Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 7:24:04 PM EDT
Something's buggered in my computer.  I normally run Firefox, but there are some sites that are IE-specific, and when printing from web sites, IE works much better than Firefox does.

Every time I try to run Internet Explorer I get a "Explorer has encountered a problem" and it fails.  Yet I cannot download IE 6 because it tells me that it finds a more recent version.  Apparently I need to remove IE, but it doesn't show up when I run Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel.  I seem to be stuck.

This sucks.

I'm running XP Pro, version 5.1, SP1

Help!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
that means your winsock could be corrupt....    try  this xpwinsockfix

you CAN uinstall IE... go to start settings and then the control panel..  the add remove programs.. the on the left side click, i belive windows componets, something to that effect and IE will be listed!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to update to SP2.
Problem solved.
Don't update Windows Media Player to 10 though.

Quoted:
Something's buggered in my computer.  I normally run Firefox, but there are some sites that are IE-specific, and when printing from web sites, IE works much better than Firefox does.

Every time I try to run Internet Explorer I get a "Explorer has encountered a problem" and it fails.  Yet I cannot download IE 6 because it tells me that it finds a more recent version.  Apparently I need to remove IE, but it doesn't show up when I run Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel.  I seem to be stuck.

This sucks.

I'm running XP Pro, version 5.1, SP1

Help!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
There's no way to truly 'uninstall' IE 6 from an XP machine.

You can remove it through control panel > add/remove programs > add/remove windows components but it won't really be gone and 'reinstalling' won't fix your problem.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard horror stories about updating to SP2.  I'd really rather not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well they are all fake over done (you only hear about the few that go bad), unless you don't know what you are doing even then. You computer is unsecure now. Hey, what am I talking about? It is unsecure with SP2, too,  but less with SP2.

Notice: Before doing a major system upgrade, backup all files.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I waited a good ...crap, I don't remember when SP2 came out!  But I finally "up" graded about two months ago.  I read up on all the problems people had, and was ready with printouts of how to fix them.  Didn't really have much trouble.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well they are all fake over done (you only hear about the few that go bad), unless you don't know what you are doing even then. You computer is unsecure now. Hey, what am I talking about? It is unsecure with SP2, too,  but less with SP2.

Yes...

Back-up, update your drivers, make sure you have enought free hard disk space and defrag. If you do this the chance you will have a problem are very small.

I have done more updates to SP2 than I can count without a problem... so far.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, OK.  It looks like I'll have to upgrade to SP2.

However, I cannot DOWNLOAD SP2, because IT REQUIRES INTERNET EXPLORER.

I have to order SP2 on CD - 4-6 weeks.

I guess I live without IE for 4-6 weeks.

What a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you may have a complete Windows reinstallation in your future, unfortunately. Reinstall Windows (after backing up your critical stuff), and install SP1, then SP2.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually you don't need IE to download SP2 - You only need Explore if you do the online streaming SP2 update.

If you go Here they have a link to the full download from M$. You can also get it directly from M$ if you know how to wade thru all there technobable and B$.

This complete version can install without internet access.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually you don't need IE to download SP2 - You only need Explore if you do the online streaming SP2 update.

If you go Here they have a link to the full download from M$. You can also get it directly from M$ if you know how to wade thru all there technobable and B$.

the link you gave give spyware pop up...... here is the link directly from microsoft link

u can use firefox, or open up my computer, then under view(under toolbars) make sure address bar is checked.  then type this url and see if the page, or any page comes up!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the link you gave give spyware pop up...... here is the link directly from microsoft link

u can use firefox, or open up my computer, then under view(under toolbars) make sure address bar is checked.  then type this url and see if the page, or any page comes up!!!

I don't think so:

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP today. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
I'm not an IT professional.  I think I'll wait for the CD.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to Uninstall Programs and select IE.  It will will you the option to repair the installation
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
boot from your windows cd and choose the option to re-install.  it should detect your existing windows installation and give you the option to repair.  

when you re-install from the cd rather then starting the re-installation from windows it will remove the old files and install from the original files on the cd.  if your problem is a registry problem this will not work however if your problem is corrupted or mis-matched files this will repair it.

if this does not work repeat the process but chose to replace the existing operating system rather then repairing.  this will essentially give you a new clean operating system but it will not wipe out all your files and programs.  you will need to reinstall your windows programs in order for them to operate in the new windows.  it should also repair your IE.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not update to WMPlayer 10?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think so:

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 2 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP today. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

It should be fine since I have updated a few computers doing it the same way with only one that caught fire.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing.  I have not had any problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#18]
You need to update to SP2.  IE is built into the OS.  You cannot get rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Go to Uninstall Programs and select IE.  It will will you the option to repair the installation

IE doesn't SHOW UP in "uninstall programs."  That's part of the problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
boot from your windows cd and choose the option to re-install.  it should detect your existing windows installation and give you the option to repair.  

It's a DELL.  No Windows CD.  (You have to ask beg Dell for one.)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to MicroSofts webb page.  There is a flag that you can set in the registry that you can set that will tell windows that IE is not installed.  Then I think that you will have to download IE using Netscape or Firefox.  You can then reinstall IE as if it had never been installed.

I did this on one pc and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think so:

Actually, the CD you receive will contain the same file...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#23]
G to control panel, click on the automatic update icon. At the bottom you will see ahighlighted go to the windows update site.  The site will tell you what you are missing. Pick custom and install SP2.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#24]
It has Digital Rights Management tied into it too much for me.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry I was using FireFox so no spy/popup occurred. GAB

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you made it thru SP1 you can get thru SP2!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I didnt have a lot of time to read into this post but here are 2 solutions for you.

1. Upgrade to the current service pack

2. Install windows OVER itself. Doing this replaces system files but does not delete your personal data please be careful when using this option if you select the wrong prompt at the wrong time youll format and lose all your data.

Updating your service pack isnt for everyone. New updates mean new bugs new security problems etc. for example a version of windows media player allows a bug in which people can send you pop up messages (spam). If you are computer savvy try a unix based operating system. I've been a unix user for several years. Aside from being gaming impaired theres really nothing windows can do that a unix system cannot. 95% of *nix type software is free! part of the open source agreement. Not recommended for a novice though and do your research before selecting a distribution. Slackware and Debian linux is a good start. Avoid mandrake and redhat like unix systems. Just thought id throw in some advice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Go to MicroSofts webb page.  There is a flag that you can set in the registry that you can set that will tell windows that IE is not installed.  Then I think that you will have to download IE using Netscape or Firefox.  You can then reinstall IE as if it had never been installed.

I did this on one pc and it worked fine.

I just did that.  Worked great!

I still get the error message when I try to run IE.

It's beginning to look like I need to do a complete Windows reinstall.

UPDATE:

VICTORY!  I installed the latest updates, and viola!  IE runs again!  I'm posting this from Internet Exploder!

Thanks, y'all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top