Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 2:34:15 PM EDT
Ok folks, I'm hitting New Orleans for a night or two with a lady friend of mine. We both enjoy expensive and eclectic food and we're looking for some great places to blow money on great food. Any recommendations? Anything goes... Creole, Cajun, BBQ, Japanese, Indian, Italian, French, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
For breakfast, have Begnets(sp?) and café Ole at Cafe Dumonde in the French Quarter. It has been a long time, but I still remember how great it was.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the best places I have eaten is at 4141 St. Charles.  The last time I was there, it was called Cannon's Restaurant.  

Also, the Rib Room is terrific.  In the Quarter.  Pascal's Manale is good Italian food.

There are so many places, you would be hard pressed to narrow it down to only a few.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Mr. B's in the french quarter is excellent.

ETA - www.mrbsbistro.com/
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
When I visited, I enjoyed the food at Mulate's (sp?).  Great Cajun.

If you want to impress, we finagled our way onto the list at Emeril's.  The food was very good, a little different from everyday for sure.  But the service was excellent.  It's expensive, but I'd go again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Mamas Tasty Foods.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
River's Edge is a virtual unknown but VERY good and very reasonable (right across the street from Cafe Du Monde)

If you are going to be around for a good brunch meal then Brennan's is worth EVERY PENNY.

I also thought Redfish was pretty good.

shooter
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are great. When in doubt, ask ARFCOM. Keep them coming, I'm making a list.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Pierre Gaspeaux's has good basic food.  If you want the cajun food experience, Mulate's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget you need to dance too. Try MudBugs, I had a good time there
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Mr. B's in the french quarter is excellent.

ETA - www.mrbsbistro.com/

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#13]
If you don't go to Petunia's for crepes you will be doing yourself and your missus a disservice. Certainly eclectic but very good.

That said I wasn't exactly blown away by many restaurants in NO. It's kinda like restaurants on the beach....they don't have to be particularly good since they'll get tourist business anyway. ymmv

-Observer
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd have to second the reccomendations for Emeril's Delmonico and Mulate's. Both were very good. I also tried the Court of Two Sisters, but wasn't that impressed. The atmosphere was nice, with the gardens outside, but the food wasn't anything special.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I spend part of my honeymoon in New Orleans...

One day, we started with Brunch (Breakfast) at Brennans (French Quarters), then over to the D-day museum and light lunch nearby the museum, dinner at Commander's Palace (Garden District, ask for the Garden Room), went on a haunted tour in New Orleans, then a late night snack at Cafe De Monte (French Market).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you don't go to Petunia's for crepes you will be doing yourself and your missus a disservice. Certainly eclectic but very good.

That said I wasn't exactly blown away by many restaurants in NO. It's kinda like restaurants on the beach....they don't have to be particularly good since they'll get tourist business anyway. ymmv

-Observer

Been there, good restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Camellia Grill . . . It's not a high end restaurant . . . more of a diner, but it is 100% New Orleans, only locals go there. They have great breakfast served all day. It is on River Road, not sure exactly where but you can look it up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Dragos' but it is in Jefferson Parish East Bank. To me one of the best fried seafood platters is at Sals' in Boutie(west bank St Charles Parish) That is if you do any side trips from New Orleans.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think you'll find "cafe ole" anywhere.

cafe au lait and beignets is what you're looking for at Cafe Du Monde right across from Jackson Square.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Brennan's
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone mentioned Acme Oyster House for some oyster po boys yet?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned Acme Oyster House for some oyster po boys yet?

No, and I'm shocked they haven't.  Best in the city.

Oh, and skip Commander's Palace.  They're just running on their reputation now.  Food = teh suck.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Brigtsens, been to NO numerous times, by far the best food ive had, and ive been to all the
tourist traps

www.brigtsens.com/menu.html

my other favorite place

www.uglesichs.com/po-boys.html

u can always do the Arnauds,galatoires, Antoines, or anything Emeril, or the Brennans own
and have a great meal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top