Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 8:01:23 AM EDT
Anyone doing really well? Im interested in knowing what you all are investing in and how have been your returns.

Im not a day trader, but I keep my investments rotating.

All you experiences very much appreciated.

Marco
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I do, but haven't been for very long and don't have a whole lot of money in them.  I highly reccommend listening to Jim Cramer's radio show for great information.  He has a website at www.thestreet.com.  You can get radio show recaps there or listen to streaming web broadcasts.

I just bought Intel and PowerWave (PWAV).

I'm also in a few mutual funds (Roth IRA) through Fidelity.  One is a Canadian stock fund which is doing pretty well since I got in (about 20% in a year).

I'm no expert, but that's my story.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like there 's a lot of good information there. Thanks for the link. 20% on an Roth IRA is great. Im more impatient and prefer to move my investment rather than set on them at this time.

Keep them coming. So everyone can learn.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I invested heavily in tech stock 3 years ago.    Currently I have lost 30%.  

I did also but a bunch in gold 5 years ago and earned 100%  

For the last two years I have just been doing IRA contributions.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I pursue risky stocks from $1 to $20, especially those that tend to a lot of volatility.

Blue chips with very slow increases and a large market share don't impress me.

Frontier Airlines (FRNT) has been very good to me, since it rises and falls a lot based on oil prices.

Sportsman's Guide (SGDE), they have very wierd management, but they rise & fall seasonally very well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have boring DuPont stocks. I've been holding them for a while and will probably have them for a long time to come.  They haven't gained in value much, but the quarterly dividends are nice.

Besides that, I don't have enough extra money to throw around to invest (besides my 401k).
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought Ford when it was beat down to $9 a share.

I own Harley, Coke and a few others.  I am not expecting to make a whole bunch of money, I have my retirement money in mutual funds.

G
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Only through my 401-K mutual funds.  I've been gaining every quarter for the last couple of years, not necessarily in every one of my funds, but overall.  No details on the individual stocks though. I'd have to dig out the prospectuses...prospectii...prospecta -- um, whatever the plural is on that....

I'd definitely recommend a good mutual fund over individual stocks, as long as you watch the fine print for front and back-end fees.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the grow-it-slow category.  It was generally above the 15% mark overall, but after these past few years when a couple of investments took a good hit, it's dipped to 8% (including all investments, fees, commissions, etc.).   But I've continued investing, so I'm hopeful that my dollar-cost-averaging over the past few years does well in the coming years.

And only some of it is in stocks, a good portion is in funds.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Index or Life Cycle funds for me. I like to keep it simple.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I have stock in the Harley Davidson Motorcycle Company (HDI).  

I've invested approx. $500.00, total since 1989.  I cashed in enough stock to purchase my new ($26,000.00) truck, Cash.  Harley Davidson has been very very good to me.  

I had stock in Custom Chrome Industries (motorcycle parts manufacturer).  Sold it for what I paid.  Had stock in Excelsior Henderson Motorcycles.  I sold that for what I paid.  

I still have some Harley Davidson Stock and am holding on to what I have.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow. Ive been pretty conservative in my diagnosis of my investments. This has lead to fair and relatively consistant returns.

I hear situations like Colts SBR's, and I get very tempted to take more risks. Wish I had been more involved at the time he made his investments in Harley. Hell, they're a 20 minute drive from me.

Do most of you guys invest through an investment firm or personally. I wanted to invest a huge load into Premcor, knowing Valero was going to buy them out. I wanted to purchase a volume back in February when they were in the mid 50's. Yeesh, had I disregarded my advisors thoughts against it

Note: today in the 80's
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you making money?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Vltor and a Magpul. Sure felt like an investment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Heavily in stocks and stock funds.  Making some money.  I am a Bob Brinker follower and have a diversified portfolio.  Not up much in the past year, but following Mr. Brinker's advice I invested my stock market reserve cash in mid-March 2003 - that was a nice ride.  In case you are wondering, his previous sell signal was January 2000 - that signal was to shift to a 65% cash position with 25% in total stock market index and 10% in international stock funds.

He has a weekly radio program and publishes a monthly newsletter with model portfolios.  Site is www.bobbrinker.com
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife bought me 10 shares in 1989 through a broker for Christmas (I only wanted the stock certificate).  The 10 split into 20.  We bought another 10 shares and the 30 split for a total of 60.  

Then we got into the direct re-investment plan.  You have the option to get your dividends or have them buy more stock directly from Harley's broker.  They charge a very small amount to do the paperwork.  Direct re-investment is the way to go.  Nothing like broker fees.  

The stock continued to grow with splits and direct re-investments.  I purchased stock directly through Harley using the same plan.  The total of our investments was approx. $500.00.  

Yes, it made money (hand over fist).  

I bought a new 2001 Chevy in 2001and the extended warranty.  No money out of pocket.  Got a five year loan.  Every year I cashed in enough stock to pay the year's loan payments.  I put it into the bank and it made a little money in the bank.  The bank took the monthly payments out of my account every month and I only had to make sure the money was there each year.  That way, the remaining stock continued to make money and split.  I paid the loan off one year early.  I got a free truck from Harley Davidson.  

I still have about $6,000.00 worth of Harley stock.  

I got the idea from a friend of mine that did the same thing and bought two new Harley Davidsons using Harley's money.  He had a lot more stock than I had.  He bought the first Harley and rode it until he wanted to trade.  He traded the first in and paid off the second the same way.  He got two free Harleys from Harley Davidson.  

Harley stock hasn't split for a few years.  It continues to make dividends that buy us more stock.  We can still send money to buy stock directly from Harley.  I’ve been a Harley rider for a long time.  

If Harley goes belly up tomorrow (I don't think it will) I got my money's worth, Plus.  I wish every thing I invested in did half as good.  

Look around.  Some stocks allow you to buy directly from the company and sign up for the direst re-investment plan.  No brokers and no broker’s fees.  

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to tell you my experience.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Heavily in stocks and stock funds.  Making some money.  I am a Bob Brinker follower and have a diversified portfolio.  Not up much in the past year, but following Mr. Brinker's advice I invested my stock market reserve cash in mid-March 2003 - that was a nice ride.  In case you are wondering, his previous sell signal was January 2000 - that signal was to shift to a 65% cash position with 25% in total stock market index and 10% in international stock funds.

He has a weekly radio program and publishes a monthly newsletter with model portfolios.  Site is www.bobbrinker.com

Thank you H46Driver(and others) thats what Im looking for. The inner experience youve had is/are the cues Im looking for.

Id love every/anyone here to learn of the investment potential in stocks. Very cool. Keep the info coming!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I do, but haven't been for very long and don't have a whole lot of money in them.  I highly reccommend listening to Jim Cramer's radio show for great information.  He has a website at www.thestreet.com.

No, Jim Cramer is god-awful.  Kept talking up the stock market as it tanked and tanked and tanked 2000-2002
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
btt
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Two Magpul M93A's, A2 stock, and A1 stock............this IS Arfcom general discussion right??????? THANKS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]
  Go into natural gas or petrolium. Bought WFR at $8. a share and am doing pretty well. Shit look at these gas prices, I thought it was a war for oil!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]
hehe yo dropzone your right on that!. Made a little on Marathon. Going back
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do, but haven't been for very long and don't have a whole lot of money in them.  I highly reccommend listening to Jim Cramer's radio show for great information.  He has a website at www.thestreet.com.

No, Jim Cramer is god-awful.  Kept talking up the stock market as it tanked and tanked and tanked 2000-2002

I agree.  Can be entertaining to listen to at first, but I haven't been impressed with his recommendations the couple times that I have listened to him.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you happen to know someone or something special, diversify, otherwise known as hedging your bets.

Modern markets are built and execute on the perfect information principle. Just because you read it on an internet chat room doesn't make you special.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Jim Cramer is a money loser. He is on CNBC because thats the only way he can make money. His website is crap. rehashed garbage from elsewhere. Beware.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top