Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2001 8:04:22 AM EDT
I've been blasted for this view. I believe no cop will turn in his badge (paycheck) over an order violate the costitution. Here we go: Blast away if you dare. Read it and weep suckers. Cops are and will be nothing more that tools of the State, (and revenue collectors). Where's a cop when you need one? Don't thanks.

http://www.isra.org/indexa.shtml
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry you feel that way...next time you're in trouble DON'T dial 911
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Waverunner, next time I need help, I'm not going to call 911.  Last time I called 911, I was on hold for over 15 minutes.  I could have walked to the police station faster.  Lousy local 911 service is one reason I bought my first gun in January of this year.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
[sleep]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Revenue collectors huh?
If you get a ticket from me, it's a slap on your  forehead telling you you've done something to endanger the public or myself. I don't walk out the office door in the morning saying "yup, need to generate revenue today!", especially since contrary to public opinion, we don't get a  dime of any ticket money. Oh sure, I am sure we see SOME funding back in terms of grants, but you seem to think that we actually get a per centage of each and every ticket  directed into our budget.
 As has been said, if you don't like a particular law, work to prevent its passage or get it overturned. Don't expect us as officers to pick and choose what laws to enforce. Every portion of the public would want us to enforce certain laws and ignore others. And of course every person we arrest already wants us out there harasssing "real" criminals, not them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't comment on the response times of the police or the 911 operators in other areas of the US. I guess you do what you have to do. If I was on hold for 15 minutes with an emergency call, you can bet I'd deal with whatever is going bump in the night with a loaded firearm as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I respect LEO's and believe that they want to properly keep order in our communities.  I believe that most are moral, normal people who only want to keep their towns, cities, and states safe.  (No comment on the Illinois gun grab.)

However, response time around here is 10-15 minutes.  A lot can happen during that time...

911 is a joke.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
let me make one Point a very logical one to "THE POLICE DONT STOP CRIME they show up after the fact!"  even if hes walking down the street and c some dude beating the crap out of someone He still showed up after the fact!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
preban:
One of the  other guys who's an LEO  in my Guard unit and I were  talking about respective case loads this weekend. He works in a  moderately sized urban city and handles around 30 calls a night according to him. I work in a semi-rural county and get around 8 calls a night. Some nights I can spend the better part of a shift on ONE call. That increases the work load for the other deputies . I had a road rage case the other day that tied  me up the entire tour . I am usually patrolling half a county by myself . Depending on where I am when your call comes in, 15 minutes may not get me even close to your door in terms of response times.
Until they figure out how to beam me right to your door, response time should not be taken as a way to judge the effectiveness of the agency as long as its not sheer negligence or a lack of any response to your call.
 You can thank a slow 911 call (the actual call itself) on all those idiots who call 911 for non-emergency issues. You want information, please call 411 or the agencies business line during the day. Save 911 for emergencies.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#13]
[size=3] Here we go AGAIN.

Guess someone here got a ticket/summons, OH, well!![/size=3]                                                                                    
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[size=4]Here we go AGAIN. Guess someone(who started this thread,not mentioning any names!) got a ticket/summons recently, oh well.[/size=4]
View Quote

No, it is not me, and he deserves a ticket just for posting it!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
However, response time around here is 10-15 minutes.  A lot can happen during that time...

911 is a joke.

Mike
View Quote
This is the very point we need to make to those who claim that we should depend on the police for our protection.  Not a slam at LEO's, just the simple fact that they cannot be everywhere at once.  It is just not possible.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
and you don't?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I work in a very rural county. It could take me 20-30 minutes to respond in a worst case scenario. Luckily that usually does not happen. I don't know of anyone out here who thinks the police are thier personal protector. People out here tend to be self sufficient. Unfortunately we are reactive and not as proactive as we would like to be. That has to do with budgets, not ability. I and mant of my co-workers are as pro 2nd amendment as you come. I know there are abuses and bad cops but the fact remains that most people that are arrested or given citations, very much deserve them. I'm    getting tired of listening to all of the whiners about LEO's this and that, GET A LIFE.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't walk out the office door in the morning saying "yup, need to generate revenue today!"
View Quote

I think most traffic cops feel the same,  however, does anyone believe city, county and state governments want to give up the bucks generated by traffic citations?  I don't.  I consider an occassional tix another cost of driving. I don't get ticked at the cop; not his fault.  

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Same old crap, different post. People get citations because the actions they take endanger not only themselves, but others. If they would merely respect the rights/safety of others there would be no need for traffice enforcement. Respect the rights of others, as you would expect them to respect your rights.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, expired tags, we don't have inspection stickers, D/L's, suspended D/L's all generate "revenue". This Revenue helps to fund the court system that must process even non-criminal civil citations, which is what most citations are. Hearing officers don't do it for free, the ciations cost money, the clerks who process them cost money.
Personally I feel that between the almost $12,000 Uncle Sugar got from me last year in income taxes, plus my county property taxes, I'll happily allow the motoring public to assist in tax relief.
BTW, we, that is the department, don't get any funds from citations. The state gets part, the county/city where it was issued gets a large segment-in our case it goes into the general fund, not the departments, some goes to second dollar funds for training, some goes to the local academy, and finally some goes to fund Teen Court.
No, I do not have a quota, I can write as many as I want.
I apologize for the smartass above, I actually have only written about 4 citations a month average for years now. They ususally are for little things like DUI, driving while d/l
suspended/revoked for DUI, that sort of chickenshit stuff...
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#22]
So driving 40 in a 35mph zone at 2:00 am is endagering the public?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't recall saying driving 5 over is a problem, I have never written for less than 15 over, and usually 20-75 over.
Speeding in and of itself is not a major problem. That is until you mix in factors like roadway suitability, the relative speed of other traffic, cross traffic, entering traffic, driver skill. Those little factors are what determine if it is dangerous or not.
So, please don't misquote me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]To Larry G and tcsd1236[/b]:

I'm not refering to police officers as a joke; they do not dawdle or lay about.

However, I [u]do[/u] refer to 911 as a joke because of the problems you listed.  Folks call for all sorts of stupid reasons.  There aren't enough lines to handle the calls.  In addition, the wife of a friend works 911; she complains that the equipment is over a decade old, turnover and burnout are high, and state funding is negligible.

I'm not saying 911 is a joke for any one of those reasons.  I [b]am[/b] saying that it is a joke because of how long it takes to get through, how long it takes for the call to be routed, and how long it takes before it finally gets to an officer in the first place.

911 [i](not the police or other emergency services/personnel)[/i] is a joke.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Prebans, you might want to suggest that your 911 look into how we do it. We have every phone line in the county pay $.25 a month for enhanced 911 service. Ours is outstanding, and I figure $.50 a month isn't going to break me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#26]
WOW, I get home and look what I've been missing !! OK, if traffic cops(or cops in general) are not just collecting taxes, then why have a monetary fine ????
Do you really think that paying a fine will deter the EVIL PERPETRATOR from doing it again ?? and if not then why collect the tax ??
My ex boss, drives like a coplete asshole, speeds, cuts people off, road rages all kinds of bad driving. He would brag about how many tickets he has gotten, for a bunch of different offenses. We naturally asked him why he continued to do it, and didnt it bother him ??
He said, I dont care, I just send em acheck and do it again !!
SOOOO, how does having someone pay a tax, eeerrr, a traffic fine do anything other than line the city coffers ???
[pyro]
BTW, tcsd, try not writing any taxes, eeerrrr, I mean tickets, for a few days (weeks) and see if some desk jockey doesnt bust your chops cause your not doing your job(collecting taxes)
[x]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#27]
[|)] zzzzzzzz
What Ever !!!

I don't have a "quota":
I can write as many tickets as I want. [;D]

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#28]
C'mon guys,
Let's give the LEO's a break, they've taken some serious abuse around here lately, deservedly I may add.
So let's have a moratorium on cop bashing threads until:
Someone else gets a bogus ticket or is
Harassed
Racially Profiled
Arrested for not wearing seatbelt
Ticketed for using cell phone
Sexually assaulted @ parade while police are
standing 20ft away from you
Violated with plunger
Mistaken for a rapist and Shot 41 times
Having their civil liberties violated in any way.

I guess that means the LEO bashing thread moratorium is over by the time you finish reading this.

It's unfortunate how one half makes the other half look so bad.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top