Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 12:34:00 PM EDT
I finally found a job as a nanny.  I'll be taking care of a 10 month old little girl 50 hours a week.  The pay is great too.  I'll be getting $500 a week....the job is also only about 15 minutes from our apartment.

I start on the 29th and can't wait.

Until then, I'm babysitting and working with a friend.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear.........

but..........

$10 an hour seems pretty lean now days.   Are you in NOVA?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Good to hear.........

but..........

Yes....but the going rate for a nanny is about 450-500 a week.

Plus, most of my paycheck will be going into savings.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
But, did you save a ton of money by switching your car insurance to GEICO?

ETA congrats on the job
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
10 dollars an hour can be great money. it depends upon whether or not you like what you are doing. sounds as if loop is happy about it, so i say it is good money. 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope you enjoy it! 'Tis good tidings.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol MrPink...I don't need to switch...I already have GEICO.  

And yes...this is something I love to do.  If I could, I would spend all my time around children for free.  They are a passion of mine.  And considering I want to open my own daycare, it's great experience to be a nanny first.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
congrats, and about time ....welcome to my world of long hours, but atleast your not in the sun all day like me
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT TREAT YOU LIKE A LIVE-IN NANNY.

I have been there, and done that.  A 9-month-old and a 2-year-old.  Lousy pay (which is not your case), and the kids started calling me mom.  And the whole time, she hardly left the house.  She would sit upstairs on her fat ass and do nothing while her husband worked three jobs.  And they still wanted me to work 6 days a week.

Other than that, good to hear.  Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Great news! Extremely w00t worthy!!!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have been there, and done that.  A 9-month-old and a 2-year-old.  Lousy pay (which is not your case), and the kids started calling me mom.  And the whole time, she hardly left the house.  She would sit upstairs on her fat ass and do nothing while her husband worked three jobs.  And they still wanted me to work 6 days a week.

Well, the mother will be home...but she runs a business out of her home...so she is always in meetings and running out of the house for stuff.  I am going to meet their current nanny sometime before I start working.  So I'll be able to find out from her what it's like working with them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Good job, my girlfriend does that. She watches 2 kids in our house and makes more money than I do in 3 days than I make in 5. I agree with Gabby though, watch out it can get hairy! If you got any questions about it IM me and I'll get you in touch with her. Watching little kids is freaking frusterating. I'd rather watch paint dry than watch kids.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Good job, my girlfriend does that. She watches 2 kids in our house and makes more money than I do in 3 days than I make in 5. I agree with Gabby though, watch out it can get hairy! If you got any questions about it IM me and I'll get you in touch with her. Watching little kids is freaking frusterating. I'd rather watch paint dry than watch kids.

Thanks...I love working with children and have been working with them for sometime.  But I will definitely keep you in mind if I have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Very good!  I pay my nanny a lot less, during school time she arrives at 0730 and pick my girls up and takes them to school.  She picks them up after school and brings them home and then she does light cleaning, mostly just picking up and making sure the beds are made and I arrive home at around 5:00.  I pay her $200 a week and during the summer she stays the whole day for the same pay.  She gets a paid vacation, bonuses at Christmas and her birthday.  She's been with us 7 years and has never, not once called out sick.

Also if she told me tomorrow that she wanted a raise.......she'd get it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#15]
please tell me you're a female.......
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
please tell me you're a female.......

Yes...I'm a female.

Would it be wrong if I were a male?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell I wish I could make $10 and hour without taxes to watch TV and eat snacks will the lil baby sleeps. IT would been funny . IF you sayed:  I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance. Damn someone bet me too it.LOL
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yes...I'm a female.

Would it be wrong if I were a male?

Well your passion of wanting to nanny is something that few, if any straight males have.....Good on you and congratulations.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good to hear.........

but..........

Well $10 CASH is equal to about $13 per hour in a paycheck.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good to hear.........

but..........

Well $10 CASH is equal to about $13 per hour in a paycheck.  

I'm getting 500 a week before taxes...but it's still better than what i would have gotten if i went with any of the other jobs....plus i get two weeks paid vacation and paid holidays and 5 sick days.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats

You bringing everyone out for drinks ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, the mother will be home...but she runs a business out of her home...so she is always in meetings and running out of the house for stuff.  I am going to meet their current nanny sometime before I start working.  So I'll be able to find out from her what it's like working with them.

Good deal.  Already sounds like a completely different situation than what I went through.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Congratulations on your new job.
Is a new Avatar in order?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I finally found a job as a nanny.  I'll be taking care of a 10 month old little girl 50 hours a week.  The pay is great too.  I'll be getting $500 a week....the job is also only about 15 minutes from our apartment.

I start on the 29th and can't wait.

Until then, I'm babysitting and working with a friend.

You will be moving on up if they like you.  I know a nanny that started ouot low, in daycare.  She then had a mid-level client but is now currently taking care of a very famous person's children.  

You know what you are getting into...I can see it now, in 14 months, you will be coming here for therapy...but if she bonds to you, it should ease the seperation anxiety when either parent leaves for work.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder...

I just WONDER....

Let us know, OK?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top