Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 8:34:22 AM EDT
Can the trendy craze of holding a pistol sideways be traced to a single movie? Does anyone know who did it first?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it came from a rap music video
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably the movie COLORS, or MENACE TO SOCIETY.  It's strange how "Monkey See, Monkey Do" the ghetto culture is.

No pun intended with the Monkey analogy, I'm sure!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
john wayne?

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
vanilla ice probably,
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's strange how "Monkey See, Monkey Do" the ghetto culture is.

Clever.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I first saw Chuck Norris do it in a movie about 20 years ago. (Not exactly an OG, huh?) Don't immediately recall WHICH movie but he was using a nickle plated 1911 in a slide holster.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I hope these idiots continue to aim like that.
With such a ridiculous posture, they have less chance hitting their target, giving the other side (usually a cop or innocent bystander) a better opportunity to return fire.

I havent seen any of those types at the ranges I shoot at, but I would like to, just to see if they can even hit the damn target. Let them shoot like that....less chance of the wrong people getting killed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clever.

how is that not an accurate depiction?

many members of the "ghetto culture" like to copy what they see rappers and movie stars doing.  monkey see monkey do is a phrase to describe people copying eachother, now if you want to take that as a racist remark, perhaps you should apply as a lawyers aide for the ACLU
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Didnt Steven Segall do it too?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
many members of the "ghetto culture" like to copy what they see rappers and movie stars doing.  monkey see monkey do is a phrase to describe people copying eachother, now if you want to take that as a racist remark, perhaps you should apply as a lawyers aide for the ACLU

Feel free to spin that comment how ever you
like, but when this was added...

Quoted:

...I think that the intent as a double-ententre
was clear. I'm sorry, TRH, but bigotry really
pisses me off because it plays to the lib's
stereotype of Republicans as sheet-wearing,
Southern hick morons.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I hope these idiots continue to aim like that.
With such a ridiculous posture, they have less chance hitting their target, giving the other side (usually a cop or innocent bystander) a better opportunity to return fire.

I havent seen any of those types at the ranges I shoot at, but I would like to, just to see if they can even hit the damn target. Let them shoot like that....less chance of the wrong people getting killed.

The oddball thing of that whole sideways thing is this, if you rotate the gun to be at about 45degrees you actually have better control of the gun(when moving and shooting),there is less muzzelflip. We learned that when doing some latteral movment drills in Sully's pistol class. He can explain it a lot better then I can, but it does work and it is noticeable that it works.

Don't know who started the gansta grip but does it really matter?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The Israeli military trains children and older people on shooting sideways because it's easier for the wreak wristed to rack the slide with the pistol in that position.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It is important in many things to locate the Original Idiot. It helps to understand how BS gets started.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The "gangtsa grip" is a result of the natural motion of the arm and hand.

Naturally, if you relax and extend an arm straight in front of you, your hand will be oriented almost horizontally, palm down, with a tilt to the side of that hand (tilt right for right hand, palm obliquely facing the center).

Because that's the natural movement, I imagine that's why so many people that don't know what they're doing do it that way. That being said, you'd have to ignore the obvious up-and-down design of a handgun which obviously is intended to be fired with the sights straight and the grip extending to the bottom.

ETA: point at something on the wall with your pointer finger, you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Watch the antics of the "performers" in a rap video and tell me if they don't remind you of chimps.  The arms flailing, crotch grabbing, facial contortions remind me of a chimp confronting a threat.  I aint making this up.  See for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The oddball thing of that whole sideways thing is this, if you rotate the gun to be at about 45degrees you actually have better control of the gun(when moving and shooting),there is less muzzelflip. We learned that when doing some latteral movment drills in Sully's pistol class. He can explain it a lot better then I can, but it does work and it is noticeable that it works.

The natural alignment of the arm leaves the hand at a 30-45 degree angle when the arm is parallel to the ground.  Mechanically, this is the strongest angle at which to punch (or shoot).  There is much to be said for keeping a handgun grip perpendicular to the ground, however.  Handgun sights generally make a strong distinction between horizontal and perpendicular alignment, and allow the fastest alignment when the grip is perpendicular to the ground.  With the opposing tensions of a two-handed weaver(ish) grip, there is not much advantage to be had with a cant, and it is better to learn one sight picture.

ETA: beat by ElCamino
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I first saw Chuck Norris do it in a movie about 20 years ago. (Not exactly an OG, huh?) Don't immediately recall WHICH movie but he was using a nickle plated 1911 in a slide holster.

yeah i dont remember the name of it, but there was some movie where the main bad guy was an assassin, and his trade mark was to turn the pistol sideways before he killed everyone. no perticular reason, just did it... then everyone thought it was cool, and it picked up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The natural alignment of the arm leaves the hand at a 30-45 degree angle when the arm is parallel to the ground.  Mechanically, this is the strongest angle at which to punch (or shoot).  There is much to be said for keeping a handgun grip perpendicular to the ground, however.  Handgun sights generally make a strong distinction between horizontal and perpendicular alignment, and allow the fastest alignment when the grip is perpendicular to the ground.  With the opposing tensions of a two-handed weaver(ish) grip, there is not much advantage to be had with a cant, and it is better to learn one sight picture.

ETA: beat by ElCamino

I get what yer saying, was just mentioning that a semi-gangsta grip is actually a viable grip for shooting with your strong hand only while moving(say for me)to the left. If I'm not on the move or I can take a two handed grip, I do that. But there are situations that may arise where the semi-gangsta grip is actually a perfectly viable and insome cases the best grip to use.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Southern hick morons.

It's so easy to bait flaming liberals!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Apparently.  I don't remember the exact date when this site was overrun by sandy-vaginas, but it has clearly happened.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clever.

Indeed
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently.  I don't remember the exact date when this site was overrun by sandy-vaginas, but it has clearly happened.

Is he the guy that stole all of those secret documents?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#24]
No.  That's Sandy Bergina.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wow. That so accurately describes me, what
with the Bush/Cheney sticker on my truck,
my NRA Life membership, and the fact that
I own more guns than most people on this
board.

I guess that we all have to make some kind
of racist reference to be a conservative, huh?
Must have missed that memo...

Next you'll be saying that I am Cyanide's
troll account...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Southern hick morons.

Why Southern?  Now who is pushing a stereotype?  There are probably more "sheet-wearing hick morons" up North than down South these days.  It isn't the 1950's anymore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why Southern?  Now who is pushing a stereotype?  There are probably more "sheet-wearing hick morons" up North than down South these days.  It isn't the 1950's anymore.

Hey, I just echoing what the libs think of
us as. You need not look further than
Hollywood's portrayal of Conservatives
as bucktoothed hillbillies and Texas
cowboys.

I, by no means, believe that stereotype
(just because I live in VT does not mean
that I am originally a New Englander).
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the ppic, Don Vito. I've been meaning to save it. Next time I take my Glcok to the range I'm gonna print it off and ask the guy if he can move my sights over like the pic. Hope I can keep a straight face.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

pisses me off because it plays to the lib's and almost everyone elses
Southern hick morons.

I fixed it for you...

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Southern hick morons.

So racism and bigotry has ended in the South now that it is 2005?

ETA: The ignorance of that statement is colossal!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Southern hick morons.

So racism and bigotry has ended in the South now that it is 2005?

ETA: The ignorance of that statement is colossal!(on your end, absolutly)

No it hasn't ended.  You living in the South should know that.  It is, however, nothing like it was in the past.  I guess you being a kid don't know how it was back then.  You think there is racism now?  Read up on your history.  Things have come a long way.  These days, there is far more racism in other parts of the country.  I have witnessed more racism in California than I ever have my whole life here in Alabama.

Anyway...we're getting way off track.  This is about homie tilt shooting.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The oddball thing of that whole sideways thing is this, if you rotate the gun to be at about 45degrees you actually have better control of the gun(when moving and shooting),there is less muzzelflip.

Steve @ FR&I teaches this, too, for one-hand-only shooting. He does make a distinction between canting slightly as you describe, and "going all the way over to 'yo'."

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The oddball thing of that whole sideways thing is this, if you rotate the gun to be at about 45degrees you actually have better control of the gun(when moving and shooting),there is less muzzelflip.

Steve @ FR&I teaches this, too, for one-hand-only shooting. He does make a distinction between canting slightly as you describe, and "going all the way over to 'yo'."

I can certainly see how such a technique would be more effective than many might think for one-hand shooting.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Watch the antics of the "performers" in a rap video and tell me if they don't remind you of chimps.  The arms flailing, crotch grabbing, facial contortions remind me of a chimp confronting a threat.  I aint making this up.  See for yourself.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#35]
It came from The Good The Bad and The Ugly.
What do I win?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I think I saw Andy Garcia do it in "The Untouchables", with a revolver no less. That was released in '87.  And I think I saw others do it in movies before that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
1966,  Tuco (Eli Wallach) held his gun sideways... though, I don't remember him yelling anything about "bustin a cap in yo punk ass" or anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, man.

I think I'd remember being overrun by a bunch of vaginas, sandy or not.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

...here's where the thread gets interesting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top