Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:06 PM EDT
It was done by my buddy from HS and his younger brother.  Neither was a military history buff or expert, but they did a great job and learned many lessons from their journies abroad. Here is the email I got from him:

"After three years of intense effort and emotional investment, our deeply moving documentary exposing some of the most brutal and disturbing events experienced by mankind during the 20th Century, the Bataan Death March and the horrific incarcerations of American and Philippine POWs that followed in the Philippines during WWII, will finally enter American households and begin touching lives soon.

A special version of the documentary edited as a one-hour television special will debut on The Discovery Channel on Thursday, August 11 at 9:00 pm eastern time.  Ghosts of Bataan is being released on television in conjunction with the theatrical release of a Miramax film on August 12th, "The Great Raid".  The Great Raid focuses on a daring and remarkable rescue mission carefully planned and perfectly orchestrated by 121 hand-selected U.S. Army Rangers.  It marked Gen. Douglas MacArthur's promised return to the Philippines and saved over 500 U.S. Death March survivors languishing in a hellish Japanese POW camp at Cabanatuan at the end of WWII.

Our Ghosts of Bataan documentary was produced from over 60 interviews conducted by us with U.S. and Japanese soldiers that personally experienced the events plus WWII military experts and historians that carefully documented them.  The supporting library included 300 source tapes and over 200 hours of material.    

The initial prime time telecast of Ghosts of Bataan will be followed by a number of repeat telecasts on Discovery and its family of networks.  This is the schedule as we know it now ... we hope you'll be able to tune-in at one of these times:

THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL

August 11 (eastern time):

9:00 pm and 12:00 midnight

THE MILITARY CHANNEL

August 11 (eastern time):

8:00 pm and 11:00 pm

August 12 (eastern time):

4:00 am, 7:00 am, Noon and 3:00 pm

In addition to these telecasts, Miramax Films will release a Special Edition DVD including our documentary as a companion piece to the movie.  

Ghosts of Bataan is the first project we produced without any idea of where it would find a home.  It was done purely on the merit of the story and the sense of duty we felt to the Battling Bastards of Bataan and their families to reveal the nature of the horrendous experiences these soldiers endured and then lived with daily as survivors.  It is fitting that these men, many of whom are no longer with us, will finally have their stories told to a wide audience. That is the true payoff for us and I'm sure you will take pride in this too!  

Please feel free to circulate this news far and wide as we'd like as many people as possible to see the documentary and movie."

Hope you enjoy it.

bd

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw that last night. 2 atom bombs were too kind for them.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
saw it this morning. The vets sure didn't mince words. My father in law was a young man in indonesia during the occupation-there is no love lost here...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top