Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2005 6:51:47 PM EDT
I am pissed.  What does Washington know or what reason could they have for not f'ing up Assad?

As Col. Cowan said on FNC tonight, we know where the insurgents train in Syria, where they get there money from etc..  He was himself puzzled by our lack of action.

Are we scared to have the image of Vietnam, ie.  having to go to Cambodia, Laos, etc?

We should tell Syria Govt, whether you are directly involved or not, the terrorists are coming from you country.  Stop them or we will start breaking stuff and killing people inside your country.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Attack with WHAT?

We are pretty bogged down and over extened in Iraq and Afganistan now......
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
We need to send a few 117's to Damascus.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

+100000000000
I guess we could yell dirty words at them, that would teach them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

Nothing a few B2's can't handle!

<----------  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

<----------  

Okay, then what?  (assuming conventional ordanance)
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#8]
In 1990, we could have dealt with Syria too. In 2005, our options are much more limited, as we have 8 fewer active divisions in the US Army.

Yeah, the Soviet Union fell, so now we need to cut our military in half. What could we possibly need a large military for in the post-Cold War era?

Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
yea... go ahead and bomb them. If you think the Syrians are giving them support now, wait and see how much that support increases when JDAM's start hitting Syrian targets.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I cant figure it out myself why we haven't attacked Syria. We have plenty of air-power. Make them hurt if they are going to continue to run fighters into Iraq attacking our troops. A little pain and it might make the rag-heads see the light.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me check my list here:

1) Bring down the Soviet Union
2) Throw Iraq out of Kuwait
3) Oust the Taliban from Afganistan
4) Overthrow Saddam Hussein
5) Overthrow Assad
5) Kick the Islamo-fascists out of Iran
6) North Korea
etc.

Looks like they are next.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

The deal is this...We do not need a ground force invasion.  We bomb the banks, camps, houses that we apparently know are there and complicit to the insurgency to send a message.  And as far as I am concerned, if Assad is knowingly allowing his countrymen to be involved he is an enemy of this country and should have all the shit that is dear to him bombed to rubble.  Then he will either be dead or maybe atleast will get the message.

Send a message that we are not to be screwed with.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I think some strategic bombing is in order, but it will certainly cause a shitstorm if we do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

<----------  

Bomb till the shit stops. We don't have to invade. And they sure as hell are not going to attack us.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

+100000000000

So we have nothing in our arsenal left that could help end a country's direct aid to our enemies outside Iraq and Afghan????  who are we France.  That is just idiotic! +10000000000
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Syria is on Ted Kennedy's Contributer list......thats why
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

+100000000000

They need a good taunting.

Fech la Vache
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
yea... go ahead and bomb them. If you think the Syrians are giving them support now, wait and see how much that support increases when JDAM's start hitting Syrian targets.

Then why don't we just pack up go home, and hope they ROP will leave us alone.  THE ONLY THING THEY RESPECT IS FEAR, THEY LAUGH AT CAPITUALIZATION.

If we can't handle Syria we should start the draft tomorrow.  Either we are serious about winning or not.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

5) Overthrow Assad
6) North Korea
etc.

You forgot Libya. And Syria pulled out of Lebanon because of US pressure.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

Calling "Little Boy"  and "Fat Man"
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

[cartman]Thats what I said! [/cartman]

<-----------
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Let the Iraqis deal with them. A few suicide bombers headed in the opposite direction will do wonders for Assad's attention span.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

<----------  

Bomb till the shit stops. We don't have to invade. And they sure as hell are not going to attack us.

+100000000000000000000000000

USA = WINNER!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

5) Overthrow Assad
6) North Korea
etc.

You forgot The House of Saud
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attack with WHAT?

Calling "Little Boy"  and "Fat Man"

I wonder if xrays can be imprinted on sand?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
There's this thing called an insurgency going on in Iraq that is kinda keeping our hands full at the moment.  The last thing we need is to insight further unrest, which is why we had to cool off the rhetoric towards both Syria and Iran.  There's just not much we can do at the moment, at least not overtly. Thank those who failed to plan for "post-hostility" occupation.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]

There's this thing called an insurgency going on in Iraq that is kinda keeping our hands full at the moment

That is what this thread is about.  Syria is backing the insurgency with men, money and equipment.  The insurgency is the topic.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

There's this thing called an insurgency going on in Iraq that is kinda keeping our hands full at the moment

That is what this thread is about.  Syria is backing the insurgency with men, money and equipment.  The insurgency is the topic.

Now read the rest of my post.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There's this thing called an insurgency going on in Iraq that is kinda keeping our hands full at the moment.  The last thing we need is to insight further unrest, which is why we had to cool off the rhetoric towards both Syria and Iran.  There's just not much we can do at the moment, at least not overtly. Thank those who failed to plan for "post-hostility" occupation.

Fuck talking start bombing. We don't have to invade. If we started a weekly bombing campaign and told them it would not stop till they shut down the insurgency it would stop.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Yup, Syria is fueling the insurgency. Cut off the flow of men. money and weapons coming in from Syria and the insurgency will decrease dramatically.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#31]
The Arab world tolerates us killing Muslims in Iraq because we removed Saddam. They tolerate us in Afganistan because we ousted the Taliban. If we fuck around and invade/attack any more Arab countries, the rest of the Arab world might start listening to the jihadist's calls for a global war on western infidels.

Other than Egypt, which has an elected president, I don't know of many other Arab countries where democracy has taken root and flourished. Some are a little more freer than others, but most of them are totalatrian societies ruled either by oil-rich despots or radical religious leaders. Centuries-old tribal rivalries require a brutal central dictatorship to maintain order. Without such a government, they will quickly return to sectarian conflict.

If or when the time comes for us to invade other Arab countries, we'd best have more countries on board with us.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now read the rest of my post.

I did, so?  Planning was poor, but that doesnt nullify that something has to be done.  Syria is at the root.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The Arab world tolerates us killing Muslims in Iraq because we removed Saddam. They tolerate us in Afganistan because we ousted the Taliban. If we fuck around and invade/attack any more Arab countries, the rest of the Arab world might start listening to the jihadist's calls for a global war on western infidels.

Other than Egypt, which has an elected president, I don't know of many other Arab countries where democracy has taken root and flourished. Some are a little more freer than others, but most of them are totalatrian societies ruled either by oil-rich despots or radical religious leaders. Centuries-old tribal rivalries require a brutal central dictatorship to maintain order. Without such a government, they will quickly return to sectarian conflict.

If or when the time comes for us to invade other Arab countries, we'd best have more countries on board with us.

Quit being reasonable. If you're not for killing them all then you're obviously a sympathizer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quit being reasonable. If you're not for killing them all then you're obviously a sympathizer.

So leaving a country alone that is resposible for killing our guys is ok.  I dont understand.  You are scared the whole arab world will start a Jihad if we have to do what we need to do?  We should leave them alone because we might make them mad?  sounds like a good ole European appeasment strategy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I agree that Syria is the "Cambodia" of this war, and something should be done to shut down the flow of weapons and fighters into Iraq. But we can't keep illegal immigrants from streaming across the southern borders of the US, so how are we supposed to stop Syrian infiltrators in Iraq?

Here's a scenario: we bomb the shit out of Syria, Syria retaliates by launching a missile Strike on Isreal, drawing them into a war the US would rather not have them be a part of for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

They are not tolerating us, they hate our guts, it's their governments who are suppling the terrorists. We don't have to send in ground troops to get them to stop. BOMB, them. It worked for Libya. Screw what they think. The only think those people understand is power.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I think we've already seen that you don't win until you put boots on the ground.

Air is fine.  Air is fun.......but Air doesn't win it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I agree that Syria is the "Cambodia" of this war, and something should be done to shut down the flow of weapons and fighters into Iraq. But we can't keep illegal immigrants from streaming across the southern borders of the US, so how are we supposed to stop Syrian infiltrators in Iraq?

Here's a scenario: we bomb the shit out of Syria, Syria retaliates by launching a missile Strike on Isreal, drawing them into a war the US would rather not have them be a part of for obvious reasons.

If Syria wants some of Israel, let them go for it. The last thing Syria wants is that. Israel want stop next time till they get to the Turkey border.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we've already seen that you don't win until you put boots on the ground.

We bombed Hanoi into submission.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't have to win. Just get them to stop. Blow up enough targets they will stop.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So leaving a country alone that is resposible for killing our guys is ok.  I dont understand.  You are scared the whole arab world will start a Jihad if we have to do what we need to do?  We should leave them alone because we might make them mad?  sounds like a good ole European appeasment strategy.

So where are we going to stop? You know there are fighters being imported from as far away as Africa right? Are we going to invade Africa and any country they stop in on the way?
This is not a war where invading countries will achieve our goals. We are so used to defining an enemy as a country. We can't do that anymore. Our enemy isn't a country. Our enemy is more amorphous than that.
Here's my guess. Assad probably doesn't have much choice. Much like the Pakistani president. If he's going to stay in power, he probably has to turn a blind eye to certain generals or intelligence heads supporting the insurgency. I do not believe the Syrian government proper is supporting the insurgency, just elements of it. Just like in Pakistan. Right now we are in a position where we cannot occupy the whole middle east. So we have to give a little to get a little. Syria has removed its troops from Lebanon. Why the sudden change in their policy? IMO, it's because Assad is signalling he'll play ball with us as much as he's able.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you, 15?

I support Bush and his decision to invade Iraq. I support our troops who are dying over there every day serving in a military that I don't believe you ever served in. What I don't think is prudent at this time is to start World War III because of your dumbass macho "ride-em cowboy, lets kick all their asses" attitude.

Here's a thought: why don't you join the army and take your ass to Iraq and start checking passports at the Syrian border?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#43]
would it have something to do with Syria co-operating with the war on terror?  With Syrian internal security forces arresting/killing terrorists?  With syria providing really, amazingly good sandwiches at the global war on terror meetings?

'I seen it on Fox news!  We gotta kill those OTHER a-rabs!  Damn sand niggers!'

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A big plus one. Only ground troops can take and hold real estate.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Egpyt has an elected president? You realize that for the last 20 + years no one has been able to run against Mubarak right? Egypt, until this year, didnt even allow political parties. And now that they do allow political parties, it is still illegal for political parties to hold public rallies with more than 5 people in attendance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5) Overthrow Assad
6) North Korea
etc.

Libya is seeing the error of their past ways so I would not worry about it.
If we had troops hop the border by "accident", they could do some search/destroy and hop back over. Nobody will be the wiser and no proof our troops were there.
We could also use 117s and B2s to take out staging areas over the border.
How about night time helo "hunter killer" teams along the border?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5) Overthrow Assad
6) North Korea
etc.

Ghadafi (sp?) already capitulated and cried uncle after he saw Saddam go down.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I would hazard a guess that we have guys operating in Syria along the border with Iraq... its probably not going to make the news, and its probably not a lot of guys... but I'd be willing to put money on it that its happening.

If Iraq can get its own Security forces stood up and working at the will of a good government, maybe THEY will invade Syria and curtail the influx on their own. One can hope.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5) Overthrow Assad
6) North Korea
etc.

that's becuz kadafi is a panzy... we have tougher enemies ahead.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Egpyt has an elected president? You realize that for the last 20 + years no one has been able to run against Mubarak right? Egypt, until this year, didnt even allow political parties. And now that they do allow political parties, it is still illegal for political parties to hold public rallies with more than 5 people in attendance.

Arab countries just aren't meant to be democracies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top