Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:40 PM EDT
I was just on my way into the shower this afternoon when I heard someone that was definitely trying to come through the locked door of my 1 bedroom apartment.  I immediately dashed to the closest and grabbed my 870 and loaded it with a single shell.  From the sound of the guy slamming his shoulder into my door in attempt to open it, I wasn't sure if I had time to get any more shells in the gun.  So here I am, with one shell successfully loaded and standing completely butt-ass naked in the doorway to the bedroom where I have taken a defensive position.  As loud as the action on that gun is, the guy would have definitely heard the distinctive pump-action sound come through the paper-thin walls.  I think that that is what put an end to the break-in before it even started.  If that guy would have come through that door, he would have definitely been very sorry that he did.  There was some really load music in the room below me late last night, so I am pretty sure that there was a sizable party down there.  It was probably just some confused drunk guy trying to get back in to his friend's apartment.  Never the less, it got me thinking a little more about home defense.  I have friends and some young family members that frequent the apartment, so I would never even consider keeping a loaded gun around.  However, if that door hadn't been locked, I wouldn't have had a chance to load my shotgun.  So I am a bit torn about what to do.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
An unloaded gun is worthless.  Not much of a question of what to do?  You may have gotten luck this time.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok here is what you do.

You have the shotty in the closet already right? well, you put two  large nails inside the closet above the closet door, wrap them in electrical tape and put your loaded unchambered shotgun on the nails that way you can open, reach, rack, attack! And it is out of the kiddo's reach. Pistols work well here too. Inside the closet above the door does not work for short people.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a lock (like the ones the cops have in their squads) for shotguns kept in a house.

IIRC. while they have the standard "DO NOT STORE LOADED FIREARMS IN THIS DEVICE" warning, it blocks the action sufficiently for you to store empty chamber / full tube without fear of an accidental / malicious chambering / firing.

Something to consider.

Or, one of the speedfeed 4 shot tube loaders (if they work - haven't researched them enough to know)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
you should've opened the door as you were and arms wide open.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was just on my way into the shower this afternoon when I heard someone that was definitely trying to come through the locked door of my 1 bedroom apartment.  I immediately dashed to the closest and grabbed my 870 and loaded it with a single shell.  From the sound of the guy slamming his shoulder into my door in attempt to open it, I wasn't sure if I had time to get any more shells in the gun.  So here I am, with one shell successfully loaded and standing completely butt-ass naked in the doorway to the bedroom where I have taken a defensive position.  As loud as the action on that gun is, the guy would have definitely heard the distinctive pump-action sound come through the paper-thin walls.  I think that that is what put an end to the break-in before it even started.  If that guy would have come through that door, he would have definitely been very sorry that he did.  There was some really load music in the room below me late last night, so I am pretty sure that there was a sizable party down there.  It was probably just some confused drunk guy trying to get back in to his friend's apartment.  Never the less, it got me thinking a little more about home defense.  I have friends and some young family members that frequent the apartment, so I would never even consider keeping a loaded gun around.  However, if that door hadn't been locked, I wouldn't have had a chance to load my shotgun.  So I am a bit torn about what to do.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just load the shotgun and make sure people don't go in your closet. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

and jiggled your man parts at the would-be attacker!

Edit: I assume your a male.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That would have made me stop burglarizing a house and run away. IF I was a burglar though.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep it loaded under the bed. Kids come over, then unload it.

You were lucky to have as much time as you had. If it were me I would have rammed your door down on the first try.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You were lucky to have as much time as you had. If it were me I would have rammed your door down on the first try.

especially if you knew he was nekkid........
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I knew it I knew it. Just the sound of a pump shottie will scare off a perp.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sister was home (rural area) one afternoon with my 1-year old nephew.  A car drives by on the gravel road, stops and black fellow gets out.  My sister spots him but he didn't see her.  He walks around the back of the house with a golf club and starts checking all the doors.  At some point she grabbed the nephew and retreated to the bedroom, locked the door, then went into the closet, off the master bath.  She got on the phone to my step-dad (biggest little deputy in all of Texas) and he tells her he's on the way and to sit tight with whatever she has, which turned out to be an 870.  She fidgets around and manages to get it loaded.  She grew up with guns but hasn't handled one in many years.  At some point the guy breaks the glass out of some French doors and makes entry.  She said she could occassionally hear him shuffling around, opening doors and such, and tried to stay quiet.  He finally got to the locked bedroom door and just kicked it open.  When she heard him rattle the bathroom doorknob she closed the chamber on a round as hard as she could.  After that she says she heard a little shuffling then nothing, until the deputioes showed up.  

What the guy didn't know was that he picked the wrong house.  Every po-po in the county was swarming in minutes and they caught him running across the pasture.  They also got his buddy who was sitting down the road waiting to make the pickup.  I have no doubt that despite my sister's lack of great gun handling skill, that dude was but a couple of steps away from some serious hurt.

I do believe the sound of a shotgun's action can deter a criminal.  His intent was to steal some stuff, not die.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and jiggled your man parts at the would-be attacker!

Edit: I assume your a male.

The hysterical laughter could turn the tables on a criminal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It definitely was a bit odd, standing there with "my man parts jiggling".  Even so, I was kinda hoping that the guy might make it through, just so he won't ever try it again.  I have thought about keeping a loaded clip around for my mini-14, but a shotgun is still the best I think for home defense.  I am definitely in the process of figuring out where I can keep a loaded gun in my apartment and keep it out of the hands of dumb friends or the young'uns.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It definitely was a bit odd, standing there with "my man parts jiggling".  Even so, I was kinda hoping that the guy might make it through, just so he won't ever try it again.  I have thought about keeping a loaded clip around for my mini-14, but a shotgun is still the best I think for home defense.  I am definitely in the process of figuring out where I can keep a loaded gun in my apartment and keep it out of the hands of dumb friends or the young'uns.

uh oh...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am definitely in the process of figuring out where I can keep a loaded gun in my apartment and keep it out of the hands of dumb friends or the young'uns.

Lookee here
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#17]
What load do you keep for your shotgun?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am definitely in the process of figuring out where I can keep a loaded gun in my apartment and keep it out of the hands of dumb friends or the young'uns.

Lookee here

Beat me to it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Why bother even LOADING the weapon?  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have thought about keeping a loaded clip around for my mini-14,

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#21]

From the sound of the guy slamming his shoulder into my door in attempt to open it, I wasn't sure if I had time to get any more shells in the gun. So here I am, with one shell successfully loaded and standing completely butt-ass naked in the doorway to the bedroom where I have taken a defensive position.

You just learned an important lesson about keeping a loaded gun.  Most people don't get a "warning" like that.  Take it to heart and protect yourself better in the future.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uh oh...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#23]
No warning in my house. Chamber of the 870 is already primed, just turn off the safety. When people say "the sound will scare . . . . ." I reply "Why would I rack the action and put a perfectly good round on the ground?"

I'm a believer in the theory that you may not have enough time to rack a shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#24]
All my guns are loaded, and I have one secured in each room, even all three of the bathrooms. I've had my place broken into a couple of times while I was here, I don't mess around anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother even LOADING the weapon?  

That's why I made some audio recordings of  a pump shotgun being racked.  I copied them onto a 60 minute CD at random intervals between 15 and 60 seconds apart.  When I leave the house, I leave the CD playing at high volume and set it to repeat.  I used several different brands of ammo, so it produces different sounds--that way anyone listening for a couple minutes straight will think there are 5 or 10 different guys armed and waiting for them.  I throw in a "Molon Labe!!!" shout about every 10 minutes in case any JBTs try breaking in.

I have had this running for a week now and haven't been robbed in that time, so I figure it is working like a champ.  I am going to sell my ammo this weekend cause I obviously don't need it anymore--I will use the money to burn more CDs and sell them to people in DC, CA and NYC.    Early retirement here I come!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That's why I made some audio recordings of  a pump shotgun being racked.  I copied them onto a 60 minute CD at random intervals between 15 and 60 seconds apart.  When I leave the house, I leave the CD playing at high volume and set it to repeat.  I used several different brands of ammo, so it produces different sounds--that way anyone listening for a couple minutes straight will think there are 5 or 10 different guys armed and waiting for them.  I throw in a "Molon Labe!!!" shout about every 10 minutes in case any JBTs try breaking in.

I have had this running for a week now and haven't been robbed in that time, so I figure it is working like a champ.  I am going to sell my ammo this weekend cause I obviously don't need it anymore--I will use the money to burn more CDs and sell them to people in DC, CA and NYC.  early retirement here I come!!

where can I get mine?!?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had this running for a week now and haven't been robbed in that time, so I figure it is working like a champ.  I am going to sell my ammo this weekend cause I obviously don't need it anymore--I will use the money to burn more CDs and sell them to people in DC, CA and NYC.  early retirement here I come!!

where can I get mine?!?

Why in the EE forum of course...if I say any more we will be locked!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Personally I think a shotgun is far too big and unwieldy inside a dwelling.  It's hard to turn corners, almost impossible to turn around in a hallway (sometimes it's best to retreat rather than shoot it out), and there's no way you can hold it at ready while investigating an unexpected visitor without threatening people .  (A crime in most jurisdictions.)

But a 2 " or 4" .38 revolver or small automatic fits the bill.  When I had roomates, I kept an L-Frame .357 in the end table drawer where I sat an watched TV in the living room.  I picked up a small desk drawer lock at the hardware store, so if I left or had guests, I could just lock the drawer to keep the kids out.  But when I was sitting there on the couch, I'd just unlock the drawer and I had a gun at my fingertips if I needed it.

This point was driven home by my coworker Chuck who had polio as a kid and couldn't walk without crutches.  There was no way he could jump up and run to get a gun, so he kept an S&W M28 in the side magazine pocket of his favorite La-Z-Boy recliner.  One day he was at home watching TV when he heard a noise at the front door, and moments later the door flew open and he was face to face with an intruder.  Without having to leave his chair, he raised the .357 and fired once, hitting the scumbag in the chest, and then called 911.  In fact, he never left the chair when the cops showed up, and after determining that he was a cripple at home who shot the guy who forced open the front door with a crowbar, the cops just collected the body and left.

I also like pistols because I can answer the door with one in hand.  If I'm not expecting anyone, I'll hold the gun in my right hand just behind the door frame out of view and open the door with my left.  If the visitor is hostile or tries to push their way into my house, I'm already holding a gun in my hand and can immediately open fire.  But if it's some kid selling candy or a Jehovah's Witness, I can tell them to piss off and they never see the gun.  Do that with a shotgun and you'll be arrested for brandishing or ADW.

So rethink your home protection plan and pick up a cheap, used revolver and throw it in a drawer or keep it with you as you move from room to room.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Let me say, had there been two bad guys and they busted through your door, you would have been SOL.  It is inexcusable to have an unloaded self-defense weapon.  There are ways to store them safely and still allow quick access.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#30]
If the guy actually made it in, you should have said (while standing buck nake w/your shotgun) HAVE YOU SEEN THE MOVIE PULP FICTION?

Ugh....Ugh...Ugh...Ugh...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If the guy actually made it in, you should have said (while standing buck nake w/your shotgun) HAVE YOU SEEN THE MOVIE PULP FICTION?

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have thought about keeping a loaded clip around for my mini-14,

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=12876

Whaddya mean except the M1 Garand? The Garand has a fixed internal magazine. You don't think there's just 8 rounds of .30-06 rattling around loose in there, do ya?

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#33]
If you are going to keep a gun for self-defense at home you might as well keep it loaded, and unload when necessary (kids coming over). It doesn't have to be a ritual, just a habit to learn.

During the break-in, did you have to remember where the shells were, what load they were, fumble with the box, the shells, light switches, safety, bolt release? Even in the dark if you know where your weapon is you can usually grab and get it into ready position without turning on lights. Plus you know it's good to go, and you can verify that if you have the time on the way to the disturbance.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Personally I think a shotgun is far too big and unwieldy inside a dwelling.  It's hard to turn corners, almost impossible to turn around in a hallway (sometimes it's best to retreat rather than shoot it out), and there's no way you can hold it at ready while investigating an unexpected visitor without threatening people .  (A crime in most jurisdictions.)

But a 2 " or 4" .38 revolver or small automatic fits the bill.  When I had roomates, I kept an L-Frame .357 in the end table drawer where I sat an watched TV in the living room.  I picked up a small desk drawer lock at the hardware store, so if I left or had guests, I could just lock the drawer to keep the kids out.  But when I was sitting there on the couch, I'd just unlock the drawer and I had a gun at my fingertips if I needed it.

This point was driven home by my coworker Chuck who had polio as a kid and couldn't walk without crutches.  There was no way he could jump up and run to get a gun, so he kept an S&W M28 in the side magazine pocket of his favorite La-Z-Boy recliner.  One day he was at home watching TV when he heard a noise at the front door, and moments later the door flew open and he was face to face with an intruder.  Without having to leave his chair, he raised the .357 and fired once, hitting the scumbag in the chest, and then called 911.  In fact, he never left the chair when the cops showed up, and after determining that he was a cripple at home who shot the guy who forced open the front door with a crowbar, the cops just collected the body and left.

I also like pistols because I can answer the door with one in hand.  If I'm not expecting anyone, I'll hold the gun in my right hand just behind the door frame out of view and open the door with my left.  If the visitor is hostile or tries to push their way into my house, I'm already holding a gun in my hand and can immediately open fire.  But if it's some kid selling candy or a Jehovah's Witness, I can tell them to piss off and they never see the gun.  Do that with a shotgun and you'll be arrested for brandishing or ADW.

So rethink your home protection plan and pick up a cheap, used revolver and throw it in a drawer or keep it with you as you move from room to room.

+1

LMAOat your friend with polio.  I can picture him drinking a beer and eating chips while watching TV waiting for the cops.  All the while Mr. Scumbag is rapidly assuming room temperature.

The only time I've felt like a break in was imminent, was on a Sat morn when some dickhead collecting donations for veterans was beating hell out ot of the front door.  My wife woke up scared, which put me in defcon 1.  Grabbed the S&W pistol I keep handy for those moments, tucked it mexican carry in the small of the back of my jeans and looked through the side glass.

I opened the door a crack with my left hand, while the right hand was on the grip all the time.  I asked this guy what he wanted and he said he was here to collect the clothes.  I said I don't know WTF you're talking about, you better leave.  He started to say something I and cut him off by saying: if you don't leave now you're going to be in a world of hurt, letting him see where my right arm was going to.

He got the point.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I do believe the sound of a shotgun's action can deter a criminal.  His intent was to steal some stuff, not die.

I keep the firearms I use for personal and home defense loaded and chambered, with the exception of my shotty.....which is loaded and not chambered.  Even dumbfuck criminals "speak shotgun."  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#36]

I heard when you rack a shotgun, all criminally minded folk in a ten block radius turn and flee in terror!

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
+1

LMAOat your friend with polio.  I can picture him drinking a beer and eating chips while watching TV waiting for the cops.  All the while Mr. Scumbag is rapidly assuming room temperature.

The only time I've felt like a break in was imminent, was on a Sat morn when some dickhead collecting donations for veterans was beating hell out ot of the front door.  My wife woke up scared, which put me in defcon 1.  Grabbed the S&W pistol I keep handy for those moments, tucked it mexican carry in the small of the back of my jeans and looked through the side glass.

I opened the door a crack with my left hand, while the right hand was on the grip all the time.  I asked this guy what he wanted and he said he was here to collect the clothes.  I said I don't know WTF you're talking about, you better leave.  He started to say something I and cut him off by saying: if you don't leave now you're going to be in a world of hurt, letting him see where my right arm was going to. He got the point.

You realize that you broke the law in threatening someone with a firearm for what was probably a simple misunderstanding or wrong address?  Crap like this is what gives us responsible gun owners a black eye.  Then you write about it in here like you are bragging that you acted in such a reprehensible manner.

Not impressed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ok here is what you do.

You have the shotty in the closet already right? well, you put two  large nails inside the closet above the closet door, wrap them in electrical tape and put your loaded unchambered shotgun on the nails that way you can open, reach, rack, attack! And it is out of the kiddo's reach. Pistols work well here too. Inside the closet above the door does not work for short people.

I've got two munchkins of my own.  I bought two large hooks from Home Depot that are used for hanging stuff in the garage.  They have some sort of yellow rubber coating on them.  The 870 stays there w/ 6 in the tube.   Smaller munchkins can't get to it.  My wife has to stand on her toes to get it.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

I opened the door a crack with my left hand, while the right hand was on the grip all the time.  I asked this guy what he wanted and he said he was here to collect the clothes.  I said I don't know WTF you're talking about, you better leave.  He started to say something I and cut him off by saying: if you don't leave now you're going to be in a world of hurt, letting him see where my right arm was going to. He got the point.

You realize that you broke the law in threatening someone with a firearm for what was probably a simple misunderstanding or wrong address?  Crap like this is what gives us responsible gun owners a black eye.  Then you write about it in here like you are bragging that you acted in such a reprehensible manner.

Not impressed.

I don't care if you're impressed.  You were not there to witness his demeanor.  Legitimate charities don't knock on doors as if they were breaking them down at 6:30 on Saturday morning, not do they argue with a homeowner when told to go away.

Pistol never in view.  Word pistol or shooting never uttered.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Gonna have to give this piece of Creative Writing a B-. Would have been better with a naked chick in it, and without the 'shotgun racking makes perps piss themselves' cliche.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
LMAOat your friend with polio.

Laughing at a guy with polio, eh?

j/k

Quoted:

Not impressed.

Who said he threatened him with a firearm? Was a firearm drawn? Was a firearm shown? Was a firearm brandished? No. He just told a jackass beating on his door early in the morning to GTFO, and when the guy gave him static he told him he was going to be in a world of hurt.

Not impressed with your reading comprehension skills.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

Not impressed.

I don't care if you're impressed.  You were not there to witness his demeanor.  Legitimate charities don't knock on doors as if they were breaking them down at 6:30 on Saturday morning, not do they argue with a homeowner when told to go away.

Pistol never in view.  Word pistol or shooting never uttered.  

Ah, now the details come out.  All we as the reader have to go on are the words that you originally typed.  Your initial post does not indicate "arguing", "banging" on a door is subjective, and the last statement about "letting him see where my right arm was going" to can be interpreted in no other way than making him aware that you had a gun.  In other words, "leave or I will shoot you".

If he was indeed "beating your door down" and "arguing" then you certainly have every right to get upset with him and ask him forcefully to leave.  If he refuses, call the cops.  If he enters your home forcefully, THEN you produce/use your firearm if necessary to protect you and yours.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Who said he threatened him with a firearm? Was a firearm drawn? Was a firearm shown? Was a firearm brandished? No. He just told a jackass beating on his door early in the morning to GTFO, and when the guy gave him static he told him he was going to be in a world of hurt.

"I and cut him off by saying: if you don't leave now you're going to be in a world of hurt, letting him see where my right arm was going to. He got the point."

In this statement, what is "the point" that the visitor was supposed to get then professor?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I and cut him off by saying: if you don't leave now you're going to be in a world of hurt, letting him see where my right arm was going to. He got the point."

In this statement, what is "the point" that the visitor was supposed to get then professor?

What I did does not even come close to meeting the standard of a threat, or battery, or brandishing, or anything else.  I know what I can and cannot do according to the laws where I live.

Whatever point he "got" is of no concern to me.  He took a step back and beat feet.  That's ALL I care about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top