Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 12:14:17 PM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165801,00.html

Lost Doll Shuts Down Freeway
Monday, August 15, 2005

English police shut down a major highway Friday — to retrieve a child's toy.

Amy Osborn, 10, was riding in her family's car as it sped down the M11 (search) between Cambridge and London when Tyrone, her stuffed tiger, flew out of the open sunroof.

"There must have been some sort of vortex which whipped him off Amy's lap and shot him out of the car," her father Simon told London's Daily Mirror. "She started bawling."

The family got off at the next exit and doubled back, but found that Tyrone had landed in the central median, right in the middle of six lanes of speeding traffic.

"In desperation, we thought we would call the highway police," Simon Osborn told the BBC. "They called us when we got home and said they had managed to retrieve the little thing — and popped it in the post for us."

Essex county Police Constable Al Cuthbertson was on highway patrol when he got the call, a police spokesman told British reporters.

"Having children of his own and knowing the importance of soft toys to their owners, PC Cuthbertson kept his eyes peeled," the spokesman said. "A short time later Tyrone was spotted on the motorway and successfully captured."

Cuthbertson called in other officers to set up a rolling roadblock, which gave him space to dart out of his patrol car and pick up the doll.

"Tyrone continues his adventures as he travels from Essex to Ramsgate, Kent, courtesy of Royal Mail," said the police spokesman.

Amy was told he would reach her at home in Ramsgate, about 50 miles east of London, by Monday.

Dude. Your fuckin' kid threw it out of the car. There was no fuckin' Vortex !

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope that it got soaking wet and covered in mud.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Our Police are wonderful!!!!!  British Police are not JBT's!

ANdy

That's because they eat crumpets and not Krispy Kremes. It's the violent swing in blood sugar that makes ours so cranky.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ANdy

As an American JBT, I take offense at that!

Have at you, sir.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
A few months ago, some stupid bitch stopped her car so she and her four-year-old daughter could retrive a fucking turtle that was crossing an extremely busy road.  Kid was hit and killed.  Some people are real fucktards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

That's because they eat crumpets and not Krispy Kremes. It's the violent swing in blood sugar that makes ours so cranky.

And Dogs are quite safe around our Police too…

ANdy

What's the worst they can do anyways?  Blow a whistle at it?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

ANdy

I wanna hear Tyrone's side of the story, first. I know if I was passed out in the middle of the road and the police mailed me home, I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

And Dogs are quite safe around our Police too…

ANdy

What are they going to do? Smack them to death with their stick?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched a documentary on British police a while back. They're actually quite professional. I believe it was called "The Keystone Cops" or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]

I wanna hear Tyrone's side of the story, first. I know if I was passed out in the middle of the road and the police mailed me home, I'd be pissed.

One assumes you'd have been pissed before you had a kip in the middle of the M1.

G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top