Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Broke, married, and starving

6th year college student (still on undergrad )

Only 25 hours till graduation!  Woo Hoo!

Just gotta pass everything.

ETA:  Poor man's dinner

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I'm in this crowd.  When I switched majors I needed a lot of basic courses I hadn't taken yet, so I moved home.  Yes after five years of being out on my own (Air Force, College) I moved home.  Wasn't that big a deal for me cause I've always gotten along with my parents.  I am taking classes at the local community college.  I've taken 9 classes so far and I have gotten an A in every one.  Sure its easy, but an A is an A.  I've decided to stay here this fall and go ahead and get a associates in business.  Plus its cheaper, living at home and no rent, no utilities, no food bills.  Plus I just share liquor with my dad.

My only toys are what most people here would laugh at, but they work for me because I have taken the time to learn what the quirks are on them.  I did (sneak) and buy a used USP 45 for my birthday last year.  I have a Mini-14 I've had since I was in highschool.  I can't justify a new AR so I work with what I have.  Its got an ultimak rail, a cheap BSA red dot (but its held up so far) and a home made rigidity strut (two flash light clamps, carbon steel tube dremeled to fit over the gas block)  It might have MoA on a good day with good ammo, but maintains 1.5 to 2 MoA with green ti surplus.  Thats good enough for me.  I'm also working on modifying an old Remington Model 11 beater (Browning A5 clone) into a Home Defense gun.  Newer mag extensions will fit, I just need to figure out a way to make a clamp for stability (Mod 11 barrel recoils like a howitzer-it moves) so I was thinking of clamping to the barrel and making the clamp part on the mag tube a sleave.

But those mods are all relatively cheap.  My gear doesn't look HSLD but it puts rounds down range just as well as a tricked out AR and its probably more reliable and maintenance free.

I also run my own business part time with truck and trailer mowing lawns.  I make enough money to cover insurance, books and ammo expenses.  My parents help me out with the rest.  My bachelors is going to be in Insurance and Risk Management.  I'm highly thinking of going to law school.

I don't have a woman because I don't have time or money plus I don't put up with shit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
up just incase someone missed out
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Three words: Computer lab job.
Kharn

+1000

Such an easy job and you get plenty of time to study/surf the internet. Add to that no need to commute since I'm already on campus for classes. You can't beat that deal witha stick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Haha. We definitely need a College Dinner Pic threads. Nice cup of Ramen next to a slingshot or some busted up milsurplus rifle.

Now if only I had a camera.

ETA: Also since it seems all the college students are coming to this thread, if anyone near central Flordia wants to get together and scrounge up whatever ammo they have and get out shooting, IM me. Ive only met one person from the forum but he wasnt a student.

So far it looks like 1BMF is the only one around but anyone would be welcome.

i go to school in Gainesville.  You should come check out the UF Pistol and Rifle club.  Not too long of a drive from UCF.  I'm kinda poor right now, but in a month or so  i will be getting my scholarship check, so u know what that means.  Books, who needs books?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
not scraping the bottom of the barrel...quite yet... but i just got another bill for over 800 bucks from my U when i thought it was going to be $200.  The administration apparently likes squeezing the blood out of fucking turnips.  

The good news is, with drill pay and my stipend (tho no GI bill or Army scholarship), bouncing a check is not something i'm concerned about
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Chemical Engineering grad student here. The funny thing is I do well financially. They pay me to go to school since I perform a service for them (research). The truth is there are a lot of opportunities for Americans in engineering grad school since we are a minority. If you play your cards right, you can make almost as much money going for a PhD as if you got a job w/ a BS degree.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Three words: Computer lab job.
I was paid $8.50 an hour (I started at $7.5/hr, got "promoted" after 3mo on the job since I knew Windows and could swap dead hard drives), 15 hours a week, to sit in an engineering computer lab and do my homework or study until a problem came up.  I'd have the problem fixed in 30min and I'd be back to what I was doing.  It only sucked once or twice when my boss came in after dinner to do some major upgrade when I'd been planning to study that evening for a test/quiz the next day.

Kharn

Man I only get paid $5.50. Of course it's not like I do anything that warrants a raise, but still. Other than the once or twice every few hours that somebody needs help, I sit on my ass reading ARFCOM.

+1 for campus jobs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at my new toys!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Honestly dude, I prefer looking at you're shooting partners..  CT girls find guns scary and can't get em to  go to the range with me

Steve
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Its called the Montgomery G.I. Bill Lazy!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I was poor for a while after college and it took about 3 years to start  being able to afford some gun toys.   I had to get a new car on graduation, had to have some good wheels you know.  Starting salaries are the suck, combine with rent and car payment, money was tight.  Now I seem to blow about $1000 on guns or gun gear about every 6 months
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah, life is rough, isn't it? You're paying dues. You'll read this same thread 5 years from now, written by someone else, and chuckle. Ha ha ha.

I'm 11 years out of college and I wish I was back in school.  Yeah I was poor but those were happier times.    College kids, enjoy it while you can!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top