Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:53:02 PM EDT
I started a new job as an appliance repairman about a month and a half ago and I'd like to find a good compact multimeter.  Fluke is out at the moment because of price.

Brent
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a cheap SOB when it comes to some around the house tools, but if you are going to be a repairman spring for the Flukes.  The lowest end Flukes are not too bad on the price, and are a nice product.  They should do everything you need for appliances.  And you will look professional.  Looks/perception count for some of your customers.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am a cheap SOB when it comes to some around the house tools, but if you are going to be a repairman spring for the Flukes.  The lowest end Flukes are not too bad on the price, and are a nice product.  They should do everything you need for appliances.  And you will look professional.  Looks/perception count for some of your customers.  

+1

We had some cheap CAT5 testers at work that the we had to keep replacing.  I finally got the boss to spring for flukes.  You get what you pay for, definately.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Greenlee DM 110 that seems to work real good and gets good reviews, but it seems to be an older model.

Here's one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at some of what Ideal and Greenlee have to offer.....  I'm an electrician and have found both to be pretty damn good quality, and a little cheaper than the Flukes.....

I'd say save your loot and buy a good meter ONCE, and never again, but if you need something with the quickness,  Give em a shot.....  They're absolutely NOT junk, so you wont be disappointed either way.

JB
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't swing a Fluke, try a Wavetek/Meterman or an Extech, probably in that order.

I have experience with all three, and they have proven to be reasonably reliable.  Fluke is the undisputed top of the line though.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top