Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 3:41:18 AM EDT
I am taking a trip to Northern China, What do I need to Know ahead of time and what do I need to take with me
                               thanks tucker
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you going to Mongolia?  Friendly folks there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am taking a trip to Northern China, What do I need to Know ahead of time and what do I need to take with me
                               thanks tucker

Sanity, and the full knowledge that you will most likely encounter california like conditions
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#3]
99.9% of the people there will speak Chinese.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont talk bad about the government.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Learn how to use the chopsticks Which part are you headed? Harbin? Im in north east part of china, lots of AK's here!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Having been there twice, take plenty of anti-diahrea medice, don't drink any water that isn't sealed.

The people are great.

Have fun and IM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't protest or speak bad about the government. Drool over some hot female policewomen.
Avoid "Tasty Meat" stores (Zhiong Zhou Deng) which sell dog meat.
Stick with dumplings, noodles, and chicken. There are bound to be lots of fresh chicken there - they will grab a live chicken and prepare it for you on the spot.

Mandarin is the "official" language there, don't try to speak Cantonese to uniformed soldiers/officers!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#8]
go to Wal Mart...its cheaper and closer to home.  You will see may of the same things.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:17:07 AM EDT
[#9]
dont eat the dog/cat/other kinds of household pet meats
drink bottled H20
dont try the coke
dont get outta hand
enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:18:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Never drink the water unless you want a sh#$storm coming out from where the sun don't shine.

Always examine what you are about to eat.  Dumplings, most soups, etc. are OK.  Meat is usually questionable even chicken.  If you get lettuce and other vegys look for bugs first.

DO not disrespect their .gov or their police.  We won't see you again.

When someone knocks on your hotel door at 2 am and asks if you want "massagie" they are obviously a hooker.

Most newer public places have actual toilets; other places have a hole in the ground.

If you can't find a hole in the ground just do what the public does; piss on the sidewalk.

DO not attempt to drive over there unless you have flown a fighter plane through a very narrow and winding valley with chickens everywhere with success.

Street signs, stop lights, etc. are for show and not followed.

Enjoy the cheap CDs, DVDs, and other stuff.  Everything is negotiable there.

You will find the vast majority of people there are friendly and helpful but are scared shitless of their government.  

If someone is called the "Chairman" or "Commander" they expect respect.  

Are you going there on business or as a tourist?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Learn how to use the chopsticks Which part are you headed? Harbin? Im in north east part of china, lots of AK's here!

I'm Going to Fushun to meet my pen pal, and yes my pen pal is Female 37yo
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Never drink the water unless you want a sh#$storm coming out from where the sun don't shine.

Always examine what you are about to eat.  Dumplings, most soups, etc. are OK.  Meat is usually questionable even chicken.  If you get lettuce and other vegys look for bugs first.

DO not disrespect their .gov or their police.  We won't see you again.

When someone knocks on your hotel door at 2 am and asks if you want "massagie" they are obviously a hooker.

Most newer public places have actual toilets; other places have a hole in the ground.

If you can't find a hole in the ground just do what the public does; piss on the sidewalk.

DO not attempt to drive over there unless you have flown a fighter plane through a very narrow and winding valley with chickens everywhere with success.

Street signs, stop lights, etc. are for show and not followed.

Enjoy the cheap CDs, DVDs, and other stuff.  Everything is negotiable there.

You will find the vast majority of people there are friendly and helpful but are scared shitless of their government.  

If someone is called the "Chairman" or "Commander" they expect respect.  

Are you going there on business or as a tourist?

Don't worry about the chicken - it'll be fresh! The other meat would be questionable: dog, cat, cow, pig, etc... EVERYTHING is cooked in bacon grease/oil or something related to pork...

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:30:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Seek out Mr. Lee.

Ask about the "Ancient Chinese Secret"

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't know penpals still exist since the advent of the internet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been there 13 times. IM me if you have specific questiosn. Like everyone said, do not drink the water. Brush your teeth with bottled water. Do not take pictures of soldiers or check points. That will get you arrested. I know first hand .

Do not no matter how tempting, solicite a woman. They run scams where you will be relieved of your passport and it will be held for ransom.

Make 2 copies of your passport. Leave one home with a family member or friend. Take the other with you.

If you have time learn a few Manadrin words. I have a decent knowledge of mandarin and it goes a long long long way towards acceptance. Even if it's just Hi (Ni Hao) or thank-you (shi shi).

If you hear some one saying "lao why" (phonetic spelling) they are talking about you. It means "white faced devil" and is a common derogatory term for westerners.

sun wei lin   aka Bomber

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all that have helped with Info.  Please keep it comeing !!! [/
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Always examine your female to make sure it's not a shemale Just kidding enjoy your trip, and post some pics!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#18]
It is your duty to please that communist booty.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#19]
expect to think "hey, this is way more modern than I thought it would be"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#20]
The paucity of cockroaches less than 2 inches long is without parallel in the Western world.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#21]
The people actually like Americans and will be nice to you if you are not rude to them.  Surprising amounts of Chinese in the cities will also speak english.  Less so in the boonies.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#22]
It would be good if you could have a hepatitis A & B vaccine before coming over here, hepatitis is common around here.

It would also be good if you could do some research about the place so you'll have an idea whether it is a developed city or a province.

I'm here is the province of Xuzhou, nice people here.  But there are places where Chinese people are not so nice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I think your gonna have to go alot further south before you hear "me love you long time".
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Could Anyone add any thing more that I need to know for my trip ???
thanks  Tucker
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
                               thanks tucker

FOOD!  It sucks over there.  Seriously, bring some MRE's or some canned food or something.  You won't regret it!  I almost starved.

A couple good chinese to english phrase books (mandarin).

Pepto Bismal!  THe shit I got was chinese and it was in a poeder you mix with water.  Looked brownish after mixed, kinda like puke.  Did the trick though.  If your in a chinese pharmacy and they don't speak english just point at your ass and make a big exploding sound.  They'll hook you up.

Make sure you have enough clothes.  I didn't.  I was dry cleaning every other day.  All the clothes over there are, shall we say...Asian Cut.  I.e. Small in the balls section of the pants.  

Other than that you can find anything you can get here, over there.  Maybe more.

Have fun!

PS - The electronics, quality stuff at least is MORE expensive over there!  You can get cheaper and better here.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I bet the sweet and sour kitten chicken is tasty over there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't they fertilize their crops with human feces?

Never eat fresh veggies.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#29]
FOOD! It sucks over there.

A couple good chinese to english phrase books (mandarin).

Pepto Bismal! THe shit I got was chinese and it was in a poeder you mix with water. Looked brownish after mixed, kinda like puke. Did the trick though. If your in a chinese pharmacy and they don't speak english just point at your ass and make a big exploding sound. They'll hook you up.

Make sure you have enough clothes. I didn't. I was dry cleaning every other day. All the clothes over there are, shall we say...Asian Cut. I.e. Small in the balls section of the pants.

Other than that you can find anything you can get here, over there. Maybe more.

Have fun!

Thanks Now I will be packing more to wear, Thanks for the save
tucker
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#30]
+1 on EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thanks Now I will be packing more to wear, Thanks for the save
tucker

How long are you going for?

What city in China are you going to?

Are you palnning on staying in Hotel or with your penpal?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh yeh, fligh is very long.  Get business class if you can.  Very $$$ but worth it.  The back is like a cattle car.  The United flights have a outlet you can hook your laptop up to.  Good for passing time.  You need to get a special adapter.  Taurgus has em.  There are others too.  Do a google search.  Got mine at Circuit City.  The also sell at em the airport in Chicago, where United's direct flights leave from.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I am going to Fushun in the North and will be staying in a hotel for about 2 weeks
tucker
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Oh yah, they drive like crazy too.  Just close your eyes and let them do their thing.

For you trip from Bejing airport get a nice, comfortable taxi.  Looks like you have a long drive.  They have small, cramped chinese cars ones and larger american cars.  Splurge for american car.  

Yo should try to stay a little longer, like say 3 weeks.  At 2 weeks I was just getting over my jet lag.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I was there earlier this year. The only thing I knew how to say was "thank you" and I got along fine.

Remember this "Shi Shi" means thank you. Pronounced -> "Shay Shay" and they say it kind of fast so it's almost one word shayshay.

IIRC I think that "Pin Jew" (phonetic spelling) means beer and "Pin Swee" is water.

The food is terrible I believe that the ONLY reason why so many Chinese have been able to survive in their country is because they are garbage disposals. They eat ANYTHING. Half the time I don't think they even know what they are eating. Bring some MRE's, granola bars, beef jerky, etc.

Sometimes bottled water is also not safe. In China, if something CAN be fake, you probably WILL see a fake version and bottled water is no exception. Some of the "bottled" water is taken from the tap and will still make you sick, so bring some iodine tablets with you and packets of koolaid mix (to mask the taste of the iodine). That should keep you good.

Beware of Thai food. It's extreemly hot and spicy.

ETA: One more thing. "Right of Way" is a totally different concept in China. In China the person with the right of way is the person with the biggest, heaviest vehicle. That means pedestrians are the lowest on the totem pole. Don't expect any cars or bikes to stop for you if you are walking.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I am going to Fushun in the North and will be staying in a hotel for about 2 weeks
tucker

What's in Fushun? Is this a business trip? Meeting with govt. officials? Vacation?

The reason I asked is because I've been to China on official mission. Been to Beijing, Xiamen, and Shanghai. I've never been to Fushun, so I don't know anything about the place.

If you are going on business and will be meeting executives or govt officials then - as mentioned by several people here, do not say anything negative about their government. Government officials are very sensitive / defensive about their "democracy" (or their lack of). Government officials are also VERY sensitive about any subject matter with regard TAIWAN (so that's taboo also). They are very particular about protocol and seniority. Bring a lot of business card.

Check CNN weather on what it is going to be in Fushun. When we were there last year it was very cold and rainy in Beijing. But when we transfered to Xiamen, it was hot as hell!

Do not expect people to understand english! Majority of them do not speak or understand english! If you go shopping, you will be haggling by punching numbers in their calculators.  If you think the price is still expensive, say TAI QUE' ... meaning expensive! Don't be shocked if the vendor raises his / her voice. Thats their nature (much like in hongkong) ... they will even sometimes call you crazy for haggling too low. But the norm is, whatever the original price is, cut it in half as a counter offer. You will meet halfway from there.

Food. Generally they are what you are normally used to in Chinese restos there. Water: Yes, drink only bottled water.

Medicines: Bring the usual meds. headache, colds, diarreah etc.! IT IS HARD TO FIND WESTERN DRUGSTORES THERE! Lots of herbal stuff tho.

Have a safe trip!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The food is terrible I believe that the ONLY reason why so many Chinese have been able to survive in their country is because they are garbage disposals. They eat ANYTHING. Half the time I don't think they even know what they are eating. Bring some MRE's, granola bars, beef jerky, etc.

Sometimes bottled water is also not safe. In China, if something CAN be fake, you probably WILL see a fake version and bottled water is no exception. Some of the "bottled" water is taken from the tap and will still make you sick, so bring some iodine tablets with you and packets of koolaid mix (to mask the taste of the iodine). That should keep you good.

The food is terrible? WRONG. China has lots of excellent food. Just stick to the basics: rice, noodles, hot soup dishes--stuff that has been cooked long and hard. If you're a spoiled, fat-ass who won't eat a can of chili over here then, yes, you probably won't like the food. But I've eaten well all over Asia, including in China.

The water comments are true. Drinking local water will likely make you sick. Just follow all the rules you'd follow in, say, Mexico. Processed drinks are o.k....i.e. soda, beer etc... And the iodine koolaid suggestion is good. A lot of it depends on the hotel you stay in. The better the hotel, the better chance you have of getting clean bottled water versus the fake crap.

China is an awesome place. I'm envious of your upcoming adventures.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Don't they fertilize their crops with human feces?

Never eat fresh veggies.

Or 'catfish'.....

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The food is terrible? WRONG. China has lots of excellent food. Just stick to the basics: rice, noodles, hot soup dishes--stuff that has been cooked long and hard. If you're a spoiled, fat-ass who won't eat a can of chili over here then, yes, you probably won't like the food. But I've eaten well all over Asia, including in China.

The water comments are true. Drinking local water will likely make you sick. Just follow all the rules you'd follow in, say, Mexico. Processed drinks are o.k....i.e. soda, beer etc... And the iodine koolaid suggestion is good. A lot of it depends on the hotel you stay in. The better the hotel, the better chance you have of getting clean bottled water versus the fake crap.

Wrong? That was just my personal oppinion. I'm entiteld to have one aren't I? I hated the food when I was over there. But then I don't care for sea food either. Or pigeon, or cow tongue, or carp, or raw anything.

And I'm not a spoiled fat-ass. In fact I refuse to eat fast food. I make all of my own meals and am quite the health nut. I'm just not used to all the crazy crap they fed me when I was there.

ETA: Korean food on the other hand was very good. Korean BBQ's make my mouth water...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you're wrong the food sucks!  Unless you like chicken heads...no shit...you'll see them for sale on the streets around 9 Pm.  When you walk buy a long narrow charcoal grill on the sidewalk.  Take a close look.  Chicken heads split in half, the long way...beak and all.  

Also, the hotel or any kinda of western chain (fridays, kfc, etc) sucked.  The exception was some pizza joints and one local restaurant that was owned by an expat(The Parrot in Tianjin).  I hear the food is much better in bejing, but outside the city forget it.

The local chinese food is good, but often, especially outside the big cities you'll be the only westener in there.

Also, "Western Food" means American food, not a cattle drive.  And the "WC" mean "Water Closet" which is AKA the bathroom.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And the "WC" mean "Water Closet" which is AKA the bathroom.  

Ooops! Yup! I forgot about that one. Very important for when you want to go!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Also, "Western Food" means American food, not a cattle drive.  And the "WC" mean "Water Closet" which is AKA the bathroom.  

LOL, I forgot about the bathrooms. Fortunately the hotels we stayed in had normal toilets where I could do my business, but the one time I really had to go and I was at a restaurant, walked into the stall and .

NO TOILETPAPER!!! And the toilet is a hole in the ground that you have to squat over.

Make sure to pack toilet paper!!! You will need it! (Makes you wonder what they use don't it? )
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
                               thanks tucker

I just returned home yesterday after spending two months in China.  I'll tell you anything you want to know.  However, the bulk of my time was spent in the south, Yunnan Province.  So if you have any specific questions that would be great as I wouldn't know where to be begin.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#44]
stay away form the "ladies fo the night!.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Could Anyone add any thing more that I need to know for my trip ???
thanks  Tucker

A camera to bring us pics!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't get more than 1/2 mile from a known toilet.

You will be watched from the minute you enter China until the minute you leave.

The Chinese airlines will charge you for overweight baggage.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Bugged rooms and people following you?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Fushun?  Wow, you really are going to be in Northern China.  The Lioning Province is tucked into the top right corner of China with Russia on one side and North Korea on the other.  I lived there for about 4 months at "Fushun Shi Yo Ar Chang" or Fushun Oil Factory No.2, part of Sinopec.  Be prepared to be isolated.  Fushun is a tiny little city and refinery surrounded by farms and rice paddies.   About the only place of interest in that area to visit is the prison where they held Pu Yi, the "Last Emperor" of China.  It's worth taking the tour as long as you've seen the movie first.  Everyone in Fushun wants to go to Denali on the coast for a vacation, but few make it.

Summer is probably the right time to visit Fushun - in the winter it snows pretty good.  Fushun probably has about the same weather as Cleveland.

ShenYang is about two hours away by car (if you have a car) and it's almost like a real city.  You can also visit the Summer Palace there.  If you ride the trains, be warned and they have two classes - hard and soft. Do not ride "hard" class or you will be sorry.

There's an odd Chinese cultural quirk that I've never really seen mentioned anywhere but I ran into on all my trips there, both in the North and the South.  I call it "Two versions of the truth."  There are different "versions" of the truth depending on whether you're Chinese or a foreigner.  Now this is not considered deceptive, lying, or rude.  It's actually considered correct and polite to tell a foreigner what you think he wants to hear rather than the truth.   It's kind of like if your brother gets drunk and totals the car, and your family tells people he hit a deer.  You're not one of them, so they tell you what they think you need to know.  Be prepared to deal with this even from people you know and trust.

China is basically two different countries, seperated at the Chiang Jang or what we call Yangtzee River.  South of the Chiang Jang business and trading is alive and well.  Northern China, OTOH, is Chairman Mao Land.  Totally communist.  There are a few "Special Economic Zones" in the north, but nothing like in the south.

If you get down to Beijing, be sure to visit the Forbidden City and Tiannanmen Square.  There are bus tours up to the Great Wall (kind of interesting) and the Ming Tombs (boring.)  There's also a Norinco Shooting range just north of Beijing and that's a whole lot of fun.  The two telephone numbers I have for the range are 9771368 and 3013958.  Call for info and directions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Jalin Province is very interesting.Large portions were captured by the Japanese in WW2 there is a very strong anti Japanese feeling
I expect you will fly in to Chang Chun and drive (the trains are very dirty) When you land in Chang Chun you will see 100 plus Mig 17's on the runway most are in storage but everyonce and a while they get flown They sound like old motorcycles sans mufflers.
There are are few rest areas in Jalin bring extra tolet paper and alcohol swabs (you can't have too many) bring a small medical kit and a flashlight. Some US coins are good give a ways to the kids. You will be dirty everywhere be prepared for that. The Chinese people are very friendly just because they call you a Hairy Barbarian does't mean they dont like you. There is very little street crime I never worried when in the northern cities. See where they filmed The Last Emperor it's very cool.
The food is strange to non Chinese they have excellent veggies and be prepared to drink a lot with your meals "Gambey" it the toast  you will hear a lot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top