Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 4:36:16 AM EDT
I have a new Dell Laptop running Windows XP professional with the latest version of IE, and am connected via cable modem.

Lately I hit the big blue "E" and am immediately transferred to my homepage (Yahoo). If I type anything in the address bar I see the "Working" animated icon moving forever, but I never get on the site. If I hit reload, same thing.

BUT

If I type "www.ar15.com" in the yahoo search bar it shows the link and if I click on that I am immediately transferred there. Same ofr all other websites. Seeing how this is a poor fix I would like to address the real problem. I have already restarted the computer & modem. How can I remedy this? TIA.

EDIT: I just noticed that when I click on links and sucessfully access those pages the "working" animated icon continues to animate and that includes when I hit the "stop" button.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It could be a software problem on your end, such as a corurpted cache, bad proxy settings, etc, or it could be a dns problem with your ISP. Does this happen with all websites, or just arfcom?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd delete your cookies, empty your Temporary Internet FIles, empty your Temp file, and set your Internet Options\General\Settings to check for newer versions each visit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It could be a software problem on your end, such as a corurpted cache, bad proxy settings, etc, or it could be a dns problem with your ISP. Does this happen with all websites, or just arfcom?

ALL WEBSITES.

I should have added earlier that I tried the cookies/TIF option earlier with no good result.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd delete your cookies, empty your Temporary Internet FIles, empty your Temp file, and set your Internet Options\General\Settings to check for newer versions each visit.

what he said especially the last one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Do history and cache too if you want to keep using IE or ....

go to Mozilla.com and download firefox and surf without as much hassle...keep IE for critical patch updates (Mr. Gates will not allow you to download patches with any other browser) and use Mozilla for all else (safer surfing)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]
first thing turn your cable modem off for about a 30 sec then turn it back on, during that time reboot your comptuter, if its still not working try this:

go to start the run type ipconfig /flushdns    then reboot the computer..  

if  that doesn't work try this winsockfix
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Try using a different dns server, there is a list of free ones somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do history and cache too if you want to keep using IE or ....

go to Mozilla.com and download firefox and surf without as much hassle...keep IE for critical patch updates (Mr. Gates will not allow you to download patches with any other browser) and use Mozilla for all else (safer surfing)

+1 on the mozilla.  Run a virus scan too
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lately I hit the big blue "E" and am immediately transferred to my homepage (Yahoo). If I type anything in the address bar I see the "Working" animated icon moving forever, but I never get on the site. If I hit reload, same thing.

Found the problem.  Here is the fix:  Firefox

<---Firefox user    
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Not to hijack Pulp here...But since we have many firefox users...can any of you add to this thread?
Firefox Issues

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Firefox was only good when it was in development and first came out. Once a large number of people started using it, it became just as spammed and exploited as IE. I switched back to IE because firefox incorrectly renders many websites I frequent and I'm tech savvy enough to know how to surf safely with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Firefox was only good when it was in development and first came out. Once a large number of people started using it, it became just as spammed and exploited as IE. I switched back to IE because firefox incorrectly renders many websites I frequent and I'm tech savvy enough to know how to surf safely with it.

Its nowhere as bad as IE. I tried IE yesterday and it sucked more than ever. Went back to Firefox and things are good again. Firefox problems (I never had a sigle one) are thousands of times less than IE.

I urefused to use Firefox and clung to the piece of garbage aclled IE as well. I am sure cavemen thought fire was bad at one time too, but the smarteer ones used it to their advantage while the others perished.

IE BAD
Firefox Good

ugh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top