Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:23:36 AM EDT
So, back in 2001, I was driving through Kentucky and got a speeding ticket for doing 11mph over. At the time, I figured I didn't need to pay the ticket since they wouldn't extridite me for a traffic ticket, and I beleived the points would have no bearing on my driving record since it was out of state. Ok, now we jump forward to about 6 months ago. The wife and I decided we may want to drive through Kentucky for a vacation and didn't want to get arrested while down there. So, I decided to do the right thing and pay the ticket. It cost me $123 dollars and it was taken care of. Now, we jump forward to yesterday. I go to get new car insurance, and they say I have 2 points on my license for a speeding ticket. I was completely confused! I haden't had a ticket here in Michigan since 1999 and the out of state one was 2001! Well, come to find out, since I did the right thing and paid that Kentucky ticket, the points are put on my license now!! It will be three years before I have a clean record again!! What kind of crap is that!! If I would have done nothing about the ticket, I would be $123 richer and have no points on my record!! Isn't there some sort of statute of limitations? Do I have any legal grounds to protest this, or should I tuck in my skirt and quite crying like a Nancy girl?

Kris
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Sucks to be you Nancy

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You didn't "do the right thing"  you tried to hedge your bet and it cost you.

Doing the right thing would have been paying the ticket back in '01.  

But you know that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

But you know that.

Well the choice with the least amount of problems would have been to not pay it at all. Things were fine before that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you know that.

Well the choice with the least amount of problems would have been to not pay it at all. Things were fine before that.

Actually, the choice is to not speed.

But you ignoired that choice, now you pay.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you know that.

Actually, the choice is to not speed.

But you ignoired that choice, now you pay.

Sgat1r5

That is correct.

Sorry, Shop_rat45.

You decided not to obey traffic laws and now you are responsible for the outcome.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#6]
You should of paid the ticket when you got it.  The points would of been gone by now.  Point is you got a ticket and you have to pay it.  Surprised they didn't have a warrrent out for you.  I would tell you to put your ^$%# between your legs and take it like a man.  Take the points and the higher ins. and be thankful you didn't go to jail for trying to outsmart the law.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Getting a ticket is merely an accusation.
Paying the ticket seals your conviction.

Your record now reflects your recent conviction. Before you admitted guilt, you had a pending accusation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you complain about bad credit when you don't pay your mortgage?

Take responsibility and suck it up, if you had dealt with it initially, you'd have a clean record now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You should of have paid the ticket when you got it.  The points would of have been gone by now.  Point is you got a ticket and you have to pay it.  Surprised they didn't have a warrrent out for you.  I would tell you to put your ^$%# between your legs and take it like a man.  Take the points and the higher ins. and be thankful you didn't go to jail for trying to outsmart the law.

Where do people learn the languange these days?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Getting a ticket is merely an accusation.
Paying the ticket seals your conviction.

Your record now reflects your recent conviction. Before you admitted guilt, you had a pending accusation.

+1

Should have paid it when you got it.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoulda got an attorney.

He would have made a motion to redockett, motion to strike your failure to appear and probably got you a deal like in NC where "Improper Equipment" or Nine over exists to cut you some slack on your insurance.

Lesson learned: when dealing with something even simple like a ticket, at least talk to a lawyer to see if he can "do anything for you".

Overall thought:  Sorry dude, been there, done that.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You should of have paid the ticket when you got it.  The points would of have been gone by now.  Point is you got a ticket and you have to pay it.  Surprised they didn't have a warrrent out for you.  I would tell you to put your ^$%# between your legs and take it like a man.  Take the points and the higher ins. and be thankful you didn't go to jail for trying to outsmart the law.

Just got out of bed 2 min before i wrote it.  I should of have waited a few min. before i tried using my brain.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you checked your driving privilages? Most states have an agreement if you get a ticket in one state and do not pay, your state will suspend your liscense.

Other than that you should have paid back then instead of what you did.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
should have stood up and paid it like a man in the begining, quit whinning you nancy.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Is it just me or it the lesson here not to do the right thing?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It would be "just you".

The "right thing" would have been to either pay the ticket or contest it in court when he got it.

He didn't do "the right thing".

Now he must face the consequences.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

WHAT?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got out of bed 2 min before i wrote it.  I should of have waited a few min. before i tried using my brain.

Just got out of bed at 4 in the afternoon?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be "just you".

The "right thing" would have been to either pay the ticket or contest it in court when he got it.

He didn't do "the right thing".

Now he must face the consequences.

It's a traffic ticket in another state.  It's not like a high crime or misdemeanor that might get a President impeached.  If he didn't pay it then he wouldn't have this problem.  Sheeesh.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Kentucky

KY

Funny,isn't it?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Kentucky

KY

Funny,isn't it?

Yes..and he got screwed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
If you would have paid the ticket in 2001 your record would be clean now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you would have paid the ticket in 2001 your record would be clean now.

Well let's just file that pearl of wisdom under "O" for obvious.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Unfortunately, it seems that some need it stated.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Nancy,

Shouldn't have broken the law in the first place.  Then again by not going to court or paying the fine.  

Don't be mad now because you tried to beat the system and the system beat you.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, of course you should have dealt with the issue at the time.  (Notice I didn't say "you should have just paid it," but you should have at least either paid it or plead not guilty and appeared in court).  

You ARE lucky that a bench warrant wasn't issued for your arrest and that you didn't have to spend time in jail in KY.  That would have been the result in some states--regardless of whether you were offering to pay the ticket or not.  

I am always amazed when people come to me after they have totally screwed themselves and want me to give them good news about their legal situation.  You'll always end up paying more by not dealing with the problem now rather than later.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do people learn the languange  language   these days?

Fixed it for you.

viator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top