Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 8:38:34 PM EDT
Went to the range today...uncased the AR, slapped in a mag, ready to rock...nada. Click.

Wait 30 seconds, chamber another round, same deal. Again, and still nothing.

It appears the firing pin is making a mark on the primers, but a very light one.

Is my firing pin broke? Spring?

Help!

P.S. It's an Oly plinker.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you remove and inspect the firing pin?  Did you check the bolt for obstructions?

Hold it up to the screen so I can have a better look at it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You answered your own question. Read it again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously though, unless you can either give us more info or tear it apart and tell us what you see... you description of the problem is vague.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you remove and inspect the firing pin?  Did you check the bolt for obstructions?

I did not remove the firing pin.

No obstructions on the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Hammer spring is most likely spent or your using LC ammo with hard primers.  If its not your firing pin.  Its your hammer spring.  We need a lil more info to help ya like what ammo were you shooting?  But I had the same problem when shooting LC in one of my ARs with a JP adjustable trigger.  Hammer spring was TOO light for the miltiary ammo and only went click with a light inent on the primers.  Worked great with commerial match grade ammo but not with the LC.  Swapped out the hammer spring and fixed it no problem.    Good Luck post back if it fixes or doesnt fixx your problem.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
When you pull the bolt back, does the round eject or sit in the chamber?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it a new never fired gun?
If it is it could be many things, Out of spec. parts, Etc. Etc.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hammer spring is most likely spent or your using LC ammo with hard primers.  If its not your firing pin.  Its your hammer spring.  We need a lil more info to help ya like what ammo were you shooting?  But I had the same problem when shooting LC in one of my ARs with a JP adjustable trigger.  Hammer spring was TOO light for the miltiary ammo and only went click with a light inent on the primers.  Worked great with commerial match grade ammo but not with the LC.  Swapped out the hammer spring and fixed it no problem.    Good Luck post back if it fixes or doesnt fixx your problem.  

Q3131a.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
When you pull the bolt back, does the round eject or sit in the chamber?

no feed or ejection probs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, remove the firing pin and have a look at it.  And check INSIDE the bolt (where the firing pin goes) for obstructions.

Alright.

Umm...how do I do that?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is it a new never fired gun?
If it is it could be many things, Out of spec. parts, Etc. Etc.....

Naw, it's been fired.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, remove the firing pin and have a look at it.  And check INSIDE the bolt (where the firing pin goes) for obstructions.

Alright.

Umm...how do I do that?

there's your problem sir... probably have some "gradoo" in the bolt/firing pin assembly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
AHHH he doesn't know how to remove the firing pin. Sorry lol.

Its easy. Take out your bolt carrier. On the side you will see a hair pin (bobby pin) looking thing. (Busted out the technically jargon) Pull it out. Now the firing pin should fall out from the bottom. Now push the bolt head down and turn the rectangular thing sideways and pull it out. Now the bolt will come out.

I have a feeling this directions are horrible. But its the best I could come up with since I honestly don't know what half the parts correct terms are.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright.

Umm...how do I do that?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Its easy. Take out your bolt carrier. On the side you will see a hair pin (bobby pin) looking thing. (Busted out the technically jargon) Pull it out. Now the firing pin should fall out from the bottom. Now push the bolt head down and turn the rectangular thing sideways and pull it out. Now the bolt will come out.

I have a feeling this directions are horrible. But its the best I could come up with since I honestly don't know what half the parts correct terms are.

It was a joke...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Get more memory.  Damn, I thought it was another one of those computer threads.  Sorry!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#21]
READ A MANUAL.HERE YOU GO ROOKIE
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a joke...

No need to be embarrassed about your level of knowledge.  None of us were born with what we know.  If you need help or directions, please don't hesitate to ask.  Nearly everyone of us would be happy to assist you.  

No worries...it's just that the firing pin and bolt all look good.

I guess it's the hammer spring?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Ahhh...I see that there was a spring wedged in between the hammer and the trigger assembly.

it's about an inch long. there is also a hollow cylindrical part, with a nipple at one end, where it appears to be sheared off. the part is a 1/8 wide by 1/2 long, and hollow.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, your buffer retainer has popped out of place. It should be located in a hole drilled at the bottom of the ring machined at the rear end of your lower receiver, where the buffer slides back into the buffer tube/buttstock. You need to put it back in the hole (with the spring underneath it) so it properly retains the buffer and buffer spring in the buffer tube, then screw in the buffer tube just a bit to hold the buffer retainer properly in place. Problem solved... that'll be $25 please .
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
OK, your buffer retainer has popped out of place. It should be located in a hole drilled at the bottom of the ring machined at the rear end of your lower receiver, where the buffer slides back into the buffer tube/buttstock. You need to put it back in the hole (with the spring underneath it) so it properly retains the buffer and buffer spring in the buffer tube, then screw in the buffer tube just a bit to hold the buffer retainer properly in place. Problem solved... that'll be $25 please .

LMAO

I see...done.

Thanks man, come to TX and I'll buy you a beer!

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#26]
So, hammer springs...Is it common to have this problem with Q3131a?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top