Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 10:55:08 AM EDT
I noticed a picture on a billboard recently. I understand it is a replica of the scimtar the brother of the Pashtun of Tripoli gave as a present to the Marines in the early 1800's--but he was muslim, not Jewish.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTZCW

In before the Zionist conspiracy whackos.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
That it is not the Star of David.  It is the Star of Damascus, the symbol of world renowned steel and sword craftsmen.  These craftsmen used two triangles joined together as a sign of their sword making guild which became know as the Star of Damascus.  This symbol means the sword was fashioned with Damascus steel and over 1,000 years of craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]
So when we ram them through jihadis' guts, the Magen David will be the last thing they see.

[It's on my NCO sword, as well]

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That it is not the Star of David.  It is the Star of Damascus, the symbol of world renowned steel and sword craftsmen.  These craftsmen used two triangles joined together as a sign of their sword making guild which became know as the Star of Damascus.  This symbol means the sword was fashioned with Damascus steel and over 1,000 years of craftsmanship.

Pics of the two?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And it's got the word 'Proved' inside it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So when we ram them through jihadis' guts, the Magen David will be the last thing they see.

[It's on my NCO sword, as well]

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Seal of Solomon, it was a sign of miracles and magic in Islam culture.

Seal of Solomon ???? ??????

The Seal of Solomon was associted with Solomon, son of David. He is seen in Islam as a prophet, as well as a great miracle maker.

However, in folklore, legends of his miracles took mythical dimensions, with a ring of his that had the "The Greatest Name of God" on it, unknown to anyone else. With it, unimaginable feats can be done. It is mentioned in the Arabian Nights, for example in the Fisherman and the Jinni story, and the Eldest Lady's Tale. It was believed by the superstituous to be a talisman ???? with magical and healing qualities.

As a result, the Seal of Solomon was used by Muslims from India to Spain to adorn and decorate the bottom of drinking vessels, coins issued by various dynasties, decorations on mosques and other buildings, and elsewhere. Click on the images on the side to see a larger version.

Several religious and quasi-medical manuscripts show the hexagram in relation to incantations for healing and warding off evil.

For example, the so called Libros Plumbeos, or the Leaden Books, found in the Sacromonte hill in Granada in the 16th century, show the hexagram among writings about the Virgin Mary, Jesus, and some of his disciples. A Morisco Muslim, Ahmad Ibn Qasim al-Hajari writes about them in the first half of the 17th century as if they are Muslim symbols.

In Europe, the symbol also took a non-Jewish character, as can be seen in  this collection of building
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
It ensures that the sword is strong enough to cut teh wedding cake, and slap the asses of many a new wives....

...at least that is what my fathers USMC officers saber has done...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

that's as good an explanation as i need! hahahahaha

actually, not even the corps is 100% certain. the star of damascus is one explanation and i've also heard this was a sutlers mark from way back when that just carried over into modern mythology...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...and slap the asses of many a new wives...

there's a trivia question for ya!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Because they couldn't put the Masonic symbol on it, without creating a firestorm.
I know, my bad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine says "The key lies with Charlotte", does that mean anything ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...a grand tradition!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

LOL.

Pretty good movie... sort of like the goonies meets indiana jones with a hottie thrown in for good measure.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That is the explanation that is taught to us Marines.  It is also my understanding (although I could be wrong) is that the symbol is associated with zionism, not judaism per se.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#18]
It is on my Navy officer's sword as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

Pretty good movie... sort of like the goonies meets indiana jones with a hottie thrown in for good measure.

She was awefully attractive, wasn't she.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Good one!

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#22]
You may find that the symbol is a manufacturing mark that has carried out into modern usage.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I just checked on my cavalry sabre, and it's on that too.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You may find that the symbol is a manufacturing mark that has carried out into modern usage.  

BINGO we have a winnah. (At the risk of being called a dupe nazi) this topic came up a while ago and the symbol originated with the blade makers in Toledo, SPAIN amd alledgedly you are supposed to be able to bring the tip back to that point with out breaking or permanently bending the blade.

YMMV

That said my Naval Officers Sword (and every one I've ever seen ) and several US Army and Army design swords in the family have them.

Although superimposed triangles, they are not a Star of David  per se.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Why? I'll tell ya why.

Them Jews are smart people, really sharp. Get it? Sharp?

Ha.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#26]
The Star of David only became considered a Jewish symbol in the last 100 years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...a grand tradition!

+1.  I have been to several Marine weddings,  Lovely tradition, except when some lets it slip and the bride knows its coming.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#28]
George Washington supposedly wanted a six point star for our flag but was talked out of it.

Imagine how the Arabs would feel about us then?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#29]
ok, just to muddy the waters a little more...one of the explanations is that this was a sutlers mark from the colonial era. sutlers provided supplies to the military and most of them were jewish. the marcor contracted to a sutler and the star of david was put on the blade by the sutler as kind of a makers mark.

i'm almost positive this is one of the explanations provided by the marcor historical division.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top