Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 5:27:54 PM EDT
I have the m22 stieners but picked up a small set of military binoculars and can not find much on them. they will fit in my top bdu pocket with no problem.
they are rubber coated small compact black and are marked u.s. army M24  pioneer 7x28  apache
the optics are killer. they adjust on both eyepieces and have the range finding rectical in the left eye. it ranges from 3 below center of scale to 7 above center and 5 left to right both directions. do they still issue these.
how do I use these?
does anyone know what this might be worth also?
 thanks jon
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I saw some of these on Ebay, just type in military on the search, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at SWFA's web site, www.riflescopes.com. They carry, or did the Apache bino's.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks just went there and the only new type was the m22 large steiners.  sure they are on there before and they must be a military issue.
come on guys all you gi's out there must know what these are. i have a small pair of simmons and they are the same size but these weigh about two to three times more.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
First, the Steiner M22G's have been replaced by the Fujinon M22B binocular with the multi-spectrum "green" laser filter.

The M24 is the very newest issue the Army is providing.  Smaller and lighter than the M22, ideal for airborne and other special ops troops.

Go here for more information:

http://w4.pica.army.mil/voice1997/970425/binoculars.html

The scale you see inside is a mil-dot reticle.  I will quote from the operator manual for the M22(TM 9-1240-403-12 & P)

Use of the reticle

One of the telescopes of the binocular includes a horizontal and vertical scale reticle graduated in 10-mil increment unit markings (1 unit-10 mils, 2 units-20 mils, etc)

Fire corrections can be made by viewing the impact area and determining angular corrections by use of the left and right horizontal reticle scale.

In determining range, if an object fills one 10 mil unit marking on the horizontal reticle scale and is known to be 10 meters wide, the object is 1000 meters away.  If the same size object fill two unit markings (20 mils), it would be 500 meters away.  When this formula is used, the distance will be given in the same units of measurement(feet, meters, etc) as is used in estimating the known size of the object.  The same formula can be used to determine range with the vertical scale when the height of an object is known.  The use of the vertical scale is preferred(especially on level terrain), since objects are often viewed obliquely along the horizontal axis.

Hope this helps you understand better.  Maybe some of the others can provide more info.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
PLATFORM389

thank you thats a great artical.
 these seem to be the exact ones that you have given me the info on and will try to figure out the range finding info that you gave. the cost to uncle was $263 or something close so I guess they are worth a few bucks. wonder what they go for in the civilian market. will keep the m22's in the jeep and use the m24 for hunting. thanks again jon
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Normally you don't use the reticule pattern in your binos for range finding.  They are for adjustment of indirect fire.  Although you can visually interpolate to 1 mil, it is not accurate enough for the average observer to be able to determine distance.  Even with a sniper rifle with actual readable 1 mil increments, accuracy is normally less than 10 percent of range to target.  You use the mil relation formula to determine the magnitude of mils to meters and it is mils=W/R in which mils is the angle of measurement in mils between two points, W is the lateral distance (width) in meters between two points, and R is the mean distance in thousands of meters to the points. This relation is approximately true for angular measurements less than 600 mils. This is often also seen in the common formula of W=(r/1000) x M. This is an approximation because of the fact that you are attempting to determine a cord between two points on the inside of angular measurements. In order to increase accuracy artillery FDC will multiply of divide by 1.0186 to convert the outside angular measurement to the true strait line distance. For a subtended angle you divide by 1.0186. You will find this yields 1 mil equaling 3.54 inches at 100 yards. Very close to the often cited 36 inches at 100 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top