Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:27:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IM me your email and I'll send you one.

cool, incoming

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Do these work pretty well?  I have thought about getting one for years...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Fuck no.

Theres 2 lines of thought with sniping.

1) By not placing all your cards on the table, it gives you a chance to get it at a potentially lower price becuase other bidders wont have time to respond to a sudden price increase at the last second.

2) Lay your cards on the table. Figure out exactly what the most you are willing to pay is and enter it in then walk away. If you win you win, if you dont you dont.

I follow line 2. No one else knows your high big till they start bidding anyways. So if an auction is at 10 bucks and you enter 50, it will go to whatever is required for you to get it (Say 12). Thats gives you from 12 to 50 to keep winning. Next guy comes along and bids 30. You still have it at 31.

This is why I think sniping is totally fuckin worthless. Some guy wants to be all sneaky and sets his snipe at 40. Well, it still wont matter because in the last few seconds his snipe goes at 40, and you turn around and get it for 41.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck no.

1) By not placing all your cards on the table, it gives you a chance to get it at a potentially lower price becuase other bidders wont have time to respond to a sudden price increase at the last second.

2) Lay your cards on the table. Figure out exactly what the most you are willing to pay is and enter it in then walk away. If you win you win, if you dont you dont.

I follow line 2. No one else knows your high big till they start bidding anyways. So if an auction is at 10 bucks and you enter 50, it will go to whatever is required for you to get it (Say 12). Thats gives you from 12 to 50 to keep winning. Next guy comes along and bids 30. You still have it at 31.

This is why I think sniping is totally fuckin worthless. Some guy wants to be all sneaky and sets his snipe at 40. Well, it still wont matter because in the last few seconds his snipe goes at 40, and you turn around and get it for 41.

lol....You must be broke by now from doing that

EVERYBODY snipes, if you are not doing it by now- you should be.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck no.

Why? Whats the point?
Its just like I said. Highest bid wins. Period. If my bid I enter 3 days from close is higher then your bid at the last second, I STILL win.
And no one knows what a bidders highest potential bid is until its reached. In all reality not sniping is better because I can place my high bid and if its still not enough I have a few days to mull over if I really want to go for it and come back later with a higher bid.

And its funny, because I usually win more then I lose unless the item becomes more expensive then comparable items.

Like I said, earlier, theres 2 lines of thought with bidding.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used sniping for a while now, and the program I use (auctionsniper) works great.  Nabbed a $650 scope once for $400 - got some other nice deals, too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck no.

Why? Whats the point?
Its just like I said. Highest bid wins. Period. If my bid I enter 3 days from close is higher then your bid at the last second, I STILL win.
And no one knows what a bidders highest potential bid is until its reached. In all reality not sniping is better because I can place my high bid and if its still not enough I have a few days to mull over if I really want to go for it and come back later with a higher bid.

And its funny, because I usually win more then I lose unless the item becomes more expensive then comparable items.

LOL! Specop, you are so right!  It's amazing how many idiots get wrapped up in "winning" and forget to set a threshold as to how much they are willing to pay.  Ebay has a sniping program built into it, and you just described it.

BTW, Ebay's fixed auction end time sucks ass for the seller.  Gunbroker works like a real auction, where the auction remains open until no bidding occurs for 15 minutes after closing.  That way the seller gets max for his product.  I've been to several auctions, and in none did the bidding close after a certain time.  The bidding keeps going until no one wants to up the ante.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#9]
www.justsnipe.com

It'll give you (I think) one free snipe a week, and the free ones can't be used for ebay motors stuff.  If you want more, it's only $5/month.

I hate sniping... it sucks, and I've been sniped more often than I've succeeded.  The real solution would be something like Gunbroker's "15 minute rule".  But for now, sniping is the way the game is played...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#10]
It works.. I'vebeen doing it for years now.

If you put your max in as a proxy bid early on, you risk starting a bidding war with one of those retards that think they must have the item at any cost.

Say the item is at 10 bucks.  Theres a guy that put a proxy bid in for 25.  Your max is going to be 50, so thats your snipe.  A few guys bid here and there... eventually its at 22.  At the last second you throw in your 50 max and win the item for 26.  You get it for half of you max and dodged the risk of some idiot bidding the item up sky high.   You potentially saved 20+ on the item.  Makes sense to me.  THrow all your cards on the table and chances are good one of those complete ebay retards will bid the item to some skyhigh amount for some little piece of crap.  I don't bid until there is 6 seconds left in the auction.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why? Whats the point?

The reason sniping works so well on eBay is because the vast majority of eBayers are complete morons.

Specop_007 is correct that eBay is set up as a proxy bid and people should just enter their highest bid at the beginning, but they don't.  Instead they try and play it like a "real" auction where you enter a small bid just enough to outbid someone else, then wait to see if they outbid you, and then you place another slightly higher bid.

Of course, with eBay's absolute time cutoff, this is incredibly stupid.  Then again, so are most eBayers.  Because of this, sniping works like a charm.  I can't tell you how many pieces of hatemail I've gotten from eBayers that I sniped crying that it wasn't fair of me to enter a bid at 3 sec. because they would've entered a higher bid.  I usually just send a note back saying "it's an auction, high bid wins.  I bid more than you, so I won.  Quite whining."  

So as long as stupidity runs rampant on eBay, sniping is going to be your best bet at buying goods cheaply.  And I see no evidence of eBayers getting any smarter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top