Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 12:25:53 PM EDT
I walked into two local flag shops to buy a single 3'x5' USMC nylon flag for my stoop. My old one is faded and I want a new one.

1st shop: $46.99 + 6% Sales tax= $49.81

2nd Shop: $44.99 +6% Sales tax= $47.69

Internet (ebay, buy it now): $9.99 +4.99 shipping= $14.98

I ordered the flag, it will be here in two days.

How much (%) are you willing to pay before looking to the internet? Avg price for those two was $48.75, I saved $33.77 going through the web.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Same quality?  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll pay a little more for the ease of the net, CHET!

Plus, I'd rather pay UPS some money than Sales tax to some corrupt tyrannical government entity!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the dollar values, my allegiance to brick and mortar is low... Mind you one-of-a-kind shops or Mom-and-Pop shops still have a warm place in my heart... but if I can beat a big chain's price by going online I'll do it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Same quality?  

Same everything. 3x5, double stiched, nylon, single sided.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I use to do everything I could to support local businesses, until I realized that many of these local businesses were also selling over the net.

So, if you know who you're doing business with, buying over the internet could be supporting a mom and pop type retailer in a small town on the other side of the country.  And I'd much rather do that than buy at Wal-Mart.

If I expect that I will need service for products, I try to stay local.  But that's only out of the convenience of returns, repairs, etc.  I buy all my bikes locally and have been going to one shop for 15 years.  I get preferred service and prices there, which is my reward for being a long time customer.

So I'd say it really depends.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I buy almost everything locally unless its a specific item on the net that I can't get locally.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Plus, I'd rather pay UPS some money than Sales tax to some corrupt tyrannical government entity!

Bingo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Same quality?  

USA -vs- Chinese?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Same quality?  

USA -vs- Chinese?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And more states are requiring that you pay the sales tax on net purchases, so that rationale isn't going to fly for long.I suspect that the only time anyones gonna get nailed on that will be in audits, though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I sometimes worry about local FFL's closing shop because they can't keep up with internet sales.  This would have a catch-22 effect, because you can't buy firearms over the internet without having an FFL in your state to receive and transfer them.  At the same time, you can't have an FFL in many areas unless you maintain a permanent place of business, which you can't have unless you can sell enough stuff to stay afloat.

The rules governing FFL licences and how they conduct transfers will need to change to adapt to the change from brick and mortar to internet sales, or else it will become harder and harder to purchase firearms.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Same quality?  

USA -vs- Chinese?

He's got a point.  Most of the cheap flags (even the embroidered stars and stitched stripe ones) are made in red fucking china.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top