Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 5:59:26 AM EDT
I am taking this and have found it does almost absolutely nothing against pollen or anything that I'm allergic to. Some of my family members take the same medication and they do not feel that it works.
Some of my co-workers also tried it (from their prescriptions) and didn't feel it did anything.

On a positive note, it doesn't make me feel drowsy. I used to take Claritin but it would knock me out for a few hours and generally isn't good for the liver.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
allegra is worthless to me

claratin over the counter works.

I'm trying out zyrtec this year ... and it seems to be the most effective out of allegra, claratin, and zyrtec, but it makes me drowsy.

The only thing that really works for me is benadryl and sometimes prednisone.

God I fucking hate being dependent on drugs.

I think the drug companies put something in the air to make me allergic to ragweed.

I usually start off ragweed season with claratin or zyrtex in august, then when it really ramps up in september I add in a steroid nasal spray and anti-histamine eyedrops. Sometimes it gets so bad that even that combination doesn't help much and then I end up on prednisone.

I keep hoping for the next global ice age to come along ... at least ragweed will DIE.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#3]
All right, I will be the odd man out here.

Allegra 180 is a miracle drug for me.

Claritin used to work for me, but the allergens in the air here greatly overwhelm it. (Here being Tucson AZ).

Allegra is one of the "not on the LIST" drugs on my plan, so I have to pay $50 a month for it.  I gladly pay it.

Claritin is ineffective, Benadryl has no effect, and from the one time I took Pred (for a skin issue) I swore I would never do that again even if my skin was falling off in sheets.

Geoff
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Allegra and Nasonex works for me, well that and my weekly allergy shot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Different stuff for different people.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have terrible pollen allergies. I had to get weekly shots for about 5 years as a kid. Now they just bother me for about 2 weeks in the fall and 2 in the spring. I have pretty much tried it all, and to be honest nothing is as effective for me as good old benadryl.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Works for me.  That and nasonex nasal spray if things are really bad.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Flonase and other topical steroids work quite well for me for pollen allergies.  Some OTC stuff, most notably Benedryl, are helpful with mosquito bites and my food allergies; however, avoidance WRT non-pollen allergies is the best course for me.

Careful with the prednisone!  I'd do about anything rather than take a systemic steroid...but sometimes it is unavoidable.  Immuniotherapy (allergy shots) were a complete waste of money/time for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Allegra worked fine for me.

Allegra-D was worthless. I might as well have taken M&M's

Which one are you on?

That is weird because both have the same ingredient (fexofenadine) but Allegra-D just has a decongestant (pseudoephedrine) added with it. If you take the 180 once a day you are getting the same amount of fexonfenadine as you do when taking Allegra-D 24 hour.

Allegra D 12 hour has less fexonfenadine in it, only 60 mg so that one might not have worked for you because you weren't getting enough (120 mg every 24 hours vs. 180)

I don't like claritin, I use a combination of Allegra and Singulair and it works great for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top