Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 7:33:24 PM EDT
Nee-jair?  

CNN is cracking me up.  They're trying the same spin that morphed the word "jungle" into "rain forest", making it somehow seem worth pouring money into.  Little doubt that it's part of an overall campaign to guilt the American people into backing "famine relief".  Same sh*t, different summer...  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell if I know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
More liberal PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Just like Qatar, is "cutter"..... Nope....

myitinaw
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, last I heard it was pronounced like NIGH-jur.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Within the last year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nee-jair?  

CNN is cracking me up.  They're trying the same spin that morphed the word "jungle" into "rain forest", making it somehow seem worth pouring money into.  Little doubt that it's part of an overall campaign to guilt the American people into backing "famine relief".  Same sh*t, different summer...  

Might be because the Communist news network has a lot of foreign reporters.
But I watch Fox News.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Uh, last I heard it was pronounced like NIGH-jur.

If you want to hear the "new" pronunciation, tune in to CNN sometime.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds too much like ni@@er.  We can't have THAT.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe it's not incorrect after all. hmmmm
---------------------
dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Niger

check out the second pronunciation.

eta:  I've always used the first pronunciation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
last I heard it was "Nigh-Jeer". fuck it, let's call it "country of color".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe it's not incorrect after all. hmmmm
---------------------
dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Niger

check out the second pronunciation.

What was it before CNN started pronouncing it the new way?

Probably the first pronunciation listed.  That's what I've always used.  Ni-jer.  I don't know if there was another way of saying it.  I'm not sure I've ever heard it out loud. (weird)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just like Qatar, is "cutter"..... Nope....
myitinaw

actualy the proper Arabic pronounciation is "gutter".... but whatever.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Shouldn't the pronunciation be based on the native language of the person pronouncing the word?  For example...Ricotta when referred to by people who speak Italian pronounce as "ReGoat", however the English pronunciation is Rih-cott-a.  It seems that when people attempt to use the foreign pronunciation of a word instead of their own native pronunciation that they end up sounding like a jackass.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]

you're right, that might cause me trouble
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Uh, oh.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#19]
It's been called "nee-JAIR" since, well, the French named it that. I've always pronounced it "nee-JAIR" though. Most Americans, though, learned to pronounce it "NYE jur". However, I feel that that pronunciation in niggardly, at best.

On the "cutter/gutter" issue: In the Arabic languages the hard "K" sound is generally recarded as more "masculine" or "powerful". So, you will find Western Arabs saying "Kutter", while non-Western Arabs who tend to hate the West and seek to denigrate Qatar because they've "sold out" () will say "gutter". Incidentally, the place really is a gutter. All the dregs of the Arab world end up there, either heading out to the Indian Ocean to hob-knob with their Jamaal Islamia cohorts, or coming from the Indian Ocean as pirates seeking to establish themselves among the rest of the Arab outlaws on the peninsula.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I loved hearing the white bread reporters chattering away in the 80's about the strife in Central America, and then hear them throw out a visciously accented over-pronunciation like Ni Caah Au Gua or Daniel Or-r-r tehga witha rolled "r".

So damn funny.

Idiots
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
cnn needs to buy some wet-lands in the swamp.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's been called "nee-JAIR" since, well, the French named it that. I've always pronounced it "nee-JAIR" though. Most Americans, though, learned to pronounce it "NYE jur". However, I feel that that pronunciation in niggardly, at best.

Aaaaaaaaagh

BAN HIM!!!!!!!!!

Hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a perfectly good CNN bashing thread!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How about moss-COW?

Oh, yeah. The town in Idaho, right? Spelled the same as the capital of Russia, which is pronounced "MOSS coe."

In southwestern Missouri (miz oo RUH) there is a town called Nevada (nuh VAY dah), not to be confused with the state, Nevada (nu VAD uh). Missouri also has a town named Lebanon (LEB nun), like the country (leb un ON).

Next lesson: Pronounce the capital of South Dakota!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
That's how Rush was pronouncing it earlier today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
NPR is doing it too...I almost didn't recognize the country name.  

I think they're reverting to the French pronunciation.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I would like to take this opportunity to confirm that there is in fact NOT a city in Niger named "Please". Let's not get anyone else banned.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I think either pronunciation is correct..from dictionary.com (njr, n-zhâr)...errr, phonetics didn't show up, but it has both pronunciations
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

On the "cutter/gutter" issue: In the Arabic languages the hard "K" sound is generally recarded as more "masculine" or "powerful". So, you will find Western Arabs saying "Kutter", while non-Western Arabs who tend to hate the West and seek to denigrate Qatar because they've "sold out" () will say "gutter". Incidentally, the place really is a gutter. All the dregs of the Arab world end up there, either heading out to the Indian Ocean to hob-knob with their Jamaal Islamia cohorts, or coming from the Indian Ocean as pirates seeking to establish themselves among the rest of the Arab outlaws on the peninsula.

I'm no expert, but it is my under standing that Arab countries don't have "K"s, or "Q" or 24 other letters.  If, the english spelling is Quatar, there must be reason for it.  I'm guessing that the reason is that it is meant to be pronounced KA-tar,  not cutter, and not gutter.  Frankly, how it pronounced in Arabic, or French for that matter, is of trivial interest.  All that really matters is that when you are speaking english, you pronounce it in such a way as other english speaker know what the hell you are talking about.

Ricotta is Ri-Cot-A.  Which actually isn't that different from how my brothers mother-in-law (Italian) pronounces it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Thu cap i TAL uv south Da KOT a
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Thu cap i TAL uv south Da KOT a

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I would like to take this opportunity to confirm that there is in fact NOT a city in Niger named "Please". Let's not get anyone else banned.

Thank you.

Someone got banned for posting that picture? Seriously? It's fucking hilarious!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

Someone got banned for posting that picture? Seriously? It's fucking hilarious!

+2 someone got banned for that pic?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
CNN    Whatever.....   friends of my wife just spent 2 years there as missionaries....  they pronounce it NIGH-jur.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone remember that old SNL skit from the late 80's with Jimmy Smits?

They did a skit mocking how news reporters always seem to pronounce Latin American countries and cities the Spanish way, even though they pronounce everything else the American English way.  Anyway, these reporters are sitting around, filing a story about Nicaragua, and Jimmy Smits is the only Latino.  The white reporters keep rolling their r's and sounding Spanish whenever they say Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, etc.  Then lunch comes and they start asking who had the Burrrrito?  The enchilada?  All with the exaggerated accent.  Jimmy smits gets annoyed and asks them to stop it.  The reporters are all "Why? We thought you liked that."  "No! It drives me crazy!"

"Ok, sorry Juan. We were trying to be culturally sensitive. Now, let's look over the next story about the tor-NAH-do that destroyed a trailer park in Oklahoma........"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm no expert, but it is my under standing that Arab countries don't have "K"s, or "Q" or 24 other letters.  If, the english spelling is Quatar, there must be reason for it.  I'm guessing that the reason is that it is meant to be pronounced KA-tar,  not cutter, and not gutter.  Frankly, how it pronounced in Arabic, or French for that matter, is of trivial interest.  All that really matters is that when you are speaking english, you pronounce it in such a way as other english speaker know what the hell you are talking about.

Ricotta is Ri-Cot-A.  Which actually isn't that different from how my brothers mother-in-law (Italian) pronounces it.

Actually, none of the pronunciations thus far are correct.  The word "qatar" in Arabic starts with the Arabic consonant ghayn, and we don't have an equivalent.  It's kinda like the "kaw" sound in "cough", but harder and deeper in the throat.

But I think trying to pronounce names of cities/countries in their native tongue is stupid.  I speak English, and I reserve the right to Anglicize the hell out of anything I want.  I'm not going to start running around talking about Paree  or Milano or Deutschland, so why shouldn't I call it "Cutter" and "Ny-ger"?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top