Excedrin Migrane, and sleep. I wake up with no headache.

Excedrine Migraine huh??? Im gonna get some of those for the next episode.

One time I had to cancel a call with one of my customers,,, when I showed up to her home a few days later she was laughing at me... she said "You get Migraines?? Only girls get those!"

I said "Well last I checked I am no girl and YES I get them"

Bitch
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Mrs gorilla gets them about once a month or every other month. Occasionally she gets one so bad that she is physically unable to get out of bed and I have to care for her as an invalid, but those are pretty rare.

Try Imitrex. If that doesn't work, we have a scrip for Maxalt. It's a tablet that dissolves in your mouth in case you are unable to swallow. It takes away the migraine, but you won't be doing anything for the rest fo the day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
coke and asprin.  Patty

You know you are like the third person to tell me Coke.... why is that? is it the Caffeine and how does that help? It has to be the caffeine. I NEED to know these secrets
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to get them every other day when I was a child. I even had to stay in a child home to be observed for about 6 months. Turned out to be stress from my Mother and they almost kept me.

Now I only get them when stressed out or after a hard night of drinking. Excedrin Migraine works wonders. Usually kills them in 20 minutes or sooner. Try it.

Tylenol doesn't do shit and neither does aspirin for a migraine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Its the caffine DrFrige.  Same as the excedrine migraine.  All it is is asprin and caffine.  I suppose a no doze and asprin would work too.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well.  You might look at your diet and try cutting out nitrates and MSG.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I was getting bad Migraines for a while which included nausea and vomiting. I started taking vitamin B2 on a regular basis and I haven't had one since.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mrs gorilla gets them about once a month or every other month. Occasionally she gets one so bad that she is physically unable to get out of bed and I have to care for her as an invalid, but those are pretty rare.

Try Imitrex. If that doesn't work, we have a scrip for Maxalt. It's a tablet that dissolves in your mouth in case you are unable to swallow. It takes away the migraine, but you won't be doing anything for the rest fo the day.

Im usually done for the rest of the day... I feel weak as I type now. My wife just hands an "Out Of Order" sign on me when I come home early.

OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT!!! This morning just as I was waking up I had a dream of getting those auras in my vision... 8 hours later... I got them... hmmm either a subliminal trigger or a sign?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Excedrin migrane is great. If you dont have it, take some asprin, acetometophin, and caffine. Same thing as I recall.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excedrine Migraine huh??? Im gonna get some of those for the next episode.

One time I had to cancel a call with one of my customers,,, when I showed up to her home a few days later she was laughing at me... she said "You get Migraines?? Only girls get those!"

I said "Well last I checked I am no girl and YES I get them"

Bitch

Yup they are supposedly much more common among women due to hormones or something....

BTW Exedrin Migraine is the exact same stuff as regular Exedrin with different labeling.. I buy the Wal-mart Equate brand equivalent because it is much cheaper.

Let's see here...it contains:
Acetaminophen 250 mg
Aspirin 250 mg
Caffeine 65 mg

per tablet
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've only had a few in my life, but they were pretty severe. I also reccommend Excedrin Migraine. If you can take a couple and go lay down in a dark room once you start getting the spotty vision, you can stop them before they start most times. I think the coke might come into play if you drink it on a daily basis and maybe don't get it that day. In my experience it seems to be kind of a withdrawal from caffiene that triggers it. Anyway, best of luck on not getting another.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Nitrates... I have eaten the same thing before but I think the conditions have to be just right for the nitrates to affect me... as far as the Vitamin B2... I am willing to try anything.... ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
A doctor once told me that intelligent people generally get them. If that mes you feel any better...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Never had a migraine myself, but have had plenty of patients with them.  See your family doctor and get an Rx for one of the 'triptan' type medicines.  They do work.  Good luck,

Jake
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nitrates... I have eaten the same thing before but I think the conditions have to be just right for the nitrates to affect me... as far as the Vitamin B2... I am willing to try anything.... ANYTHING.

My doctor told me to take the B2. I also haven't had a headache at all since i started taking it now that i think about it.
I take about 600mg spread out through the day with meals
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's a good site, Frige:

www.migraines.org/myth/mythreal.htm
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a prescription for mine.

Or what they think are migranes.

Two weeks ago I started getting them. I got symptoms slowly, which is odd. Blurred vision in places in my left eye, slight headache, then dizzyness, then naseua, then 10 days in I got the worst headache I've ever had. Honestly, if I could've gotten out of bed and crawled to the closet to retrieve my Beretta that would've been it.

At first docs thought it was just my eye, since there was no headache. But all my eye tests came up totally clean. Then they ran a CT scan and a MRI, and those came up clean too (no defects, no tumors, etc.) Went to see a neurologist and he said "You've got migranes". He also declared that what my mother had called "sinus headaches" we're also migranes, and she'd feel better if she took the appropriate medication when they came on (migrane stuff, rather than sinus stuff).

We're on week three. The blurred vision is still there. I occasionally have to take the prescription and I have to see a neuro-opthomologist this week in Richmond.  They don't know why they aren't going away. The headache isn't all the time, but when I start to feel anything on my left side headache like, down goes a pill. I don't ever want to feel that again.

They're not sure why they haven't gone away. It's thought it might just be a combination of small things, coupled with the stress of starting grad school (which my school is experiencing a major clusterfuck with). Lot of stress. I'm told to take some vitamin supplements, exercise, and try to keep the stress down.

I used to wonder what the big deal with migranes was. Just a headache, right? Yeah fucking right.

ETA: The supplements my neurologist put me on are B2 and Magnesium, I think. I still have to get them. Things have been hell with the move, starting school, etc. They gave me stuff for the occasional naseua I had. It's a suppository. Oddly enough, I stopped feeling sick without ever taking it. Neat that.

He also said that it can take 12 hours from trigger to headache. So it's very difficult to figure out what your trigger/triggers are.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
you may have to go to a GNC type place for the B2. Sometimes they don't keep it on the shelf due to theft. Supposedly popular with kids and they shoplift the stuff
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Vitamins are the answer!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Vitamins are the answer!!!

Vitamin D

Sorry...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Whatever you fucking do, NEVER involve your FAA medical with migraines.  They will require a special waiver and an exam every three months FOREVER.  Yes, my 3rd class medical is only good for 3 months at a time.

Their requirement?  I have to see my doc, and tell him "nope, haven't had any headaches", and the doctor writes a letter saying "Pete says nope, he hasn't had any headaches", and I go my merry way.  One month later I get my new medical in the mail.

By the way pushing on the bridge of your nose, right between the eyes helps.  I used to take an Imitrex injection for the nasty ones.  The side effect I'd get?  A FUCKING HEADACHE.  At least it wasn't as bad as the migraine, but I'd be out of commission for several hours.  It's amazing how fast that injection enters your system and throws you into a cold sweat.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
If you drill several vent holes into your head the migraine will fall out. I know I am a doctor.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever you fucking do, NEVER involve your FAA medical with migraines.  They will require a special waiver and an exam every three months FOREVER.  Yes, my 3rd class medical is only good for 3 months at a time.

Their requirement?  I have to see my doc, and tell him "nope, haven't had any headaches", and the doctor writes a letter saying "Pete says nope, he hasn't had any headaches", and I go my merry way.

By the way pushing on the bridge of your nose, right between the eyes helps.  I used to take an Imitrex injection for the nasty ones.  The side effect I'd get?  A FUCKING HEADACHE.  At least it wasn't as bad as the migraine, but I'd be out of commission for several hours.  It's amazing how fast that injection enters your system and throws you into a cold sweat.

Well, mine are NEVER that bad. And they are so random I cant predict or plan for them. The only thing I need to fly is corrective lenses
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well, mine are NEVER that bad. And they are so random I cant predict or plan for them. The only thing I need to fly is corrective lenses

I made the mistake 5 years ago of answering yes to the headache question when getting my first medical.  I know - dumbass move.

I'm up for renewal and I'm shooting for a 2nd class this time.  We'll see how that pans out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you drill several vent holes into your head the migraine will fall out. I know I am a doctor.

Any particular bit and what size?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#27]
One of the best, least biased sites out there: www.headaches.org/

Has a welath of information from good people, updated regularly, and will send you lots of free info.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
coke and asprin.  Patty

You know you are like the third person to tell me Coke.... why is that? is it the Caffeine and how does that help? It has to be the caffeine. I NEED to know these secrets

sat next to a nurse on a flight once... I had a migrane. she gave me three advil and told me to drink a reg coke.

the headache was 90% gone by the time we landed.

If you catch it as it starts... this will kill it.  3 advil and a coke... I live/swear by it
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:20:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Caffeine has an effect on the blood vessels in the head that helps relieve headaches (cannot remember if it expands or contracts them).  That's why those of us who have started their day with 1-2 cups of coffee every morning for years get headaches if we don't get our coffee.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Your body is full of toxins and you need to flush them out!

Stop drinking any diet sodas.  Drink lots of purified water and try eating some organic fruits and vegetables more often!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#31]
4 Advil does the trick for me.  That and a dark room and an ice pack on the REALLY bad days.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

you joke, but as someone who gets severe migranes I can tell you that that thought has crossed my mind. For some reason it seems like it would work
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you joke, but as someone who gets severe migranes I can tell you that that thought has crossed my mind. For some reason it seems like it would work

Ive been there!!! I just wanna do SOMETHING to relieve the pressure... as bad as when my wisdom tooth broke open in the middle of the night (I grind my teeth) and I was ready to go down to the tool box and grab a pair of pliers and yank it out myself... Never underestimate the power of pain and what people would do just to make it stop.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#34]
DrFrige,

You have my deepest sympathies regarding migraines.  When I was 13 I started getting them as often as twice a week.  When I get them I'm totally incapacitated for at least half a day, if not a full day.  What pisses me off is that some people used to think that they were all in my head and not some real physical event.  

The only time in my life that I really wanted to die was while suffering from an especially bad migraine in the nurse's offfice at school.  Couldn't seem to find any way to relieve the pain, couldn't think because my brain hurt so bad, couldn't open my eyes because light hurt so much, barfing, etc.  Of course, I suffered the same symptoms at home, but at least I was home and could go suffer through it in a dark quiet room.

They gave me a list of things that are known to trigger migraines:  Processed cheese, red wine, chocolate, canned meats or deli meats, etc.  Turned out that I had a food allergy to processed cheese and it was triggering my migraines.  I love cheese, but I was grateful to give it up if it would prevent the migraines.

I had one this year, after six years of blissful relief since the previous one.  Oh what hell those migraines are!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A migraine first causes the blood vessels in the brain to constrict (vision symptoms) then over-expand (headache hits).  When the vesses expand, you literally have a pressure build-up in the brain.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I have been getting bad headaches recently, I think it's because I have been grinding my teeth a lot in my sleep and during the day. When I catch myself doing it and I force my jaw to say apart, the headache goes away but as soon as I forget, I start grinding again and it comes right back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Your body is full of toxins and you need to flush them out!

Stop drinking any diet sodas.  Drink lots of purified water and try eating some organic fruits and vegetables more often!

Pure spring water and pure grain alcohol.

And deny women your essence.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I had a horrible one last night as well.  It woke me up out of my sleep while at work.  I popped a couple of Excedrine Migraine (which I swear by).  That sometimes is not enough as was the case last night.  So I also put a bag of ice on my head and put some Oxygen on(again I was at work).  These both work to constrict the blood vessels in your head which can help with the problem.  They do suck and thank god I only get them real bad like last night about 3 times a year.  I was awake for 4 hours with it.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Amidrine.  The best barbituate for migraines since apocatharies became "drug stores"
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Last year I had 5 migraines over a period of three weeks. VERY painful.

I'll never use the term migraine lightly again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I used to have them, too.  A drug called "Cafergot" used to work for mine.  It is available generically as caffeine + ergotamine tablets (prescription only), you take one as soon as your prodrome starts.  It usually stopped my headaches before the pain started.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#42]
My doc gave me Midrin, it helped.

Then  I tried MAXALT, it seems to work better.

I'm getting them alot these days. they run in my family.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I get them every now & then.
My antidote: 3 Extra Strength Excedrin and 2 glasses of water.
Follow with sleep or a nap, works well for me. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I recently was diagnosed with migraines and find 222's from Canada help relieve the symptoms.
They contain: Asprin, Caffeine and 8mg Codeine. They are available without a prescription there and you can legally bring 50 across when you visit..
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#45]
This just in: My guitarist called me today to ask how I was doing (Missed rehearsal yesterday because of it) and he tells me that he gets them usually during a full moon... no joke. last night was a full moon. has me wondering.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I get them too, four concussions in three years playing lacrosse will do that to you...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I have patients that tell me this all the time.  Thats why I said it, and from the response of real sufferers, its a common feeling.

There is a new medication called Relpax that seems to work for some of my patients.  Also the injectable Imitrex and nasal spray also have good results.

Secondary considerations after the medication is to eat well. Avoid over processed foods and stay with a healthy meal plan.  Exercise will also help as well as relaxation techniques.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Triptans are the best, Relpax is the best among the Triptans.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top