Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 11:19:31 AM EDT
Been thinking about joining a Police Academy and becoming a JBT...

My Dad was a cop from 1965-1987... 1987-1995 he was Chief of Police in a local township...In '95 he was forced into disability/retirement due to heart attack...(died in '01 of another)

My brother is a cop in a local township. He's been doing it for about 3 years and loves it.

I ran into an old friend yesterday... A guy I haven't seen in years. Turns out he's also a local cop, and was recently promoted to detective. He loves the job too...

I'll be 38 years old in November, and have no military experience or college under my belt.
I'd like to think I'm pretty even tempered and physically fit.

My Dad never tried pushing me or any of my three younger brothers into law enforcement as a career...So I never really gave it much thought.
It just seems like everyone around me is either a cop, related to a cop, or wants to be a cop...
It's an infectous disease, and now it seems I'm looking that way as well...

Any advice or suggestions ???

TIA

ART
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you under 5'6"?
Do you hate dogs and love donuts?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, I thought you turned gay, but JBT is just as good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Christ for a minute there I thought you were going to buy a Ford or a Mopar or something!!

As for the job - if it's something you think you'd like, and you think you could get in, why not give it a try?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LOL, I thought you turned gay....

Not in a million years...

Married 6 years and still can't keep my hands off the wife.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Suggestions?  You know you just painted a big bullseye on your backside?  

I am sure someone will offer the "Don't shoot any dogs" suggestion very soon.

But I would tell you if you think it is something that you would enjoy, then do it.  Nothing ventured nothing gained comes to mind also.

Whatever you decide,

Good luck

ETA:  I am slow typing, and I see it was basically the first reply.  We are so predictable.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
it looks like it could be a good career if you are into that sort of thing.  Personally i couldn't sit in a office all day.  Cruising around looks alot better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Become a Peace Officer, not a JBT.  There's too many Judge Dredd/RoboCop hall monitor types as is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Christ for a minute there I thought you were going to buy a Ford or a Mopar or something!!

You should know better than that.  

As for the job - if it's something you think you'd like, and you think you could get in, why not give it a try?  

I look at it like this...
I'd get to drive a fast car, speed any time without getting a ticket, shoot someone else's guns, chase badguys down and club 'em over the noggin, shoot pesty pit bulls, etc...  You know... things like that seem like alotta fun, and getting paid to do it is even better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
why?  do you honestly have NO marketable skills?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
why?  do you honestly have NO marketable skills?

Actually, I'm quite handy...
Just too lazy to utilize my talents.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Why, were you picked on in high school and now you want to "show them"
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just too lazy to utilize my talents.

I think you'd make a GREAT cop!!  

Seriously, you're still young enough. Check it out. It might be a great career move - I mean, nothing will even change the fact that there are more than enough criminals and outright dumbasses to keep you employed!  Hey if you stick with it long enough, maybe you can become my CLEO!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Why, were you picked on in high school and now you want to "show them"

Actually, I was 'sort of a hardass in school and was well respected. I always had the fastest cars and the hottest babes.
My nickname was "stud"... Believe it or not....
At 38, I've pretty much forgotten all about high school...  That was 20 years ago...

Only struggle I might have is being asked to do something I feel is unconstitutional or unethical. Like "checkpoints", ticket quotas and fishing expeditions...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Become a Peace Officer, not a JBT.  There's too many Judge Dredd/RoboCop hall monitor types as is.

+1  It sounds like you've given it a lot of thought.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Seriously, you're still young enough. Check it out. It might be a great career move - I mean, nothing will even change the fact that there are more than enough criminals and outright dumbasses to keep you employed!  Hey if you stick with it long enough, maybe you can become my CLEO!

My Dad being a cop for 30 years, and Chief for his last ten, certainly has made my name a familiar one in this county. He was very popular and knew many people. I'm sure I wouldn't have any trouble finding work... Just 'gotta be qualified first. I need that "Act 120" certification...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I know where i live you can only join until you are 35 or so.  So check the age limits before you get to heavy into this and find out later that you are a old man in their eyes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I know where i live you can only join until you are 35 or so.  So check the age limits before you get to heavy into this and find out later that you are a old man in their eyes.

I think the PSP requires college credits and younger cadets... Being a minority doesn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Just so you know I speak from experience...I started out with the Cook Co Sheriff's Office, working the jail and was part-time with a suburban Chicago PD.  Then I worked for the Chicago Housing Authority PD.  Then Chicago PD.  Now I work for a large Metro PD in Arizona.  

I love the work, but I hate the job.  Sometimes I hate the work too.  Law enforcement is nothing like you imagine...even if you have close family and friends giving you the inside scoop.

I've gone through career burn-out twice, lost one partner and a few friends in the line of duty and a marriage.  I've worked patrol, homicide, dope, gangs, auto-theft and swat.

I guess it really depends on the kind of agency you work for, but dealing with human garbage day-in and day-out really starts to dim your view of society in general.  

Carefully research the PDs you want to work for.  Try to do a couple of ride-alongs with each of them.  It can be a very difficult job at times...ok..MOST of the time, difficult in the sense of being frustrated with the idiots in Admin around you and some of your fellow officers.

I'm sure there are other coppers out there who still love the job every day and love the place they work in, so don't let my little black cloud sour you out of it.

In short, if you want to do it, go for it.  You will regret it for the rest of your life if it's really something you want to do.

ETA:  We had a guy in our last recruit class who is 42.  After a couple of eye-openers, he's turning out to be a very good street officer.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just so you know I speak from experience...I started out with the Cook Co Sheriff's Office, working the jail and was part-time with a suburban Chicago PD.  Then I worked for the Chicago Housing Authority PD.  Then Chicago PD.  Now I work for a large Metro PD in Arizona.  

I love the work, but I hate the job.  Sometimes I hate the work too.  Law enforcement is nothing like you imagine...even if you have close family and friends giving you the inside scoop.

I've gone through career burn-out twice, lost one partner and a few friends in the line of duty and a marriage.  I've worked patrol, homicide, dope, gangs, auto-theft and swat.

I guess it really depends on the kind of agency you work for, but dealing with human garbage day-in and day-out really starts to dim your view of society in general.  

Carefully research the PDs you want to work for.  Try to do a couple of ride-alongs with each of them.  It can be a very difficult job at times...ok..MOST of the time, difficult in the sense of being frustrated with the idiots in Admin around you and some of your fellow officers.

I'm sure there are other coppers out there who still love the job every day and love the place they work in, so don't let my little black cloud sour you out of it.

In short, if you want to do it, go for it.  You will regret it for the rest of your life if it's really something you want to do.

Sheep

Our small local depts are nothing like you describe... Mostly Barney Fife stuff in my neck of the woods... In the city, it's another story. I'd just like to start out part-time, or work for a small department to get my feet wet first.
I've done the ride-along already with my brother. He works for a pretty decent sized dept and gets plenty of activity.
The night I rode along though, it was 89% boredom, 10% paperwork, and 1% excitement.
Had a lights & sirens call to a break-in alarm (nobody there), a few VASCAR induced traffic stops, a small fender-bender, and a dinner stop at a local pizza shop.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the PSP requires college credits and younger cadets... Being a minority doesn't hurt either.

So, which minority will you claim....  White, Conservative, Gun Owner
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Our small local depts are nothing like you describe... Mostly Barney Fife stuff in my neck of the woods... In the city, it's another story. I'd just like to start out part-time, or work for a small department to get my feet wet first.
I've done the ride-along already with my brother. He works for a pretty decent sized dept and gets plenty of activity.
The night I rode along though, it was 89% boredom, 10% paperwork, and 1% excitement.
Had a lights & sirens call to a break-in alarm (nobody there), a few VASCAR induced traffic stops, a small fender-bender, and a dinner stop at a local pizza shop.

There is nothing wrong with a Mayberry-type P.D.  I know a lot of small town coppers and deputies who are better cops than many of the big-city officers I work with.

If you want it, go for it.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Does not sound like you will make a good JBT.....But it does sound like you will make a damn fine Officer.

Laid back and not gung-ho, and witty with the responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top