Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:28:11 PM EDT
Anyone ever have a surgical proceedure done where some  part of your anatomy was removed and you demanded that the hospital/surgeon allow you to keep it?

Is there any legal obligation on their part to honor your request?

If they did return it to you, what did you do with it?

I have a reason for asking, but the details are unimportant.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My kid had some teeth extracted and he wanted them. They wouldn't let him have them as they were classified as "medical waste".

Probably the same with organs nowadays.

ETA: Imagine what a conversation piece though. Someone has their arm mounted and displayed with their deer and fish mounts
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have actually wondered if ya could do that.  That'd be pretty cool, like, to have your own spleen or some shit in a jar of formaldehyde.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My kid had some teeth extracted and he wanted them. They wouldn't let him have them as they were classified as "medical waste".

Probably the same with organs nowadays.

ETA: Imagine what a conversation piece though. Someone has their arm mounted and displayed with their deer and fish mounts

"wouldn't let him"???  If I ever have something removed they won't have a choice in the matter.  Grumble.  

Sorry but I am pissed off at the medical profession today.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I had my thymus removed. Apparently, while I was good and lit up prior to going into the OR, I became VERY insistent about taking my thymus home with me. I of course remember none of this.

I do remember waking up and vomiting all over the respiratory tech.

As an FYI, should you ever have a sternotomy (your chest cracked open through the midline), you should postpone vomiting until at least 2 weeks after the surgery. That will realign your whole fucking pain scale.....

GT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had my thymus removed. Apparently, while I was good and lit up prior to going into the OR, I became VERY insistent about taking my thymus home with me. I of course remember none of this.

I do remember waking up and vomiting all over the respiratory tech.

As an FYI, should you ever have a sternotomy (your chest cracked open through the midline), you should postpone vomiting until at least 2 weeks after the surgery. That will realign your whole fucking pain scale.....

GT

Post pics of it!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
it happens every day..

American Indians of old belief have to save every part of the body that is removed and have the "parts" buried before they move on themselves..

the hospital must release it to you...........if requested.

same as with
Products of Conception  ( very, very early miscarriage of identifyable form)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I had my conscience taken out a while back. I keep in in a 35mm film canister.  It's blue.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Post pics of it!!!!!

They didn't let me keep it. I am sure they just told me they were gonna to get me to shut the fuck up. My dad said that I was pretty funny while I was lit up. At least until they started to wheel me towards the OR.

I'll see if I can find the pics of me in the horsepistol with my chest tubes in...

GT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
If I ever have to have my hemmorhoid removed (it bleeds alot now) I'm going to keep the little bugger in a jar at my desk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
In 1971, at the age of 9,  I had my appendix removed.  I asked the doctor before the surgery to save it for me.  He said he would.  When I woke up after the surgery I was disappointed that I didn't see a jar with my appendix.  The surgeon vistited me a day later.  I asked where my appendix was and he said, "your appendix was only half bad, and I found a kid that needed another good half".  

So at the age of 9 I bought the BS..
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I ever have to have my hemmorhoid removed (it bleeds alot now) I'm going to keep the little bugger in a jar at my desk.

Depending on the severity, shape and/or size, use it as a pen/pencil holder.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depending on the severity, shape and/or size, use it as a pen/pencil holder.

I could shellac it, make it stiff, and stick my pen in it.  Genius!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anyone ever have a surgical proceedure done where some  part of your anatomy was removed and you demanded that the hospital/surgeon allow you to keep it?

Is there any legal obligation on their part to honor your request?

If they did return it to you, what did you do with it?

I have a reason for asking, but the details are unimportant.

When you sign the consent form at the hospital, you give up your rights to have your parts returned.  You can cross this out.  But then, the hospital or your surgeon will realize your are "different" from 99.99999% of the rest of their patients and wonder what other tricks you may have up your sleeve down the road.   They don't really want to find out.  They will then ask you to find another hospital and surgeon  An ounce of prevention......

Also, why are they removing a part?  Because you are sick and it is diseased.  Need to send it to pathology to rule out cancer or other nasty.  "Hmmm, too bad I'm dying of metastatic cancer of the gallbladder, but the ol gall bag looks good on the mantle.  Honey, when I'm gone, promise me you will leave it there and think of me"  

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
If anyone asks... tell them it's a cherry (or depending on your situation; root beer), Life Saver that got stuck to your desk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If anyone asks... tell them it's a cherry (or depending on your situation; root beer), Life Saver that got stuck to your desk.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
A recent incident in Lawrence KS highlighted this.  A man was taken into custody after people reported that he had a human foot in a bucket on his porch.  

He did.

It was his.  He had some sort of congenital defect of the foot, and after multiple surgeries to fix it he kept having problems.  They amputated, he insisted on keeping his foot.

You can read the article here in the Lawrence Journal World.

Karen Shumate, vice president of quality services for LMH, said people are allowed to keep body parts if they want them.

“They’ve had women that want their uterus. People take tonsils. They take appendixes,” she said. “I think it’s unusual that someone would want a foot, but it’s within their rights because it’s theirs.”

ETA:  He was released and the foot was returned to him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
People want their parts all the time.  It is almost always impossible, because of the pathology issues, and medical waste issues, as well as liability.  There are not even that many religious situations, unless you happen to die right then and there, in which case your next-of-kin gets all the parts.  Long gone are the days where the spleen or appendix is proudly perched on top of the hearth, floating merrily in a jar of formaldehyde.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a couple of subcutaneous cysts.  Turns out looking at them in the Doc's office was sufficient for my curiosity, they weren't all that interesting after a good look.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]
lets see they wouldnt let me keep my wisdom teeth, or the screw from my big toe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Had the tip of my clavicle cut off to repair a separated shoulder.  I told the surgeon I wanted to keep the bone to make a keychain. He said OK.

After the surgery, I asked him for it and he said "we don't do that".  He only agreed beforehand  because it was easier than arguing.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Had the tip of my clavicle cut off to repair a separated shoulder.  I told the surgeon I wanted to keep the bone to make a keychain. He said OK.

After the surgery, I asked him for it and he said "we don't do that".  He only agreed beforehand  because it was easier than arguing.

Damn, what a sniveling weasel.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#22]
They wont let you keep anything nowdays

I had a screw removed form a leg last year...........I wanted it to put with the one that I removed from my foot years ago....................and they told me:

It aint happening............its all treated as bio-hazards these days
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a liver transplant in 2000 and I asked my surgeon if I could have a piece of it to put in a vial. He couldn't, but I did get to go down to the lab two days after the procedure and poke at it. It was in terrible shape.I have pictures somewhere, I gotta dig around and find 'em.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I insisted on keeping two teeth that were extracted. The nurses sealed them in a plastic wrapper of some sort and gave them to me shortly after the operation. Some doctors may have some sort of draconian insurance policy that requires them to dispose of all body parts, regardless of what the patient requests. This is the only reason I think they might refuse to do it.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
There was a radio show here in Detroit the other day where a guy brought in the foot he had amputated. He had kept it in a bucket of formaldehyde since 1992.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#26]
They wouldn't let me keep my testicle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I had no problem getting the bullet fragment i had removed
I just asked for it and they said sure
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#28]
my doctor let me keep my chunk of L4/L5 disc but it shriveled to nothing after a few months even when it was in a sealed jar
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#29]
7 perfectly square gallstones, size of dice.  (AZ) Guess that is a product of an organ.
Daughter requested her son's placenta, which was planted with a tree.(MO)
I guess it just depends on where you live.  
My childrens first home was removed, and I had NO interest whatsoever in keeping it, but they would have let me, even asked They said some people are sentimental.
Keeping body parts like that is like finding joy in road kill.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#30]
my d--k is in my hand does that count?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
my wisdom teeth from high school. still have them somewhere in a film canister
if I ever get anything else taken out, assuming I'm conscious when they make the decision vs some emergency surgery after an accident, I'm going to ask to keep it
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I found a piece of my embylicle cord in an old album my mom made once. I told my dad to ask the doc for his hip after he had hip replacement surgery. That woulda been cool as shit but he forgot.
If I have to ever get a nut removed I am damned sure keeping that bitch, ain't no stuff shirt beamer driven pric doctor tellen me I can't keep my damn balls... saven those for the wife.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#33]
If something ever happens to me that causes my arm/hand to be amputated, I want it to be brought to a taxidermist and have him either:

1.) Pose it so that it's giving the bird.
OR
2.) Pose it so that it can be used as a backscratcher..... Then sell it on ebay! Naw, I'd keep it... unless the bid was high enough.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#34]
No but I would have liked to see the carcenoma they removed when they took my kidney.  I am just curious to see what a football size tumor looks like!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top