Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:12:09 PM EDT
do you think it's OK to go through one of those, and then since they say you name your own price, you name a price of $0 and drive away?

Seems dirty to me, but I guess you're paying their asking price.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't you just explain your long list of morals in another thread?

Of course it isn't okay to pay nothing.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I stop for bikinis.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
do you think it's OK to go through one of those, and then since they say you name your own price, you name a price of $0 and drive away?

Seems dirty to me, but I guess you're paying their asking price.

Well yeah, I guess if you want to be a complete asshole you could do that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Of course it isn't okay to pay nothing.

Sgat1r5

I wouldn't do it myself.

I just thought it would make an interesting question, since technically you are paying their minimum asking price. They should just say something like "$3 minimum, but any donation beyond that helps."

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

not really, I just came up with a list of stuff since he seemed to have some point to prove by getting an answer from me.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
this is a car wash right?  Draw down!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If no price is named, $5 sounds good for me. $0 is just an assholish move.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not really, I just came up with a list of stuff since he seemed to have some point to prove by getting an answer from me.

You can't lie aboput your morals!

That's immoral!!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It never gets old!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the correct answer was there, but you can't go wrong with pie.  I vote pie.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Kharn

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
They provided a service and they're trying to raise some money witout trying to sell some annoying overpriced crap. You owe them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
5 buck minimum.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They provided a service and they're trying to raise some money witout trying to sell some annoying overpriced crap. You owe them.

Then why don't they name a minimum price. If they wouldn't be happy with a 15 cent donation, then why leave it as an option? I like to have things neatly defined.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]
depending on the vehicle, even 5 is kinda cheap.  if you have a minivan or SUV or truck, you should probably give 10.      and if its really dirty......

i could never give anything below 5 unless their washing job really sucked.        thats the only thing:  if they do a shitty job, i'm gonna give them very little and explain exactly why.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
5 buck minimum.....

I wouldn't give them any less than the cheapest drive through car wash I could find in the area.

Those thing go for like $7 around here.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then why don't they name a minimum price. If they wouldn't be happy with a 15 cent donation, then why leave it as an option? I like to have things neatly defined.

Because they're trying not to be dicks and demand a certain amount. You should at least give them what they deserve. A few dollars at least.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they're trying not to be dicks and demand a certain amount. You should at least give them what they deserve. A few dollars at least.

How does naming a price work out to being a dick?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
My high school did it so we got pleges from people.  They would pay us so much for each car we washed.  So we didn't care if the people in the cars themselves payed.  The more cars we got through the more money we got.  It was quantity of cars not donations of the people in the cars that we were after.  Of course we would take any donations the people in the cars decided to give.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Staistical data.
Basically you pull in more when doing a "donation" car wash (or whatever sale) then a straight cost sale.  Even with the dirtbags who give nothing, there are 2-3 people spotting a 10$ or $20.  You would be suprised.  Even better if you have na actual good cause.  And yes ya pervs, bikinis work well too.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been on the carwash side of this, and yes we had people who stiffed us, and yes we had people who donated more than $20.  It never really bothered us when we got stiffed, because it was a rare thing.  Tyipcally, we got about $5 per car, occaisionally getting $1 or $10, with a rare $0 or $20+ in there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Kharn

+1

I won't pull into one unless I have $5 in my pocket.I'll pay more if the car exceptionally dirty or it's a cause that I really support.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll drop a minimum of 5 bucks. More if the bikini's are washing the cars--not just standing on the corner. Nothin worse than false advertising...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Were there any dogs there?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was in high school I organized a few donations-only carwash fundraisers for our Key Club. Occasionally we would get a driver who would stop by and give us $20 and just drive away, because they were former Key Clubbers themselves and/or recognized the name and the work we did.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#26]
You could... but you'd be an asshole.  

I wouldn't go to one of those anyway.  Sponges and towels all over the ground... picking up dirt and particles... the people working there grinding it into my paint...  oh hell no.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Karma is a bitch.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does naming a price work out to being a dick?

Isn't there a legal or tax reason for not naming a price, I think that is why they do it like that
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I wouldn't go to one of those anyway.  Sponges and towels all over the ground... picking up dirt and particles... the people working there grinding it into my paint...  oh hell no.  

I didn't think of that.

I will no longer frequent the teenage girl bikini show car washes, at least not until my paint gets sufficiently scratched up that I don't care.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Only a complete and total fuckstain would not pay at least $5 toward a charity car wash.

Anyone who does not pay deserves an ass whipping on general principles.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Duh, how about if you want to pay nothing, don't go through the carwash.  Is that so hard to figure out?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#32]
No, it's not ok to pay nothing.

And no, a bunch of kids ain't washing my truck.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top