Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 11:54:26 PM EDT
Does anyone know anything about tent trailers? Are they worth buying, or should I look for a "regular" trailer? Any special problem areas I should be aware of if I go look at one. I found one for a great price, I'm assuming it isn't in the greatest shape since the price is so cheap. I figure for the price they are asking I can take a chance on it. It is an older model, but I'm really just looking for a decent little hunting and camping rig, don't need anything too extravagant.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the ones I've seen that were older and at a great price needed new canvas and that can be pretty spendy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most of the ones I've seen that were older and at a great price needed new canvas and that can be pretty spendy.

a buddy of mine bought one and it needed new canvas. He bought it to a place that fixes these things and they wanted a boat load of money to replace it.
A friend of his recommended the Amish or Menonites can't remember which and they replaced it with his supplied canvas for less than half the price. Still going good after 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Just come down south a bit and get my camper, it's free to a good home ;)   Assuming you've got a 1ton or better it'll be fine
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Pop up's commonly have problems with the cable system that raises them. The cables can snap or get off track or the pulley.  Be very careful what you buy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen one that didn't leak and have a mildew problem.  I would avoid them.

Stick with a conventional travel trailer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]
gots a pop-up (trailer)  it seems to work fine- way better than a tent.  The cable can break, but are replaceable.  check the canvas.  mine was fine, b ut faded and I bought a gallon of waterproofer and coated it all again.  I dont trust the "heater" in it but would have a CO detector in thre with me if i ever decided to run it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a regular trailer. If you are gonna use it alot get one with a slide out. If you are gonna camp in the winter get heated holding tanks. I have a 33' travel trailer with a 12' slide, it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a Viking pop up camper that I bought new WAY back in the day...around '75.  I took it everywhere, and probably used it 200 times before I finally got rid of it.  In all of that time, the *only* problem I had was running out of LP gas one particularly cold winter night.  In short, I had *no* problems whatsoever with mine.  The crank system that Viking used was a little different than some manufacturers, but whatever it was, it worked like a charm.

The beauty of a pop up is the price, AND you don't need a main battle tank to haul it around...I had a '76 Monte Carlo and a '78 Dodge Magnum (the original..it did NOT have a hemi lol).  A class one hitch, (depending on the weight of the trailer),  and you're ready to go.  No fuss, no muss.

Buy a name brand camper like Coleman, from a reputable dealer, and you will more than likely have 0 problems with it.  There is some periodic maintainance, and you don't want to leave it completely exposed to the elements for years w/o using it...if you have a car port or something like  that, it's better over the long term.

I had a blast with mine...from the mountains to the beaches, all over the place...much fun was had by all.  I looked at some Colemans a couple of years ago, and they were pretty cool.  

If you can afford it, GET AIR CONDITIONING!!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#9]
growing up my dad had a popup with the roof supports on the outside so no cables to be used. slept 8 if needed and a a heater for those cold nights he must have used the thing for good 15 to 20 years. better than my grandfathers old coleman popup all it did was sleep 4 period nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Just bought my pop up and have had a couple in the past. Paid 800 bucks for it. It has a lift kit so it runs on 14 inch tires this is a good thing. Had to buy a new AC right off the bat 600 bucks on Ebay. Canvas is good for another year or so and the cheapest replacement I can find will be 700 bucks. So for less than 2 grand I got a great pop up easy to store, easy to tow and we use the heck out of it. I love it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just come down south a bit and get my camper, it's free to a good home ;)   Assuming you've got a 1ton or better it'll be fine

Sounds a little bit bigger than what I am looking for.

Looks like I just got beat, someone else got it before me. It was $50.....I figured it was worth that, and if it was total junk I could turn it into a utility trailer

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The better ones are great for what they are.  As long as you aren't expecting a 28 ft Airsteream experience, you should be happy.  Your room for  price and weight generally knocks the socks off hard sides.  That said they aren't great for weather extremes.  Air conditioning or heating an un-insulated tent is not usually cost effective but it can take the edges off if you have hook-ups.  

Treat them right and they will treat you right.  They  will go more places than bigger trailers with a smaller tow vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top