Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 3:41:57 PM EDT
Shouldered vehicle causes stir

Brimfield- A pimped-out Buick sporting a reproduction sailboat on it's roof caused a miles-long backup on I-390 just as rush hour began.

William B. Jefferson, a millworker in the Leeds district, created quite a scene when he drove his vehicle onto the highway just outside the city limits, then, for reasons only known by him, pulled over and got out of his car.

"It was the strangest thing I've ever seen," said Julian Webster, an accountant on her way home from nearby Shasta. "There was his car, just sitting there, with him standing in the grass."

Deputies from the highway patrol had a difficult time getting to the head of the traffic jam and at one point even had to use the shoulder.

A spokes man for the department, Ricardo Chaves, said it could have been worse. "There's no way we could have known what his problem was. Our deputies had their hands tied. On the one hand, Mr. Jefferson hadn't broken any laws, on the other hand, he was trying to climb nearby trees. If there ever was a more bizarre incident on this stretch of road, I'm not aware of it."

Jefferson was briefly detained once a supervisor arrived by helicopter but was released shortly after.

This is the third incident involving vehicles on I-390 within the limits of Brimfield. Last June, an elderly man was arrested for vagrancy when his motorized cart was pulled over by the highway patrol. Also, in November of 2004, two minors were cited for driving without adult supervision. They were issued tickets and a summons to appear.

Jeff Miller contributed to this story.

Link
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]

A spokes man for the department, Ricardo Chaves, said it could have been worse. "There's no way we could have known what his problem was. Our deputies had their hands tied. On the one hand, Mr. Jefferson hadn't broken any laws, on the other hand, he was trying to climb nearby trees. If there ever was a more bizarre incident on this stretch of road, I'm not aware of it."

What about "creating a traffic hazard"...?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, what a load of shit... my friend once got pulled over while we were driving his dad's brand new car down the freeway doing 50MPH because it said not to go over 50 during the first few hundred miles.  The officer told us to GTFO the freeway because semi-trucks were blasting by us left and right (mostly left).
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where does the Black man part come in?

The article doesnt mention his race.

How about

MAN stops car on freeway, causes scene

I dont see where him being black (if he was) has anything to do with it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where does the Black man part come in?

The article doesnt mention his race.

How about

MAN stops car on freeway, causes scene

I dont see where him being black (if he was) has anything to do with it.

Pehaps it was because he was a victim of White racism.

It's an epidemic.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

by pulling off the road? the only hazard was being caused by the rubber neckers. you'd think they'd never passed a car on the side of the road before. So he was climbing trees too. BFD not something to warrant being a dumb ass rubber necker over
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think the "crime" is something more along the lines of "doing something odd and different that we don't have a law for... yet".  After this incident I'm sure some noble "servant of the people" will have one drafted.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Wobblin-Goblin is so...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.star.le.ac.uk/~eh54/mugatu.jpg

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

LOL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top