Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:00:25 PM EDT
From what I've heard on the news, he pulled them over because the father in the passenger seat didn't have his seat belt on. Ran the plates and a computer error said the registration was expired. Ok, not his fault the computer screwed up. But even if it hadn't been a mistake his behavior after that was out of line
wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=30605

2-On-Your-Side reported on Tuesday about a police traffic stop that had the driver slapped in handcuffs and her SUV towed away. Trouble was, the arrest was based on bad information, and the woman and her husband say she should not have been handcuffed.

The couple, along with their young son, say they had to walk home after police had their vehicle towed.

"He'd never seen his mother in handcuffs before," Tom Block tells us. Their son was seven years old when the incident occurred in July. Young Tom was in the back seat with the family dog.

Orchard Park Police pulled over his mom, Linda Gedeon, because her husband didn't have his seatbelt on. He was in the passenger seat. State motor vehicle records showed her registration had been suspended. The arresting officer handcuffed her, as her husband and son watched. "I was scared," the boy tells us.

Their car was towed, Linda was released. Then mom and dad, young son and the family dog took what turned out to be a 2-1/2 hour walk home to their house in Orchard Park. Linda says they got home at 11:30 that night.

"Like six miles," young Tom says.

Rich Kellman asks about the dog. "He also walked?"

"Yes," Tom says. "I didn't think he was going to make it." He did and they did, but the bitter memory of that evening in late July stays with the family.

"If it happened to me, I'd be one angry person," says Erie County Clerk David Swarts. He tells us that the State Department of Motor Vehicles had a computer glitch last month. Twenty-six hundred vehicle records were damaged. Swarts doesn't know whether Linda's were among them, but her records, in fact, were wrong. The State DMV now confirms that her registration was valid.

"Shouldn't someone say they're sorry?" Kellman asks Swarts.

"Certainly the folks deserve an apology," Swarts responds, "there's no question about that."

On Wednesday, Orchard Park Police Chief Samuel McCune told us he called Linda earlier in the day and told her the Town would pay the remaining $50 on the towing bill, and apologized. "It's a situation that's got to be put to bed," McCune says. "This should help to do that."

Linda is pleased with the gesture. "Chief McCune was nice," she tells us. "He did say he was sending us the $50 and that he would speak to the officer also. I'm happy about what the chief is doing."

"Do you feel better about the situation?" Kellman asks.

"Yes, I do feel much better," she responds. "Thank you."

Her husband adds, "I hope somebody else won't have to go through the same thing."

Tom says he'll pay the fine for the seatbelt violation because, after all, he was guilty of that, but nothing more.

Chief McCune says the arresting officer did what the rule book says to do in handcuffing a person suspected of a misdemeanor. The arrest turned out to be based on bad information, but Tom and Linda say that in any case, the officer should have been more courteous and respectful of their son who watched the whole thing.

Whether the officer used good judgment may be clarified by Thursday evening after McCune is scheduled to meet with the officer to get more information on the incident.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
why would u cuff someone for expired tags, i think its just a ticket in CA?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Something in this story is missing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
For us, Expired/Fictitious Plates is techincally an arrestable offense, but usually they're just cited and released.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I agree what kind of  A hole has a families car towed for not paying registration?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1, handcuffs for expired tags???
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Where was this?  I've never seen anyone impounded over expired tags.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
What, you mean she didn't have any proof in registration in her car? I know those are mandatory in California, dunno abot other states.

I'll bet that there is some missing information, like the woman not being very pleasant, thus why she was singled-out and cuffed and nobody else was. Way too fishy to hear of only one person of three being cuffed. Plus the dog survived, so no hardcore proof of it being a JBT.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Did they cuff the dog?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I agree what kind of  A hole has a families car towed for not paying registration?

Well, he can't let them drive it off. It's illegal to drive an unregistered car on a public street, and if he let them go, he'd be the one in trouble.  But he could have at least gotten them a ride or something.  Telling them "Tough luck.  Walk home." isn't cool.

(I know the car wasn't really unregistered, but he didn't know that.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
[I'm pretty sure what you're avocating is illegal and at least dangerous as if you assault a police officer at his home you're more than likely going to lose in the long run. 4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government. - Paul]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]
So can I ask this.  Is there some good reason why you would leave a family to walk on the side of the road without offering to summon some form of transport for them even at their cost?  Would that be unreasonable to ask if they wern't a car full of meth heads?  I just can't understand the total lack of concern.  Maybe if it's just the one person involved, but a family with the kid?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
<quote removed since original text removed --AC >

Um, IBTL?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CVC 22651(o)(i) once the registration is expired over 6 months, if the car is found on public streets it is towed for storage until all registration fees are paid.

The handcuffing seems too much to me though.  As for "making" the family walk home, I doubt it.  I'm sure the cop offered to radio for a Taxi for them, on top of pointing out the nearest payphone where they could call a cab or a relative themselves.  Hell even the illegal aliens whose cars I impound under CVC 14602.6(a) have a cell phone to call someone for a ride.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]
It also illusteares that problem with computers and data bases.  If a minunum wage data entry clerck makes a typo, 1) the cop won't know 2) will take what ever info from the computer as gosple (unless its REALLY out of wack)  3)  there are little avenues available to citizen to have faulty info corrected.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
If everyone in my little corner of paradise had their car towed for no tag-insurance-registration, they'd run out of impound space. It's a friggin' zoo. 24 hit and runs (vehicle on vehicle) as of June in a 10k population.

ETA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I agree what kind of A hole has a families car towed for not paying registration?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, he can't let them drive it off. It's illegal to drive an unregistered car on a public street, and if he let them go, he'd be the one in trouble. But he could have at least gotten them a ride or something. Telling them "Tough luck. Walk home." isn't cool.

A co-worker's car was hit a year or so ago by someone w/o license. He said the cop gave the guy a ticket for failing to have a license, BUT LET HIM DRIVE OFF?????????????
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, he can't let them drive it off. It's illegal to drive an unregistered car on a public street, and if he let them go, he'd be the one in trouble.  But he could have at least gotten them a ride or something.  Telling them "Tough luck.  Walk home." isn't cool.

What we did was cite, tell the person not to drive, then go patrol a different area, 30 mins later they are gone. Same with DWS or DWR.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
what baffles me is......

are there not set guidlines that LEOs follow for each certain instance, especially routine stops??  or is it totally up to them what they do and what type of force/punishment the distribute to John Q. Public?  so the guy is having a bad day, he can be a peckerhead x2?  maybe this is a question for the LEO forum?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Did they cuff the dog?

At least they didn't shoot bowzer!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm an asshat.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Not expired registration, suspended- operation with a suspended registration is a misdemeanor, it's not the same thing as letting your registration run out.

I got ya.  I'm still curious if the officer offered to call a taxi or anything.  That's really all I see wrong with what happened if he didn't.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#23]
standard result from any leo - civilian interaction.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
standard result from any leo - civilian interaction.

Bullshit

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Every department that I know of has a procedure to either transport the effected persons back to HQ or call for a taxi and wait with the subjects until they are safely in the cab. Only an idiot would leave a family stranded along a roadway.

The cop should be reprimanded and lose a few weeks of vacation if this really occurred the way it was written up in the paper.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
[I'm pretty sure what you're avocating is illegal and at least dangerous as if you assault a police officer at his home you're more than likely going to lose in the long run. 4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government. - Paul]

ok, then I'd kiss his ass and beg him not to taser me....  just llike the rest of ya's
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It also illusteares that problem with computers and data bases.  If a minunum wage data entry clerck makes a typo, 1) the cop won't know 2) will take what ever info from the computer as gosple (unless its REALLY out of wack)  3)  there are little avenues available to citizen to have faulty info corrected.

+1
On three different vehicles I've had the mouthbreathers at the local DMV fuxxor my registration.  If all three had been registered at the same time I'd put it down to an off day.  But there was a span of a few years between the screw ups.  The receipt was typed out right & saved me grief when pulled over but the info never seemed to have been entered into the computer.   On the last one the "been there, done that" local yokel immediately asked if I had gotten my tags at the local DMV.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
get cop's name > do google search > obtain phone number > obtain living address > payback

if done correctly, results are quite satisfactory

Fuck the cop for a computer glitch? Gimmee a break. Go after Bill Gates, hotshot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So these people didn't have $8 to call a taxi?

They didn't have $0.25 to call a friend or family member?

The article makes it sound as if the car stop occured in the middle of a desolate stretch of roadway.  With the families home being the nearest outpost of civilization.  In fact I am sure that werewolves nipped at their very heels for the entire march home.

That or they didnt want to walk across the street to Denney's and call grandma.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The article makes it sound as if the car stop occured in the middle of a desolate stretch of roadway.  With the families home being the nearest outpost of civilization.  In fact I am sure that werewolves nipped at their very heels for the entire march home.

LOL!

probably in the middle of the desert too!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#34]
In SC from what I've seen, the cops will always tow like they did in this case.  There's a lot of money made in towing and storage fees, so they always tow when they can come-up with an excuse to do so.  The difference is that the police are required to give you a ride to the nearest police station so you can call someone to pick you up and have somewhere safe to wait.  Usually if your house isn't far, they'll give you a ride home.  No cop here ever leaves someone stranded on the side of the road.z
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!

probably in the middle of the desert too!

I'm not familiar with this area but there are numerous rural areas in NY where there is nothing around for miles. In any case it was the Police Officer's responsibility to call for a taxi or other transportation if none was readily available at the location.  You do not leave families stranded along the highway when you impound a MV.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What, you mean she didn't have any proof in registration in her car? I know those are mandatory in California, dunno abot other states.

I'll bet that there is some missing information, like the woman not being very pleasant, thus why she was singled-out and cuffed and nobody else was. Way too fishy to hear of only one person of three being cuffed. Plus the dog survived, so no hardcore proof of it being a JBT.

the sticker was clearly visible on the windshield, the tv news showed it. Supposedly the computer fucked up and said the registration had been revoked
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
...from what I've seen, the cops will always tow like they did in this case.  There's a lot of money made in towing and storage fees, so they always tow when they can come-up with an excuse to do so....

That or uninsured, unlicensed drivers are such a financial and physical risk to the rest of us that the cops have learned that by towing ther car that means there is less likely to be a hit & run or DUI traffic collision while that car is in the tow yard.

I tow every unlicensed illegals car that I can becuase I know on friday night they will be driving borracho and I hate responding to traffic collisions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

OH oh a cop basher. You are gonan burn in heck for your disobedience. How dare you question.

I wasnt there and maybe she was uppity, maybe its their SOP to cuff them. Cop Could be innocent in tis.

BUT if that happened to me and the gov screwed up my records getting me in all that, I would call my lawyer right away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Bullshit!!!   Bullshit!!!   Bullshit!!!   Bullshit!!!   Bullshit!!!   Bullshit!!!   Bullshit!!!  

Illegal aliens get a freaking free pass for no

- insurance
  - registration
  - title or ownership requirements

because it causes their community undue hardship!!!

But this woman is cuffed and her and her family are forced to walk home!!!

Unfreaking believable!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the sticker was clearly visible on the windshield, the tv news showed it. Supposedly the computer fucked up and said the registration had been revoked

Interesting, but the I'm running off how it works here - there is a registration sticker on all of our rear license plates, however since the sticker can be tampered with/stolen/whatever it is also mailed with a printout form the DMV that you are required to keep in the vehivle while in operation as "proof of registration." Not having a sticker is probably cause to be pulled over, but since it can be stolen they'll also ask for the paper proof of registration, which will generally get you off the hook.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Scenario:

I posted something similar in another thread about 2 wrongs not being right. Let's say the woman had been adamant about her registration being valid (and she WAS right after all). Cop says "No, it's not" and tries to cuff her. She pulls away (remember, she IS right) because she knows this can't be happening. One thing leads to another and husband jumps in, ugly scene. Both are charged with resisting arrest. Ultimately the error is discovered but the resisting arrest charges remain (as I'm sure they would). Why? If there was NO REASON (even in hindsight) for the first charge to take place then ANYTHING after that, shy of active violence which resisting is not, should be stricken from the record. I know, I know, succumb and desist even if you're right 'cause their authority supercedes your innocence. It'll all sort itself out, right? BULLSHIT!!! (of course you'd better damn well be sure you're innocent after all)

See guys, and you may not like this, but even mistakes under color of authority are unexcusable. Two wrongs do NOT make it right. Anything that occurs after the first "error" is moot (or should be).  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Orchard park is far enough out from buffalo to be considered it's own small town and not a suburb. It's where the Bill's stadium is. I'm not too familiar with Mile Strip Road other than to know it's a pretty major road in the area for traffic
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Not expired registration, suspended- operation with a suspended registration is a misdemeanor, it's not the same thing as letting your registration run out.

What the hell is "suspended registration?"   I don't think there is such a thing.  Maybe New York is different, but in every single state I've lived car registration is a tax or fee that you pay and it's good for the year.  How can you "suspend" a paid tax?

Also, every state I've been in gives you an official printed registration form that shows you've paid and when it expires, plus some sort of sticker.  If the computer shows your registration fees unpaid, your DMV registration form (not to mention the official license plate/windshield sticker) is evidence that you have paid the fees.  So what is this "suspended" registration crap?

On Wednesday, Orchard Park Police Chief Samuel McCune told us he called Linda earlier in the day and told her the Town would pay the remaining $50 on the towing bill, and apologized. "It's a situation that's got to be put to bed," McCune says. "This should help to do that."

Linda is pleased with the gesture. "Chief McCune was nice," she tells us. "He did say he was sending us the $50 and that he would speak to the officer also. I'm happy about what the chief is doing."

Excuse me?  Handcuffs?  Towing?  Walking home?  It seems to me there was plenty of evidence that this family paid their fees.  I'd tell the Chief of Police to shove the $50 up his ass and prepare to be sued for false arrest, illegal property seizure, emotional distress, etc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]

a government for the people, of the people, and by the people

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#46]
"tax collector" I guess  the officer did this to serve and protect.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell is "suspended registration?"   I don't think there is such a thing.  Maybe New York is different, but in every single state I've lived car registration is a tax or fee that you pay and it's good for the year.  How can you "suspend" a paid tax?

Also, every state I've been in gives you an official printed registration form that shows you've paid and when it expires, plus some sort of sticker.  If the computer shows your registration fees unpaid, your DMV registration form (not to mention the official license plate/windshield sticker) is evidence that you have paid the fees.  So what is this "suspended" registration crap?

Excuse me?  Handcuffs?  Towing?  Walking home?  It seems to me there was plenty of evidence that this family paid their fees.  I'd tell the Chief of Police to shove the $50 up his ass and prepare to be sued for false arrest, illegal property seizure, emotional distress, etc.

If you live in a state that requires insurance, your registration can be suspeneded if they find out you no longer have insurance.

The rest of your statement is more blah, blah, blah and more blah.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#48]
JUST RUTHLESS POLICE OFFICER...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you live in a state that requires insurance, your registration can be suspeneded if they find out you no longer have insurance.

Where I live if you get caught driving without insurance they suspend your Driver's License.

The rest of your statement is more blah, blah, blah and more blah.

What, you were expecting Shakespeare out of me?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top