Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 12:24:12 PM EDT
(from Netscape.com)

Most Liberal and Conservative U.S. Cities
The most liberal city in the United States is Detroit, Mich., and the most conservative is Provo, Utah. That's the word from a new list compiled by the Bay Area Center for Voting Research in California based on a study of voting in 237 U.S. cities with populations of more than 100,000, reports United Press International.

"Detroit and Provo epitomize America's political, economic and racial polarization," BACVR Director Jason Alderman said in a news release announcing the study findings. "As the most conservative city in America, Provo is overwhelmingly white and solidly middle class. This is in stark contrast to Detroit, which is impoverished, black and the most liberal."

The top five most liberal cities in the U.S.A.:
1. Detroit, Michigan
2. Gary, Indiana
3. Berkeley, California
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Oakland, California

The top five most conservative cities in the U.S.A.:
1. Provo, Utah
2. Lubbock, Texas
3. Abilene, Texas
4. Hialeah, Florida
5. Plano, Texas

Provo is a good demographic indicator for the entire Utah County area.  Keep in mind that Utah was the only state where Bill Clinton came in third after George Bush Sr. and Ross Perot.

Unfortunately, though Salt Lake County is still fairly conservative, Salt Lake City itself is becoming very liberal.

Dang, there are a lot of very conservative Texan cities.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Dang, there are a lot over very conservative Texan cities.

Ain't no such thing as "overly conservative".

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Not for much longer though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, my bad.  I meant, "of very conservative..." and had a mild case of spelling dislexia.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer to live in the country.  Cities are the debbil.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It's funny how most of the Liberal states are crime ridden shit holes.

The 2 can't be related though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you buy beer on Sunday?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it just a coincidence that 4 of the top 5 most liberal cities in the country are the biggest shitholes in the country?

Im sure 8 or 9 of the top 10 most liberal cities are shitholes as well.

When will America wake-up?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazing, I just read that Texas has become the fourth state where minorities make up the majority of the state.

I think the figure the quoted was 50.4%.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually, yes you can in most parts of Utah County.  However, not being a drinker myself, I'm not sure which cities might have ordinances against Sunday liquor sales and which don't.

Besides, if you really need it, stock up on Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
lol lubbock ranked the most conservative yet have the highest STD rate in tx or maybe the nation, not sure which but its VERY high, lubbock is known for its STDs and apparently now its conservatives
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Amazing, I just read that Texas has become the fourth state where minorities make up the majority of the state.

I think you might be surprised at how conservative many hispanics really are.  Not all of them, of course, but many of them are.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, yes you can in most parts of Utah County.  However, not being a drinker myself, I'm not sure which cities might have ordinances against Sunday liquor sales and which don't.

Besides, if you really need it, stock up on Saturday.

True, but often you find you need more at 1:00 AM Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Hialeah, Florida since when do conservative cites have illegal aliens congregating boldly on street corners waiting for day work????Huh are you sure?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hialeah, Florida since when do conservative cites have illegal aliens congregating boldly on street corners waith for day work????Huh are you sure?

I've seen one corner in Provo where that was happening.  Keep in mind that the study was of cities of over 100,000 people.  You're bound to find some diversity in a population that big.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Sweet dude...Im from PLANO TEXAS  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes sir I do it every Sunday
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
lol lubbock ranked the most conservative yet have the highest STD rate in tx or maybe the nation, not sure which but its VERY high, lubbock is known for its STDs and apparently now its conservatives

Fuck ya...Lubbock Rocks      Lubbock has always been hardcore conservative  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm about 5 miles from Plano as the bird flies, does that count for me?

ETA:
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Today, in Dallas while driving I saw a "Texas Democrat" bumper sticker. It also had hippie peace ond love stickers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also texas is now out numbered in minorities to whites. whites 46% minorities 54%.

so my question , woudn't that put whites in the minority a qualify for special assistance?

except for the fact that whites wouldn't take advantage of the free hand outs in any great numbers as compared to other "minority groups."
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also texas is now out numbered in minorities to whites. whites 46% minorities 54%.

so my question , woudn't that put whites in the minority a qualify for special assistance?

except for the fact that whites wouldn't take advantage of the free hand outs in any great numbers as compared to other "minority groups."

I think that just made you an arfcom racist.
..oh shit, no it doesn't

you are a disenfranchised minority who is fed up with the man keeping you down. My bad.

Now lets make up our own language, act like fools in public, and completely disregard any and all accepted social behaviour.

See, I can say all this because I am a minority see.... if anyone questions me, THEY are racists.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, in TX, white is the minority! We're only 49.6% of the population.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#23]
See that number 5 on the most liberal list?

That is the seat of the county in which I live.

Local politics suck ass big time. They definitely do not represent me or my interests.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So, the "minorities" are the "majority" and the Majority is the Minority.  Doesn't this just keep up the Us vs. Them BS?  (Rhetorical question, no answer needed).

I'm guessing this is referring to ethnicity.  If it is though, how come they never really considered the ethnicity of the majority.  White isn't an ethnic term.  Irish is, Polish too,...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey, I live in Plano!!

Anybody have a link to this info? I can't find it on Netscape.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
See that number 5 on the most liberal list?

That is the seat of the county in which I live.

Local politics suck ass big time. They definitely do not represent me or my interests.

I used to live in the Concord/Walnut Creek area.  Yes, I agree with you that the local politics of Oakland do suck big time.  Then again, so do the politics of Contra Costa County too.

You do have some beautiful hills though.  I especially like the big LDS temple in the Oakland hills.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hey, I live in Plano!!

Anybody have a link to this info? I can't find it on Netscape.

Here's another link at the Washington Times:
http://www.washtimes.com/upi/20050811-072804-4191r.htm
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The top five most conservative cities in the U.S.A.:
1. Provo, Utah
2. Lubbock, Texas  <---- Grew up there
3. Abilene, Texas  <---- Family there and spent a lot of time there as a kid
4. Hialeah, Florida
5. Plano, Texas

Fuggin' A.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I live in Provo and I'm from Plano.

I guess I'm just that damn awesome
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I live in Provo and I'm from Plano.

I guess I'm just that damn awesome

Yes you are.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Is there a full list somewhere?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#32]
The upside of living in Provo is that it is the most conservative city in the country.  The downside of living in Provo is that it is Provo.  And always will be.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#33]
We're Number ONE!!!  We're Number ONE!!!

Oh wait, wrong list.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Conservative, middle class, white

Liberal, impoverished, black

I demand congressional hearings on this matter.  Who is responsible for this racist material?  I am sick and tired of people using the 1st amendment to espouse their hatred and prejudice.  I am deeply offended and, yes, saddened that obviously biased and incorrect opinion is passed of as news.  Oh, sure, you can make numbers say anything you want if you just ignore the truth!

I propose enforced integration.  Move half of the people from one city to the other, and vise versa.  Let's see how well the so-called "White, conservative, middle class" can do in this oppressed wasteland.

HILLARY '08for the children.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The upside of living in Provo is that it is the most conservative city in the country.  The downside of living in Provo is that it is Provo.  And always will be.

Those grapes must be really sour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top