Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/16/2005 5:12:48 PM EDT
I live in south central Oklahoma where the price of gas is $2.55 per gallon right now. I got a tip from a friend that the price was going to go up considerably in the next 24 hours. I went to the station and filled up and the lady working there told me that they had been warned that it would be $3.00 a gallon by this time tommorrow. Better fill your tanks tonight!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I just saw $2.79 here
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Hybrids and Hydrogen look better everyday.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I live in south central Oklahoma where the price of gas is $2.55 per gallon right now. I got a tip from a friend that the price was going to go up considerably in the next 24 hours. I went to the station and filled up and the lady working there told me that they had been warned that it would be $3.00 a gallon by this time tommorrow. Better fill your tanks tonight!

I paid $3.01 today for the first time.  Ten bucks for half a tank on a MOTORCYCLE.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Ouch.  It's $2.47 here right now... I pass right by a station every day, so I'll see what it is tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Bah.  Still cheaper than a gallon of milk, and I get a lot more usage out of a gallon of gas than a gallon of milk.  Still cheaper adjusted for inflation than it was in the 1980s.

Of course, it helps that I have a car that gets 35 MPG, and the wife will soon be working from home.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear about gas prices everyday where i work.

It amazes me that the people that bitch most have z28 cameros and h2 hummers.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
$2.53 here, and not to fuel the flames, but the guy was pulling the metal covers off all the gas pumps and adjusting something (was just before closing) as I was filling up.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where is this in Oklahoma? Name of town/city and station or convience store?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
And I thought Bush was going to get us cheap gas. Isn't he friends with the Saudis and the oil companies?

Looks like a lot of people think we live in a free market society, but then call the President to ask him to do something about gas prices. Maybe we should start harassing the oil companies like they are hassling us.

Build more REFINERIES!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
If fuel continues the climb, the economy will take a giant shit
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If fuel continues the climb, the economy will take a giant shit

+1,000,000

And you all thought the survival forum was full of it!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Build more REFINERIES!

I think that this is all a scam , just like the OIL "Shortages" Of the 1970's

the fleeceing of America
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
i am SO glad I kept my Honda CRX HF that I bought in 91 (last year made). 40 to 50 mpg, fun to drive, easy to maintain. I almost swapped a hotrod motor into the thing a year ago...

I also have a Subie WRX and considering a Vette. But for around town, commuting and everyday trips to here and there this car is great. I drive it about 70 percent of the time. Use the bigger car for trips and longer drives which are rare for me.

Im waiting on 3rd gen hybrids. plugins probably. Guy has already modified a Prius to get 240 mpg (around town). He added batteries and the ability to charge it by plugging it in. I guess on the road for trips he would have to settle for 45 to 55 mpg.

Personally, it bothers me about the price. But bottom line I think this is a good thing if we handle it right. Oil addiction is one of hour greatest strategic weaknesses. I say figure out a way to use a LOT less oil and screw the various oil vending whinning countries (including Venezuela)..
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calera, about 4 miles south of Durant. The store is a Quik Check. I heard the same thing from the daughter of the owner of a store about 2 miles south of here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
What're ya'll crying about?  I just payed $2.91 yesterday.

Thirty Five bucks to fill up a damn Miata.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What're ya'll crying about?  I just payed $2.91 yesterday.

Thirty Five bucks to fill up a damn Miata.  

Just paid $18 to fill up my John Deere (small lawn tractor).

If it wasn't 3 acres I would buy one of those old time mowers (no engine), or get a damn thrasher.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Bah.  Still cheaper than a gallon of milk, and I get a lot more usage out of a gallon of gas than a gallon of milk.  Still cheaper adjusted for inflation than it was in the 1980s.

Of course, it helps that I have a car that gets 35 MPG, and the wife will soon be working from home.

Do you buy milk 30 gallons at a time ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#19]
2.85 here in oregon for deisel.  Its costs me $85 - $90 to fill up
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
High transportation costs. What a way to shut down a country. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#21]
isn't it great the whole Iraq war was about oil?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Last ime I filled up it was $2.71 a gallon for 87 octaine. Havent paid attention to current prices, only gas up twice a month.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Im sick of this shit. If this really happens, it will now cost me 80 bucks to fill up my van.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]
My uncle has a country place, that no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the motor law
And on sundays I elude the ’eyes’ and hop the turbine freight
To far outside the wire, where my white-haired uncle waits.

Jump to the ground
As the turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me, an old machine ---
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red barchetta, from a better, vanished time
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime...

Wind in my hair ---
Shifting and drifting ---
Mechanical music ---
Adrenalin surge ---

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Suddenly, ahead of me, across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires, to run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I’ve got a desperate plan

At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded
At the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle
At the fireside...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay here go's the tin hat.  Dosnt it just feel like there are forces out there that are delibertly trying to put as much pressure on our ecomony as possible?  OPEC is not and never has been our friend and most of the members of OPEC are arab nations including IRAN which we are scuffling with over their nuc program.  So its not a far leap that all these billions that we are paying for gas and oil is being partially diverted to fund the Islamo/terriosists all over the world.  So in essence the american taxpayer is funding the terrorists in their war against us.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I use 75 gallons a week on average.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What the fuck does the price of a gallon of milk have to do with gasoline prices???
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Figuring that gas may go up another .10 a gallon, then guessing the truck could take about 10 gallons, I ask myself is it worth going out at 10PM to the local stop and rob to save a buck (less mileage to & from the gas station)

(Will roll the dice and gas up tomorrow)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calera, about 4 miles south of Durant. The store is a Quik Check. I heard the same thing from the daughter of the owner of a store about 2 miles south of here.

I now where Calera is at, been through there a time or two, BUT as for $3 a gallon by Tommorrow, well I will believe it when I see it.

I do believe we will see $3 a gallon, but not by tommorrow.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just have an issue with American thinking they have a Constitutional right to cheap gas, when the price of everything, due to inflation, goes up all the time.  Housing, food, clothing, wages, etc.  Adjusted for inflation, gas is STILL cheaper than it was in the 1980s.

Is an extra $50 a month really going to kill you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I now where Calera is at, been through there a time or two, BUT as for $3 a gallon by Tommorrow, well I will believe it when I see it.

I hope your right, I'm just giving out the best information I have. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just have an issue with American thinking they have a Constitutional right to cheap gas, when the price of everything, due to inflation, goes up all the time.  Housing, food, clothing, wages, etc.  Adjusted for inflation, gas is STILL cheaper than it was in the 1980s.

Maybe not for everyone, but I am sure alot of people are feeling a hard hit these days.

There are no easy answeres for the situation I believe before it gets better, things are going to get tough for alot of people.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I hope not, but the extra cost are cutting into my ammo funds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope your right, I'm just giving out the best information I have. YMMV.

Your cool, please dont think I am busting your chops, I am not.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck does the price of a gallon of milk have to do with gasoline prices???

Cost-benefit analysis.  You have to buy gas, you have to buy food.  Now, compared to many years ago, you can get a LOT more usage out of a gallon of gas (in one hour you can drive further than you could travel in a horse and buggy in two days, and haul more).

I just don't understand why so many people bitch and moan all the time about gasoline.  We've always known it was a volatile commodity, compared to everything else.  And yet, people continue to buy vehicles that they KNOW will get crappy mileage, always hedging on cheap gas.

I didn't - I bought a vehicle that was reliable, and gets great mileage.  I still drive a LONG way to work and back, but instead of bitching about the price of gas, I shrug my shoulders and continue to enjoy life.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I paid just over $60 a few days ago to fill up...Has been hovering around the $3 mark here.
Curious to know what the prices will be in the morning.

Why are they going up all of a sudden today?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a WHOLE lot more than 50 bucks a month for me, a whole shitload more. Will it kill me? No. But it will put a big dent in my budget. The current trend in the price of gasoline is absolutely ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Okay here go's the tin hat.  Dosnt it just feel like there are forces out there that are delibertly trying to put as much pressure on our ecomony as possible?  OPEC is not and never has been our friend and most of the members of OPEC are arab nations including IRAN which we are scuffling with over their nuc program.  So its not a far leap that all these billions that we are paying for gas and oil is being partially diverted to fund the Islamo/terriosists all over the world.  So in essence the american taxpayer is funding the terrorists in their war against us.

ON the right track now. Bin Laden is waging an economic war against us at the same time as the terrorists war. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I paid just over $60 a few days ago to fill up...Has been hovering around the $3 mark here.
Curious to know what the prices will be in the morning.

Why are they going up all of a sudden today?

Usual end of summer "squeeze all the bucks you can out of vacationers" hikes. After Labor Day should drop back down to $2.25 - running it up to $3 will make the new usual price seem like a bargain (watch for this to become an annual event)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I think a huge problem, in addition to our dependency on oil, is that just about everyone becomes complacent and takes it for granted.   Then we start becoming wasteful.  Then we are dependant, and when things get rough, it really hurts us.  

I think if this trend continues, we will see a lot of advanced technologies start taking off quicker.  The public will demand it.  More hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles, and maybe even a few pure electric, as well as hydrogen or fuel cell vehicles.  

I think interesting, and troublesome, times may be ahead.  

$50 more a month won't kill me... but it will make me change my habits, and reconsider unneeded use of  my car.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep....when my car runs off of milk, I'll care.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I hear about gas prices everyday where i work.

It amazes me that the people that bitch most have z28 cameros and h2 hummers.

Man my 2002 WS6 Trans Am gets 28 mpg.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#43]
More refineries NOW.. it does me no good to bust Saudi's balls about production if we can't do anything with it once it gets here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep....when my car runs off of milk, I'll care.

Hell, I have a Prius, and even now the gas prices piss me off.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I am about to shit myself
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#46]
This kind of fear mongering will only cause prices to go up even further.  How?  Considering that every tank, on the average, is slightly less than half full, if everyone goes out and tops off their tank, we will be out of gas within 8 hours.  Then prices will go through the roof.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I have noticed silence from the WH. If this was Clinton's administration he would be feeling our pain and releasing reserves.

I'm NOT advocating releasing the reserves. I do wonder, however, if there wasn't a calculated decision to let the American public feel a little pain, so this becomes a successful political issue next year for the politicians advocating expanded drilling and refineries?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#48]
None of yall have anything to complain about, I have a 35 gallon tank.  Its diesel though so I feel kinda good about that.  Even on my worst day in this thing I get better mileage then in my midsize dakota.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#49]
After reading this thread I went and filled up (plus two 5-gal cans) @ $2.53/gal.  Down the street it was $2.69.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not the end of the world yet, but what are we supposed to do if by this time next year a gallon of gas costs over $4.00?  Will it be $5.00 the year after that?  We have every reason to believe that this will be the case.

Will people have to sell their house, cram into densely populated urban areas, and pack into busses and trains (under constant  terrorist threat) to get to work in the next 5-10 years?

I hate to sound like a wacko, but we need to take ALL of the world's oil fields.  It's the only way.  ALL YOUR OIL FIELDS ARE BELONG TO US!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top