[#1]
I wouldn't floor an outhouse in pergo

go oldschool HW
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hardwood floors and kitchens don't mix very well.  Laminates are well....not my first choice for a kitchen.

Hardwood floors and kitchens mix just fine. When's the last time you had your kitchen floor soaked with water? More likely to have a problem with one in a bathroom due to high humidity and chances for standing water.

I've put plenty of them in, never had problems with any in a kitchen from normal use. Use real oak, for underlayment use roofing tar paper (This helps cut down on squeaks, too). Whether or not you stain it, be sure to coat it with at least two, preferably three, coats of Varathane. This is a polyurethane coating and you will need a respirator to put it on cause the stuff is potent, but it is the best coating I've ever seen for wood floors. My parents have a hardwood floor in their kitchen that's been in place for over 20 years. My dad refinished it once, about 6-7 years ago, but probably won't have to do it again, since there's not as much foot traffic in their house now.

Edit: The only time I did see a problem with one was due to a copper refrigerator water supply line that kinked at the floorboard when the owner connected it to the fridge. Pushed it back against the wall and kinked the line, causing a very slow drip. Due to where it was and how small it was, it didn't leak onto the floor. It leaked down between the floor and wall, under the floor and soaked the wood from the bottom. Within a couple weeks their brand new floor was all warped. They tried to blame the builder for it but it turned out they had to file the claim under their own homeowners policy since they caused the leak. That surely wasn't fun to redo that one, but lucky for us since it wasn't the builders or our fault, a different contractor did the repair for their insurance co. My dad's friend was the builder and we used to do some of the custom wood floors for him. I kinda miss doing that stuff, it was fun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Watching this tread as I plan on moving soon and do not want wall to wall carpet in next place.  I think people are calling all 'laminate' products pergo the way people call all facial tissue Kleenex.  There is some real crap on the market.  I'll have to ask my barber what brand he put in his shop.  I do remember him telling me he submerged a piece in a pan of water for a week and it didn't do a thing to it.  Looks great after several years of commercial traffic.  

ETA:  I'd be curious to know what the 'laminate' was installed on.  I'd think a concrete slab might have moisture problems, and there are some crappy sub floors too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...  I think people are calling all 'laminate' products pergo the way people call all facial tissue Kleenex.  There is some real crap on the market.  ....

I agree.  We just looked at some of the higher end Pergo today, and seems to compare favorably against all other high end laminate flooring.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, as this is not something that I want to make a mistake about.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
When Pergo first came out it was the only product of its type. Now there are dozens of similar laminate floors. The trick, I think, is to find one that is the most water and wear resistant. Ask a salesman and he will try to sell you whatever brand they carry.

Im surprised my question generated this many responses. My wife doesnt want tile. I dont want hardwood. Looks like we will go with a laminate. I will let you know what brand
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top