Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/11/2005 11:10:20 AM EDT
As soon as I pull over, I always get out of the car right away and walk non-aggressively towards the cop car with my hands in plain view. My goal is to show I am friendly, non threatening and that I don't have a weapon. I'll introduce myself and offer to shake his hand. I'll then tell him I have a weapon in the car and give him my CHL. It always seems to work and the Officer will never tell me to get back in my car. In my experience, I always seem to get along well with the Officers and they are generally friendly.

Some people have told me this is the worst thing you can do (get out of the car) and could get you shot because Police view this as a threat.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
That could get you shot, stay in your car with hands out the window or on the wheel and leave on your seatbelt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
In my neighbor hood, when you get pulled over if the door opens, guns are drawn.  Get out of the car without being told, shots fired.  If it a nice cop theyll tell you to over their PA to get back in the car and keep hand where they can be seen.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
This is colossally stupid.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You stay the hell in the car unless told otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#5]
sit boo boo sit
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#6]
All it would take is to put yourself in their shoes to know it's not a good idea.

Sure you may be trustworthy, but not everyone is.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually run up to the officer to show him my new Lorcin I picked up at the gun show.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]

NEVER get out of the boat car.  Learned that in Philly (the hard way) as a stupid teenager.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As soon as I pull over, I always get out of the car right away and walk non-aggressively towards the cop car with my hands in plain view. My goal is to show I am friendly, non threatening and that I don't have a weapon. I'll introduce myself and offer to shake his hand. I'll then tell him I have a weapon in the car and give him my CHL. It always seems to work and the Officer will never tell me to get back in my car. In my experience, I always seem to get along well with the Officers and they are generally friendly.

Some people have told me this is the worst thing you can do (get out of the car) and could get you shot because Police view this as a threat.

What do you guys think?

Damn, you must be looking to get shot!! Make sure you leave your dog at home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I drive naked, just for this very case.

When I get pulled over, I immediately exit my vehicle.  Being naked shows the officer I am no threat and have no weapons.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd turn off the engine, and sit tight with my hands on the wheel. I wouldn't want to be a cop approaching an unknown vehicle these days.  20 years ago things were a lot different.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#12]
10 years of driving now and I have been pulled over exactly once.  Sounds like some of you people get pulled over every other day.

Yes I am knocking on wood right now. (that sounds bad)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I usually run up to the officer to show him my new Lorcin I picked up at the gun show.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Stay in the car. If we want you out, you'll hear the loudspeaker. Pretend it's one of those amusement park rides - you never know which way it's going to turn, but it's a pretty good idea if you stay seated.

Otherwise, we lose out on the whole good-ole-boy-strutting-up-to-your-car walk.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I stay in the car like a person who doesn't want to end up face-down on the pavement.

Call me crazy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
10 years of driving now and I have been pulled over exactly once.  Sounds like some ov you people get pulled over every other day.

Yes I am knocking on wood right now. (that sounds bad)

I drive an M3, rather quickly some times. I get pulled over about once a year.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#18]
This is assuming of course that one is sober enough to walk the distance from ones car to the cop car without stumbling out into traffic.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#19]
i've never been pulled over but if i did,  I would stay in the car with my hands in plain view.   of course i would still have the cdplayer  on playing "F**K the police' by NWA playing

just kiddin about hte NWA part  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#20]
If someone pops out of their car when I pull them over, they either:

A) Have something in their car that they don't want me to see
B) Are going to run for whatever reason
C) Want to fight

Here is the better thing to do:

1) Put both hands on the steering wheel
2) Roll down your window
3) Turn on your dome light if it's dark
4) Maintain a polite and friendly demeanour
5) Don't reach for your license, registration, or proof of insurance until I ask for it.

Generally speaking, I won't shake hands with someone until after I've established that the person I'm talking with is not a threat.  Again, please don't jump out of the car - that's one good way to really cause a jump in a cop's heart rate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Dude,

Some simple rules to avoid getting shot during a car stop:

DO's:
Shut off the engine.
Turn on the interior light.
Place hands on steering wheel in plain sight.
Roll down the window.

DON'Ts:
Make sudden moves.
Reach into the glove compartment until told to do so.
Reach under the seat.
Get out of the car.

ETA: And the biggest and most important rule of all is to never admit to anything or consent to a search.

ETA2 because I'm a moron...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#22]
light on, keys on dash, hands on wheel.  Damn people its too fucking easy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Roll down the windshield.

Stupid defective car with no winshield crank
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Is my dog with me?

Kidding, of course.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#25]
If you want this to happen yes
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I get out and run directly at the police car waving a deadly instrument.

but hey... I've always wanted to get shot by a policeman.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Somebody needs to post that Chris Rock "How not to get your ass whipped by the Police" (or whatever it was called) video.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I stay in the car like a person who doesn't want to end up face-down on the pavement.

Call me crazy.

I think it has alot to do with your first impression. If you're older, drive a nice car, dressed nice, not covered in tattoos, don't have an attitude, don't move in a threatening manner, then it's likely the officer is not going to perceive you as a threat. It's worked for me many many times, and I actually get out of many tickets with just a warning.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Roll down the windshield window.

fixed it
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call me crazy.

I think it has alot to do with your first impression. If you're older, drive a nice car, dressed nice, not covered in tattoos, don't have an attitude, don't move in a threatening manner, then it's likely the officer is not going to perceive you as a threat. It's worked for me many many times, and I actually get out of many tickets with just a warning.

I'm glad that it works for you, but I'm not about to try it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call me crazy.

You should try it in Baltimore some time. Report back with your findings...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Stay in the car.

I usually roll the window down, place left hand on the rearveiw mirror outside the car, place right hand on the top of the wheel and turn the dome light on irrespective of time of day.

When the officer approaches and asks for registration or license, I say "I will be more than happy to get them for you officer, but I must first tell you that I have a firearm in the vehicle with me."

I have never had a problem.  Actually got out of a ticket one night because I told him where to get a deal on a .357 like the one I had.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#34]
1. Pull over
2. Turn off car.
2.5. turn on dome light if dark.
3. Roll down window.
4. Drop keys out window onto pavement.
5. Stick both hands out window.
6. Smile and STFU.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roll down the windshield window.

fixed it

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I think I saw you on COPS.  Do you always drive with your shirt off?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't get out, usually it's unbearable hot, or cold, I sit where it's cool, or warm depending on the outside temperture.........then there is always the possibity you'll get hit by another car. screw it, he is the one that pulled you over let him do all the work, and take his chances of getting hit by a car. I also just barely open up the window to hand him my license, and registration
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#39]
My grandpa was a Chicago cop. One of the first to ride patrol on motorcycle.  In his day it was polite to get out of the car and walk back to the cop, and I used to do that back in the 70's and early 80's.  I haven't been pulled over in 20 years.  Glad I read this...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#40]
The best reason to stay in your car is that you are much safer from other motorists as they drive by rubbernecking and being their normal inattentive selves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#41]
You pull over?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I saw you on COPS.  Do you always drive with your shirt off?

Only if my only wife beater T shirt is soaking in the sink.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#43]
That is the dumbest thing to do.

By the way, why do you get pulled over so much anyway!?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Somebody needs to post that Chris Rock "How not to get your ass whipped by the Police" (or whatever it was called) video.

coc police would lock the tread for being racist. - Damn funny video.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you guys think?

I THINK you havent actually TRIED this and its just what you THINK you are going to do!

Oh and PS

Dont THINK for a second that you are going to pull this off in Florida!

I am perplexed that anyone would doubt me. When I was a kid, EVERYONE would get out of their car to meet an officer when pulled over. It was a sign of disrespect not to.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#47]

In his day it was polite to get out of the car and walk back to the cop, and I used to do that back in the 70's and early 80's.

Exactly.  We were taught that the police wanted us to get out of the car and go to them.  Now we have jerks like TheCynic that call people stupid for doing what the police told us to do.z
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#48]

On the few occasions I have been pulled over, I do this:

1. Find the safest nearby spot to pull over.  If I'm on a busy street or highway and a side road is close, I will slow, signal, and pull off of the heavily trafficked road onto the side road, proceed a short ways, and then stop.

2.  Pull way the heck over so the LEO can pull over and be as far out of harms way as possible.

3.  Turn on interior lights if it is night; roll down both front windows; shut off radio; shut off car.

4.  Remove keys from ignition, place on dash in front of me.

5.  Both hands on steering wheel at 10 and 2; wait for officer.

I've gotten a ticket once having been stopped about five times in my life.  Two of those stops were "bored rural LEO" stops.  I decided the above 5 steps were about all I could do to ensure the safety and security of both myself and the LEO stopping me.  And, not only does it keep us safe, but a safe and secure LEO might be less likely to feel the need to write a ticket!

Jim
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#49]
I roll down the window, open the door, take a knee behind my door, and pull out my fiream to show him I am a CCW holder while yelling "I"VE GOT A GUN!!!"

It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I quickly put on my seatbelt while I am stopping so I can argue that I was wearing it all the time...

but I sure as hell aint getting out...thats looking to get shot.

I always heard to keep your hands at the top of the steering wheel so the cop can see em as he walks up.  Never helped me though.

The cops at our local roadblock (about once a month at 10-11 at nite) vary on how they act towards people stopping.  I think it pissed them off the nite we stopped, with the whole family laughing at them..and me and my wife both said...you're at it again? (they did it two nites in a row).

they musta heard that a ton that nite as they got mad.  course when you can look in a bmw and see a family of four having fun...what else you gonna assume but they were laughing at you.

Essayons
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top