Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:01:40 PM EDT
I was looking for some old gun bible books I have in my basement and found some old SOF magazines. Its strange to look at the want adds and see all the will do anything adds and all the mercenaries   posting adds  looking for work . Anybody else remember these. They wouldn't have a problem now finding work
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was looking for some old gun bible books I have in my basement and found some old SOF magazines. Its strange to look at the want adds and see all the will do anything adds and all the mercenaries   posting adds  looking for work . Anybody else remember these. They wouldn't have a problem now finding work

I wonder how many of them were serious, and how many were posers.  I wonder if any of those posers ended up getting in way over their head?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember those ads. Barely. That was back when all the "I was there" columns were about the Viet Nam war, and the USSR was a big threat. Man, I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure a lot of them were posers. But some were real ,guys out of  Nam looking for action.
I think the police did a sting or something with one of the adds and hired  him to kill someone.
Thats when SOF said no more adds
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Dale Gribble had an add?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I had some old issues when Dale Dye (Capt USMC ret.) just ook over as editor

Lots of jobs in the back for the Rhodesian Army
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think Dale Gribble had an add?

Waiting for a phone call.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had some old issues when Dale Dye (Capt USMC ret.) just ook over as editor

Lots of jobs in the back for the Rhodesian Army

SOF still sells that shirt
One of the biggest merc campaignes in history
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember them well. Also remember some ineresting advertisements in the back for things like "Homeade C4" from common materials.

Not real C4 but it did blow up nicely.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I also remember very well that we couldn't have SOF on base back then
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
and the balastic knife kits.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I always thought they were fake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top