Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
not bad
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never owned anything good from Midland
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to be licensed by the FCC to operate GMRS radio's and that's about $80. Big fines if caught.

I don't know anyone who has gone through the process though..
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
FACTORY SERVICED  in other words they didn't work right the first time they came out of the factory.

How much effort do you think they put into fixing them if they were going to wholesale them out even at $15, and it was probably closer to $10 or so.

I'm thinking that  10 miles with 3 watts is a lot optimistic.  These have omnidirectional antennas, so the actual power radiated in any direction is a lot less.  And at that frequency range, it's line of sight only, a lot of stuff attenuates (soaks some of the signal up) the signal.   10 miles is line of sight best case conditions.  I'ld really be surprised if you got an effective range of more than a mile.

But for the price, they might not be too bad, for a short range unit, just don't go into thinking you are going to get fantastic comms.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]

That's a pretty good deal.  Midland is a reasonably decent comm company.

Ditto on the licence requirement...although I'm inclined to see whether I can shift the frequency band down into the 440 mhz amateur range....

Jim
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked for PEMSTAR and we did factory refurb work.
Trust me you wouldn't want anything factory refurbed when you saw what we did to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top