Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 1:12:45 PM EDT
That was prosecuted for shooting his neighbor's dog with a bow and arrow?  I believe the first trial ended with a hung jury.  

Anyone know the outcome?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
bump

no one remembers this?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Nooo.

Linky?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Hung jury?

Why not a hung sumbitch?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I remember that, IIRC he took a plea bargain for a lesser charge.  He posted that he wanted to fight it but the legal fees from the first case were already more than he could handle.

It's a shame the legal system $$$ can break a man's convictions like that

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hung jury?

Why not a hung sumbitch?

IIRC, the neighbor's dog charged his young daughter, he grabbed her and quickly went inside.  He grabbed the first weapon he saw, hunting bow, and went back outside.  The dog charged him supposedly and he put an arrow right into the dog's chest.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah I remember that, IIRC he took a plea bargain for a lesser charge.  He posted that he wanted to fight it but the legal fees from the first case were already more than he could handle.

EPOCH

Thanks.  Yeah, I was kinda pulling for that guy.  Darn shame.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, that's the way things work these days.

A while ago I posted my pit bull story and I received all sorts of messages and replies about how I should've shot the dog, what happens if it attacks a child next time, etc.  The sad fact is if you shoot a dog, even if it's totally justifiable, you're in for some serious legal hassles and several thousand$$ in legal fees.  So you're forced to make a decision about whether you'd shoot a dog based on money.  In otherwords, are you willing to pay $10,000, $20,000, or maybe even $50,000 out of your pocket to save that person?

If a pit bull is attacking my daughter or one of my good friends, no problem.  The mailman in my story?  Not really.  What about a someone or a child that I don't know?  Sorry, but I'm not going to lose my house and everything I own defending myself against felony charges for a stranger.  Yeah, it's sad, but it's not my problem.  And who's to say that stranger is going to back me up?  Many people are so horrified of guns and have never seen anything killed before that maybe this stranger will take the dog owner's side and claim they really weren't threatened by the dog when this Psycho With a Gun stepped out and started blasting poor Fluffy who never hurt anyone before.  Do you really want to place your freedom and everything you own into the hands of these people or the typical jury these days?

So there I am.  These pits get out and threaten people every so often.  And all I can do is watch and wait to see if they decide to attack someone that I truly care about.  But until that happens, I'm going to hold my fire, save my house, and stay out of the legal system.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Javaman, that is a sad reality these days. Many LEO's actually have the same hesitations everyday when it comes to work.  "is it really worth it....  and I'm going to get sued?.....will I end up on the five oclock news being painted as a villian?" and the list goes on.

Bottom line, protect your family.  That's what matters most.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
We need a national network of lawyers with good sense who are willing to take these case, or at least act as local counsel without fees when a citizen is facing bogus charges and a lawyer from another state is willing to come in and litigate the case on reasonable (or pro bono) terms. If anybody's interested, I'll be available, provided the client pays coach transportation if I'm traveling to represent him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top