Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:29:57 PM EDT
As you go through life do you leave a wake behind you? How many people will remember you after you have come and gone? Will their children hear stories of you? Will they have good things to say?

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
In a few spots.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I dunno about when I'm "gone" but I can tell you that after having Taco Bell today for lunch, I left a "wake" in the elevator and down a couple of hallways.  And I KNOW that people will be talking about that wake for many minutes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I won't. But I humbly hope I do.

Quoted:
I dunno about when I'm "gone" but I can tell you that after having Taco Bell today for lunch, I left a "wake" in the elevator and down a couple of hallways.  And I KNOW that people will be talking about that wake for many minutes.

That's the first thing that came to mind too! Cropdusting, I call it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
When I go the T-Shirts will say: Captainpooby died and all I got was this T-Shirt.

ETA: I'm not dying just because it will too embarassing when no-one shows up at my funeral.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Seriously though....a friend of mine who has the same job and position of me recently died.  Because of our jobs, there are plaques hanging in his memory and there were 1200 people who attended his wake over 3 days.  He's spoken of numerous times a week and is sorely missed.  If I croaked, I think I'd get a similar turnout and would definitely leave a wake.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
What I find funny about life is the times I felt I did go out of my way for someone are never brought up, but  lots of things I did without thinking, and completely forgot, are brought up years later as either "that was so funny... or that was really nice of you when you..."

What you think of as "wake worthy" and what your real wake is, are probably very different.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I effect alot of people.

In subtle ways.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Think about that for a minute, if people actually knew that was you, all of those little instances would add up to your total wake.

Myself and my roomate have talked about this subject for years and we are both trying to leave a pretty big wake behind by acruing a large amount of small incidents, and some big ones.

Example: about 10 years ago when trying to do some under age drinking in HS, and finding the police at every turn throughout the evening, one of the guys was quoted as saying "man, I just want to go home, jack off, and go to bed." I am sure that he did not think anything about what he said before hand, but there are 4 other guys who will quote that to this day and tell the story atleast a couple of times a year.

I am not sure that is what that kid wanted to be known for, but it is part of the wake he is leaving behind.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess/think so.

In the last couple of years I've had 3 ex girlfriends track me down and 5 or 6 old friends as well. That kind of effort MUST mean you've left a lasting impression.

I was also the first of my friends to try a lot of newer things that all of them later adopted themselves, so I know for a fact that my opinion carried some sort of weight.

I've lived comfortably with the respect of my friends that mean the most to me-I can't ask for much more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

funniest thing I've heard all day. LMAO
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't know and won't care.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm hoping to travel through life more like a canoe, rather than a speed boat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]
check this out

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=376106

not so much his parting, but the replies.  

I am not the religious man I should be, but I read in the bible that we are like puffs of smoke that drift up and we are suddenly gone.  our lives are short and full of trouble.  each generation repeats the errors of the last, forgets the sacrifices of the last, and utterly throws away it's legacy, be it freedom or wealth.  to me, you are a stranger.  it helps me to remember that to God, I am someone he knew before I was born.  that the hairs on my head are numbered.  that not one bird falls from teh sky that he does not see.  few make an impact on others around them, the best you can hope for is to make in impact on your children, maybe your spouse.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

funniest thing I've heard all day. LMAO

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top