Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 9:45:25 PM EDT
Will my IL driver's license and a copy of my birth certificate get me in?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Those two documents should be enough. I brought the same documents for my visit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell the nice Canuck border guard that you have a grenade in you pants and an AR stuff up your butt, they will think its really funny and wave you through.  Make sure you emphasis butt.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not the going into Canada that's hard it's coming back into the States that can be a PITA.  

Don't take pictures of the boarder crossings

A relative of mine video taped the crossing on the way back and we were detained 20-30 minutes.  luckly her battery crapped out on her and she didn't get the pix.  It also helped that she was in her 70's or we would have been there longer.  And all this was about 15 years ago.

Brent
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
When coming back into the country over a land border crossing, the Customs/CBP/Immigration officer will accept a verbal declaration of citizenship.  If the inspector questions the legitimacy of your claim it is your responsibility to verify your claim.  This can be done with a series of pyramidial questioning.  A U.S. passport is ideal.  Short of that; your birth certificate and government issued I.D. will suffice.  

The laws pertaining to verbal declarations of citizenship while crossing land port of entries is supposed to be changing for the tougher although I am not sure if this has occurred.

I was a Customs agent on the southern border so my knowledge of the northern border lacks a little.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Just remember: The weed goes up your ass.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When coming back into the country over a land border crossing, the Customs/CBP/Immigration officer will accept a verbal declaration of citizenship.  If the inspector questions the legitimacy of your claim it is your responsibility to verify your claim.  This can be done with a series of pyramidial questioning.  A U.S. passport is ideal.  Short of that; your birth certificate and government issued I.D. will suffice.  

The laws pertaining to verbal declarations of citizenship while crossing land port of entries is supposed to be changing for the tougher although I am not sure if this has occurred.

I was a Customs agent on the southern border so my knowledge of the northern border lacks a little.  Good luck.

It's the same on the northern border.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I frequently cross into Canada at either the ME, NH or VT crossings, and back into the U.S.  I've only ever had my DL with me.  I don't believe a Birth Certificate is necessary.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I frequently cross into Canada at either the ME, NH or VT crossings, and back into the U.S.  I've only ever had my DL with me.  I don't believe a Birth Certificate is necessary.

Yes and no.  A birth certificate is not required but a DL is NOT proof of citizenship.  That is a common mistake made by a tourist returning to the country.  

Customs/Immigration inspectors don't question someone that holds up their DL when crossing the border because they know that only an American would be so ignorant to think that a DL is a valid entry document.  Illegals are not that dumb.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#9]
A driver's license is all you need to get into Canada if your a US citizen.  As long as you don't have a DUI or criminal record you should be all set.  Getting back into the US, you should have it ready in case they ask.  As long as your a US citizen, they can't refuse to let you back into the US.  If you look like a shitbag or look arab they may keep you there and do a good vehicle search, etc.  

Don't take any pictures or joke about having anything illegal (weapons, cuban cigars, etc.).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't go. If you do, be prepared for some American bashing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, I got searched on the way back in, obviously worrying about marijuana.  Being a 19 year old guy sucks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yup, I got searched on the way back in, obviously worrying about marijuana.  Being a 19 year old guy sucks.

So, did they find it?

My brother, the rocket scientist, was coming to the U.S. for some skiing and the bus pulled over for customs.  Everybody got out and had to dump the content of their pockets onto a table.  He had a little plastic container full of roaches (pot) that he was saving for his bong which he dumps on the table with the rest of his pocket junk.  He carefully sneeks the container back into his cargo pant's pocket.  Customs frisks him and find nothing.  Gets back on the bus.  Similar story with an ounce of magic mushrooms.  I never get near the stuff since I like my guns too much.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top