Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:53:08 PM EDT
What is the origin of this, What is the english translation and why are we speaking french?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
?????????????????????????????????

Text from site..

Two little words. With these two words, two concepts were verbalized that have lived for nearly two and a half Millennia. They signify and characterize both the heart of the Warrior, and the indomitable spirit of mankind. From the ancient Greek, they are the reply of the Spartan General-King Leonidas to Xerxes, the Persian Emperor who came with 600,000 of the fiercest fighting troops in the world to conquer and invade little Greece, then the center and birthplace of civilization as we know it. When Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, his 300 personal bodyguards and a handful of Thebans and others who volunteered to defend their country, if they would lay down their arms, Leonidas shouted these two words back.  
Molon Labe! (mo-lone lah-veh)

They mean, “Come and get them!” They live on today as the most notable quote in military history. And so began the classic example of courage and valor in its dismissal of overwhelming superiority of numbers, wherein the heart and spirit of brave men overcame insuperable odds. Today, there lies a plaque dedicated to these heroes all at the site. It reads: “Go tell the Spartans, travelers passing by, that here, obedient to their laws we lie.”

We have adopted this defiant utterance as a battle cry in our war against oppression because it says so clearly and simply towards those who would take our arms.

It signifies our determination to not strike the first blow, but also to not stand mute and allow our loved ones, and all that we believe in and stand for, to be trampled by men who would deprive us of our God-given – or natural, if you will – rights to suit their own ends.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Attributed to the Spartans at Thermopalyae, when the Persians told them to throw down their arms and surrender, they Spartans said "COME AND GET THEM!"

Also, if you read the excellent book Gates of Fire, the Persian army told the Greeks they would block out the sun with arrows.  One of the Greek commanders said, "Good, then we'll fight in the shade."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
French?

What are our public schools teaching 7th graders these days?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
French?

What are our public schools teaching 7th graders these days?

lol
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the origin of this, What is the english translation and why are we speaking french?

Sheesh, at least put some effort into it.
Google is your friend.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That's kick ass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheesh, at least put some effort into it.
Google is your friend.

ARFCOM hive mind is easier!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The Greeks were told that they would be allowed to live if they would just lay down their arms and surrender. They were outnumbered by about a million Persians (Iraqis) against 300 Spartans, but the Spartans also had a geographical advantage.

They said "come and get them" instead of living in disgrace.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The new meaning is "I'm here to fill out my California DOJ paperwork!"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Attributed to the Spartans at Thermopalyae, when the Persians told them to throw down their arms and surrender, they Spartans said "COME AND GET THEM!"

Also, if you read the excellent book Gates of Fire, the Persian army told the Greeks they would block out the sun with arrows.  One of the Greek commanders said, "Good, then we'll fight in the shade."

+1

The statement:  'Come and take them' is attributed to Leonidas, one of the Spartan kings (they had two dynastic lines, due to twins a few generations back).  The statement about fighting in the shade is attributed to a Spartan officer named Dienekes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Greeks were told that they would be allowed to live if they would just lay down their arms and surrender. They were outnumbered by about a million Persians (Iraqis Iranians) against 300 Spartans, but the Spartans also had a geographical advantage.

There was also a couple thousand allied troops with the Spartans.  Modern day Persians are IRANIANS, not Iraqis.  Iraqis are mostly arabic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Read Herodotus, "The Persian Wars."  You'll learn about Spartan King Leonidas and the death of 299 hoplites of his Royal Bodyguard.  One was blinded and was allowed to leave.  Nonetheless, he was disgraced and attempted to die in combat and fought so valiantly that he redeemed himself.  Read the book yourself.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Greeks were told that they would be allowed to live if they would just lay down their arms and surrender. They were outnumbered by about a million Persians (Iraqis Iranians) against 300 Spartans, but the Spartans also had a geographical advantage.

There was also a couple thousand allied troops with the Spartans.  Modern day Persians are IRANIANS, not Iraqis.  Iraqis are mostly arabic.

+1

Funny anecdote:

In my town, there was a couple of Iranian brothers, who had a Persian rug store...this was the late 70's. The brothers were nuts; one of their things was getting drunk, starting to argue with each other, and then spilling out into the main road shouting at each other in Farsi while trying to drunken brawl with each other. I hear it was quite the rage to sit back, watch, and start betting on the outcome. (And they were about as pro-American as can be...they loved it here. Apparently they couldn't get into a drunken fight with each other in the middle of the street back home in Iran.)

Anyway...so Carter's in, and then the Shah falls, and the hostages get taken. Tempers flare in the town (we're right next to West Point), and a town hall meeting is called.

There's a lot of anti-Iranian setiment to be had here, and one guy shouts "LET'S LYNCH THE BROTHERS!"

Another guy shouts out "NAH...THEY'RE PERSIAN!"

Everyone nods and things simmer down, and those two get left alone.

Funniest damn thing I ever heard. (My mom told me the story; she was at the town hall meeting.)

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and a town hall meeting is called.

There's a lot of anti-Iranian setiment to be had here, and one guy shouts "LET'S LYNCH THE BROTHERS!"

Funniest damn thing I ever heard. (My mom told me the story; she was at the town hall meeting.)

where in the hell did you live? A real live lynching?  Wow.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

melon label.  head label.  a forehead tatoo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Try GOOGLE next time.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and a town hall meeting is called.

where in the hell did you live? A real live lynching?  Wow.

Not real, more as in "let's beat the crap out of them"...I think a real lynching would have been problematic

This was in "upstate" NY...about an hour from the NYC city limits. Google West Point; we're right next door.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I stand chastised
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No it's redneck speak for "I'm a fat white dude with a shit-load of guns.  And if some Jack boot thugs try to come and take my guns I'm gonna kill as many as I can...  that is, if I don't lose my breath getting out of the recliner first."

~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I stand chastised

Google 1st - avoid the public humiliation.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Penned by Neopolian Bonaparte when he created the textile industries in France.  His main line was white flag manufacturing, it means "Drink wine, eat cheese."
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:38:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anyway...so Carter's in, and then the Shah falls, and the hostages get taken. Tempers flare in the town (we're right next to West Point), and a town hall meeting is called.

That is freakin' hilarious!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:31:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Your web-foo is weak.

Google damn it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:48:49 AM EDT
[#26]
It's a French feminine hygiene product
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:54:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

melon label.  head label.  a forehead tatoo.

it's mole-on-labia, a vaginal skin discoloration...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it's redneck speak for "I'm a fat white dude with a shit-load of guns.  And if some Jack boot thugs try to come and take my guns I'm gonna kill as many as I can...  that is, if I don't lose my breath getting out of the recliner first."

~Dg84

Ahhhhh, the voice of experience.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The Greeks were told that they would be allowed to live if they would just lay down their arms and surrender. They were outnumbered by about a million Persians (Iraqis) against 300 Spartans, but the Spartans also had a geographical advantage.

Ahh - no.
Persia is today's Iran.
Persians and Arabs are two TOTALLY different ethnic groups.

Saying Persians are Iraqis is like saying Molon Labe is french.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's a French feminine hygiene product

BS...there's no such thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Melon Labia : Greek for "I'd Hit It"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#34]
So what ended up happening to the Spartans?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

ETA, a Delphic prophecy about losing a city or a king and a small naval skirmish also play a role.

The Delphic Prophecy was for the Battle of Salamis, where the Greeks defeated the Persians in a great naval battle.  The prophecy told the Greeks to "trust in their wooden walls."  Themistocles interpreted this to mean to trust in their naval forces.  The Athenians abandoned Athens, it was burned to the ground, but the next day slaughtered the Persian fleet.  Without the fleet to resupply his vast army, Xerxes turned back home to Persia.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

All killed.  It was their Alamo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#37]
all I know is thats its on everyons hats aand clotehs and internet names and signatures and even tattoed on some. It is overly used by many.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

have you learned nothing here?  Google is your friend damnit!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Molon Labe?

It's fancypants big city talk for a woman'z janger...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~Dg84

Ahhhhh, the voice of experience.

guess you haven't been to a gun show lately.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#42]
www.imdb.com/title/tt0055719/

Here's the 1962 movie 300 Spartans.  Watched it as a kid, had to buy the DVD when it came out.  Not 100% accurate, but what movie is.

Brent
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

~Dg84

Oh.  Well I guess I should put one of dem dar stickars on my truck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Oh.  Well I guess I should put one of dem dar stickars on my truck.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yeah sure, a million Persians. Logistically speaking how do you support 1,000,000 soldiers out in the same tactical battlefield? I think a lot of these numbers are greatly exaggerated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

After the Greeks and their allies defeated Xerxes and his minions, they turned on one another and almost 30 years of war followed.  Thucydides wrote about it in "The Peloponnesian War" and it should be read after Herodotus.  Sparta, the land power, eventually prevailed over Athens, a naval power.  Spartan hegemony was short lived and the Thebans under Epiminados (sp) defeated the Spartans at the Battle of Leutra.  Not long after that, the Macedonians came to power and Sparta tried briefly to lead the other Greek city states in an effort to overthrow the northern barbarians.  They lost.  However, Macedonia's reign ended with Alexander and that empire fell into 4 separate states.  An upstart city state called Rome came along and gobbled most of them up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top