Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 9:03:23 AM EDT
Not including work expenses, how much do you spend on recreational shooting for yourself in one year? This includes guns, ammo, gear, gas to/from range, range fees, magazines, etc.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont dare count, needless to say alot. >5k
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
[dr evil] 1 million dollars [dr evil]

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Why would you want to make me think about the dollar amount? It's obscene, OK!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
OMG..... excuse me while I whip this out.

<pulls out calculator>
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Around 2k, give or take $500.  I'm trying to be more responsible this year.  So far it's working.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I went through a 850lb pallet of mixed ammo last year
that I bought from a closing shop for $1200 .

Add to that a couple of cases of Aussie 7.62 surp
and a bunch of bulk box .22 , targets , range membership
fees . glasses , gloves and hearing protection .

I don't even count extra mags , replacement parts , updating
equipment like spotting scopes and rests or transport cases .

All and all , it's still way cheaper then some of my previous
hobby's

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#7]
So, do the over $5000 group represent the NFA owners?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don't think so...

A nice rifle with rings and decent glass can get you up to $2k pretty quickly.  Start adding in free float railed handguards, weapon lights, bipods, it can get up to $3k with no problem.

Decent handguns run $500+ when you add in extra mags & holsters.

Going through $2k in centerfire ammo in one year isn't difficult.

Any in depth training class is going to run you $500 minimum including ammo.

Indoor range fees are around $300/yr here, outdoor ranges $100/yr to $600/yr.

Add in subscriptions/memberships/contributions to NRA, GOA, SGN, AR15.com; book purchases like UC, EFAD, Suprinowycz's stream of conciousness ramblings add up too.

It'd be interesting to run this same poll on www.rimfirecentral.com and see what the results are.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't spend much for gear and my backyard is the range so there aren't fees or burning of gas to get to it involved.

What's the deal with lights? Is it legal to shoot in the dark where you live, because it's outdated in this state.

And what type of training do you go to? The only training I get is what the army has me do.

And can you also specify what kind of gear?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Ben
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't spend much for gear and my backyard is the range so there aren't fees or burning of gas to get to it involved.

What's the deal with lights? Is it legal to shoot in the dark where you live, because it's outdated in this state.

And what type of training do you go to? The only training I get is what the army has me do.

And can you also specify what kind of gear?

Get to shoot in your backyard! Lucky bastage! Are you up near Watertown by any chance?

Bump for the evening crew.

Yes in many States (GA the thirteenth is one) you can shoot in the dark. You need lights to do so safely unless you are really wealthy and can afford the available high-end non-VR optics coming on to the civilian market.

There's lots of civilian training out there. Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Roger's Shooting School, SigArms Academy are all location specific schools. There's a lot of guys like Hackathorn, Super Dave, Ayoob, Andy Stafford and others who offer on-site training to groups. I've spent $700 each on two local area courses including ammo, travel costs, etc. Those were considered bargain classes but I learned more than I spent. YMMV. They all have websites that cover their curriculii.

Gear includes pistol belts, replacement parts (springs, grips, barrels), cleaning supplies, ear and eye protection, shot timers, etc. Anything that isn't a gun, ammo, training or a travel expense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't think so...

A nice rifle with rings and decent glass can get you up to $2k pretty quickly.  Start adding in free float railed handguards, weapon lights, bipods, it can get up to $3k with no problem.

Decent handguns run $500+ when you add in extra mags & holsters.

Going through $2k in centerfire ammo in one year isn't difficult.

Any in depth training class is going to run you $500 minimum including ammo.

Indoor range fees are around $300/yr here, outdoor ranges $100/yr to $600/yr.

Add in subscriptions/memberships/contributions to NRA, GOA, SGN, AR15.com; book purchases like UC, EFAD, Suprinowycz's stream of conciousness ramblings add up too.

It'd be interesting to run this same poll on www.rimfirecentral.com and see what the results are.

I thought we were talking ammo and fees only...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I buy a few guns a year, so probably up to $2000 right there.
Then toys, like optics, accessories, cases, cleaning supplies.....another $500-1000
Range memberships / fees - maybe $350
Ammo.....probably somewhere between $1250-1500

To be conservative, at least $4000....and worth every last penny
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought we were talking ammo and fees only...

Man I wish. And this site DOES NOT HELP! [shaking fist angrily at the Avilas ].

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And this site DOES NOT HELP! [shaking fist angrily at the Avilas ].

You said a mouthful here!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#17]
It's not a hobby and it's not recreational.  It hardcore training for when the zombies come.

Go ahead and laugh.  But I'll be eating yummy MREs while you munch on yucky brains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top