Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:40:12 PM EDT
Every year my kids give presentations at our county fair.  Every year I ride their butts and hound them and they get their act together and do a pretty decent job at it.  This year I reminded them daily to work on their presentations but didn't hound them.

They finally threw something together tonight and to be quite honest, they suck.  Its going to be ugly. I hate doing it to them but geese louise how much am I suppose to do for them?

Patty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta learn somehow....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Failure can be the best teacher.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, my sentiments exactly.  I hate doing it but they've got to learn.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you ever consider that maybe they don't want to do it?

Try asking what they want.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you ever consider that maybe they don't want to do it?

Try asking what they want.

They signed up for it so I would assume they want to do it.  It is a requirement here for 4H.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They're just too tuckered out from pushin' an old Chevy around all day yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They're just too tuckered out from pushin' an old Chevy around all day yesterday.

you could be right there!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
What does the presentation entail?
Are they showing an animal?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What does the presentation entail?
Are they showing an animal?

Not tomorrow.  Tomorrow they have to give a presentation on really anything.  I typically encourage them to stick with how tos, or when, what, why issues for ease [how tos are easiest].

They'll show their animals August 17th.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Then let them do it on their own and suck at it.  At least be supportive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
One year me and my bro did  chickens for 4-H...

Our beagle, Bootsy got into the pen and  massacred 30+ out of the 50 in an hour.

I got a "good try" trophy just for showing up with my three survivors...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Then let them do it on their own and suck at it.  At least be supportive.

I will.  I wouldn't show them this thread either.  Its hard for me to see them fail too but its not right for me to do it for them either.  We'll all learn something I guess.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Post pics!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Its a hard thing to do, but you are a good mom for letting them stand on their own, too many parents today would come up with excuses to the fair officials, complain its unfair and otherwise teach their kids its ok to be a slacker and then bicth and whine about the outcome.

my hats off to you
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Patty,

A very wise man (me...yeah, I'm humble too) once said "A pat on the back is only inches away from a boot in the ass."

There is a lot of truth to this.  One of lifes great lessons is often a humbling experience.  Kids spend the first 10 or so years of their life getting praise (rightfully so) for every new experience... i.e., first steps, first day of school, first tooth etc...  Unfortunately, as much as we praise our kids, it sets them up of unrealistic expectations in the real world.  Not everyone thinks kids are as cute as their parents do.  At some point, the cute factor wears off and some real talent and hard work have to step up.  It sounds like your kids are at that point.  

I am not implying that your kids aren't cute or talented, I am merely saying that it might be time for them to start learning to stand on their own a bit.  

Needless to say, I hope they do well and get through it ok.  
Top Top