BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 9:36:09 AM EDT
The money for the London terror attacks came from Saudi Arabia

UK terrorists got cash from Saudi Arabia before 7/7
By Toby Harnden in Riyadh and Andrew Alderson
(Filed: 07/08/2005)

Two senior al-Qaeda operatives in Saudi Arabia made money transfers and used coded text messages to communicate with suspected terrorists in Britain before last month's attacks in London, according to officials in the kingdom.

The two men, of Moroccan descent, have since been shot dead. Younis Mohammed Ibrahim al-Hayari, allegedly al-Qaeda's leader in Saudi Arabia, was killed in Riyadh three weeks ago and Abdel Karim al-Mejati died in a shoot-out in the central al-Qassim region in April.

Saudi security officials suspect both men of involvement in the attacks in London on July 7 and 21 and say that al-Qaeda is definitely operating in Britain. "It's beyond doubt they're active in your country," said one.

Huge amounts of chemicals and other bomb-making materials were found at al-Hayari's hideout. Al-Mejati is said to have planned the train bombings in Madrid in March last year.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed last week that Scotland Yard was investigating evidence that the two waves of terrorist attacks in London were also planned in Saudi Arabia.

London bombings

In an exclusive interview, Prince Turki al-Faisal, the Saudi ambassador to London, said this week that his country had warned Britain less than four months ago that such an attack was pending. Scotland Yard is investigating who received the coded messages and money - transferred from Saudi to Britain via businesses at both ends before July this year.

A Saudi security adviser said: "We are trying to establish whether the money was directly linked to the individuals who carried out either the first or the second sets of bombings in London.

"The messages and the money transfers were highly professional. They were using SIM cards for six hours and then throwing them away."

Last week The Sunday Telegraph revealed that Hussain Osman, 27, the suspected failed Shepherd's Bush bomber, had called a mobile phone in Saudi Arabia shortly before his arrest. Saudi security officials said Osman was phoning his parents, of Ethiopian extraction, while travelling by Eurostar from London to Rome. They are believed to have been living in the Jeddah area, near the Red Sea, for several years.

The call was monitored by a British intelligence agency as Osman spoke first to his mother and then to his father. His parents are not suspected of involvement in terrorism.
# Scotland Yard is to train up to 500 extra firearms officers because of the increased threat of attacks. Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police commissioner, said: "It's not so much about how many we can put on the street tomorrow, but it is the issue of sustaining the [anti-terror] campaign."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/07/nsaud07.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/08/07/ixportaltop.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Who would have thought?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm shocked.

Maybe King Fahd can do something about it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted: Who would have thought?
Saudi money financing terrorists? It must be a Zionist plot!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm shocked.

[King Fahd] Over my dead body! [/King Fahd]

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Saudi money financing terrorists? It must be a Zionist Republican plot!

It's Bush's fault, duh!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]

"Surprise, surprise, surprise!!"
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Now can we kill them?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Now can we kill them?

Of course not.  Haven't you heard?  George Bush said Saudia Arabia was on our side!

I have this mental image for a political cartoon:

Us on the left, SA on the right.  We're handing them money, and they're handing us oil with one hand and stabbing us in the back with the other.  All the while, both of us smile broadly at each other and pretend to be friends.

Maybe we should just cut out the middleman and give Al Quaeda the cash ourselves.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You're right!  I don't believe it.  Saudi Arabia is the most wholesome, purest Islamic country ever.  They are a shining example of how a country should be run.  Woman with bags over their heads, hit them with sticks if they don't.  Sharia law with executions, hand choppings, stonings, and floggings (even for foreign rape victims).  Everyone is a prince and is part of the government.  Sand, lots of fucking sand.  Some of it's even holy.  Mecca, a Mecca for tourist.  Come on!  Every Muslim in the world(over a billion!) is required to visit there at least once.  Think of the concessions, hotel, and motel buisiness.  

Ther is no way such a cool place could ever allow it's hard earned oil cash find its way into the hands of such mean people.  The place is such a paradise that the children sing and dance as they eat chocolate and nugut candy.  They walk down streets paved with frankenscence and muir, and the sugar plum trees are always laden with their fruit.

Bilster
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Everytime we buy gas, we help pay for IED's in Iraq too. We need to cut the oil producing gulf states off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You're right!  I don't believe it.  Saudi Arabia is the most wholesome, purest Islamic country ever.  They are a shining example of how a country should be run.  Woman with bags over their heads, hit them with sticks if they don't.  Sharia law with executions, hand choppings, stonings, and floggings (even for foreign rape victims).  Everyone is a prince and is part of the government.  Sand, lots of fucking sand.  Some of it's even holy. Mecca, a Mecca for tourist.  Come on!  Every Muslim in the world(over a billion!) is required to visit there at least once.  Think of the concessions, hotel, and motel buisiness.  

Ther is no way such a cool place could ever allow it's hard earned oil cash find its way into the hands of such mean people.  The place is such a paradise that the children sing and dance as they eat chocolate and nugut candy.  They walk down streets paved with frankenscence and muir, and the sugar plum trees are always laden with their fruit.

Bilster

We USED to call that a "target rich environment"
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm shocked, shocked to find out that terrorist money is being supplied by Saudis!

Cheap rumors, gossip!
The truth hurts, don't it...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Can't be...................my government tells me that Saudi Arabia is my friend..........besides. I saw George Bush himself holding hands with them!

So there!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're right!  I don't believe it.  Saudi Arabia is the most wholesome, purest Islamic country ever.  They are a shining example of how a country should be run.  Woman with bags over their heads, hit them with sticks if they don't.  Sharia law with executions, hand choppings, stonings, and floggings (even for foreign rape victims).  Everyone is a prince and is part of the government.  Sand, lots of fucking sand.  Some of it's even holy. Mecca, a Mecca for tourist.  Come on!  Every Muslim in the world(over a billion!) is required to visit there at least once.  Think of the concessions, hotel, and motel buisiness.  

Bilster

We USED to call that a "target rich environment"

You mean it's not?

Bilster
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Check it out, it's my surprised face------->
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now can we kill them?

Of course not.  Haven't you heard?  George Bush said Saudia Arabia was on our side!

I have this mental image for a political cartoon:

Us on the left, SA on the right.  We're handing them money, and they're handing us oil with one hand and stabbing us in the back with the other.  All the while, both of us smile broadly at each other and pretend to be friends.

like a james bond movie!
yea. no suprises here - the house of saud is the house of shit.
generally regarded in the arab world as a bunch of scummy beduoins who found some oil.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
generally regarded in the arab world as a bunch of scummy beduoins who found some oil nationalized private U.S. oil companies' interests.

That's more to the point.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't believe it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Hell man there getting money from the USA too. al-Qaeda are all over the planet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saudi money financing terrorists? It must be a Zionist Republican plot!

It's Bush's fault, duh!

Nope, it was a Mossad plot to incite violence against the RoP®. It is a RoP® and it has to be those hateful Xians && Jeeews that did it.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Hypothetically speaking, what is keeping a well-funded group of people from... hell I don't know... lobbing mortars into Mecca, bombing holy shrines, generally fucking up the place over in the sandbox?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm shocked.

That guy can FOAD. Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hypothetically speaking, what is keeping a well-funded group of people from... hell I don't know... lobbing mortars into Mecca, bombing holy shrines, generally fucking up the place over in the sandbox?

Probably the same thing that ties our hands everytime a terrorist leader hides in a Mosque.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Round up the usual suspects!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now can we kill them?

and he said some other stupid shit about how the illegals are good "folks" too
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the same thing that ties our hands everytime a terrorist leader hides in a Mosque.

what if it wasn't state-sponsored, just a group of concerned citizens?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The money for the London terror attacks came from Saudi Arabia

When do we invade Saudi Arabia? They seem to be the biggest state sponsor of muslem terrorist.

FWIW the mastermind of the Cole bombing was a Saudi too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm, where is osama from ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Say it isn't so!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Well! No Shit!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#35]
No, I do beleive it.  

Saudi Arabia is not "our" friend or ally.

It is basically an oil rich but barren wasteland run by a family (the house of Saud).  Aside from the administrivia of having to have a "face" with which to deal with the rest of the world, I don't even think they have what could be considered a real central government.  

Think of Saudi Arabia in terms of about a dozen enclaves each ruled with an iron fist by a differnet Saudi Prince, tied together loosely by a name and that pretty much describes the situation.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top